Problems! Tein SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Problems! Tein SS

Ok. I'm not sure what the hell happened tonight. Me and some buddies installed my Tein SS and to make a long story short, the front is adjusted all the way up and still looks slammed. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. Those in the know help me out. I'm pissed that it took me this long to put this shit on and something is wrong. Hopefully operator error. The ride isn't harsh at all, not bouncy, not too stiff. I did bottom out a couple times but it IS slammed in the front. Help, Help, Help.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn man. You sure they are for the car?
Old 06-25-2006, 03:31 AM
I'm Cool

Odd, make sure you have the right model number, and that you didnt' mix up the springs. Front should consist of more spring coil compared to the rear. And why don't you just move the height adjuster towards the middle? Hope that suggestion help, cause i still don't know what the problem is
Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Blitz- definitely double check your part numbers. Did you buy them new or used? Can you snap a few pics of the car as it sits? Maybe a pic with the wheel off so I can see the coilovers and how they are adjusted and, also a pic of under the hood where the tophats mount.

P.S.- I know I'm a tein hater but to each their own. You may like and love them forever. I have just had to many issues with their products. I'll try to help you figure out what the problem is if I can though.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 PM
3-piece FTW

I would suggest not driving on them because the same thing happened to a buddy of mine. Wrong springs for the fronts and he ended up blowing a front shock cause he drove on it too long while waiting for the new springs. Check the part #.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Recently turned 18

Ok. I'll snap a few pics soon. Last night I had that feeling you get in your gut when something Very wrong has just happened. Can't believe this crap.

I might have to email someone the pics. I'm not at home so I can't resize/post some of the pics I'm going to take.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Racer

Did you put everything on that you needed from your stock springs and struts? Can you close your hood or does the bolt stick out to far?

I made a mistake when I first installed mine, forgot to transfer something over so the front would sit really low and the bolt would hit my hood when closing it.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Recently turned 18

I'm going to go oustside and snap some new pics between the pour downs. Like I said, I need someone to host pics if possible. I probably won't be at my own computer until tomorrow.

Looked like all the hardware was transferred over.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:45 PM
3-piece FTW

You got an AIM? IM me on "Tire Shack" if so. I'll host the pictures for you if Im still here by the time you get back.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Recently turned 18

I may have found the problem. Looks like the springs are flip flopped. TEIN.com lists 1070's front, 040's rear. I can barely make out the numbers on the rear springs, but they appear to be the 1070's.

This is a partial relief. Now comes doing the suspension all over again. Maybe I should order the "upgraded" springs while I'm at it. I hope this IS the problem. I will be blowing enough cash as it is. Don't need to add another suspension set up to it.

BTW, unless someone is a lawyer and can read fine print, the directions do NOT distinguish front springs from rears by any part # whatsoever.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by Blitz
I may have found the problem. Looks like the springs are flip flopped. TEIN.com lists 1070's front, 040's rear. I can barely make out the numbers on the rear springs, but they appear to be the 1070's.

This is a partial relief. Now comes doing the suspension all over again. Maybe I should order the "upgraded" springs while I'm at it. I hope this IS the problem. I will be blowing enough cash as it is. Don't need to add another suspension set up to it.

BTW, unless someone is a lawyer and can read fine print, the directions do NOT distinguish front springs from rears by any part # whatsoever.

Blitz you can also email me pics. jdm5lughatch@gmail.com I am interested in seeing the under the hood pic as well. If you forgot the washer then you will have a problem like you are having. The springs should be the same size with the only difference being the spring rates. The spring rate in the front should be higher than that in the rear. So you do need to swap them.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Recently turned 18

Found this pic as reference (NOT MY PIC). The fronts are a different size at the top. They also hang at a differnt location than the rears, hence the immediate slammed stance at factory settings and why it was so difficult to get the springs to the top setting.

My car looks so silly right now. I'm actually embarassed for myself, imports and Acurazine to have it looking like it is. Side shots tomorrow pending heavy rain.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Now with i-Vtec

The only thing I'm worried about is did you remember to install the washer in the fronts. If you did then when you swap the springs around that should fix your problems.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be a stupid question but did you follow directions and use parts that came off the car. I messed mine up on the first time around, and then we decided to read and follow step by step what it said and they came out fine.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Recently turned 18

The Tein instructions show assembly of the coilovers fine, it's if you get the springs mixed up that the issues come into play. I wasn't thinking like a technician the other night, I could've caught the spring issue then with a quick hop on Tein's site from their computer.

OEM washers were installed as directed on both ends.

Guess we learn our lessons. Can't wait until this is resolved.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blitz
The Tein instructions show assembly of the coilovers fine, it's if you get the springs mixed up that the issues come into play. I wasn't thinking like a technician the other night, I could've caught the spring issue then with a quick hop on Tein's site from their computer.

OEM washers were installed as directed on both ends.

Guess we learn our lessons. Can't wait until this is resolved.
When are you going back to get it fixed?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Recently turned 18

Well...Brandon got a little too aggressive on the strut bar bolt and busted the stud, so he's supposed to pick up the replacement today. Hopefully by tomorrow. In the meantime I need to get my other ride working so it can be driven.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 AM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, when i installed mine, i forgot the washers as well. at least it came back apart alot easier the second time.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

I don't know about the CL but on the TL there is a metal piece on the stock strut that we took off and put it on the coilovers and oh boy it sounded like I blew a rod when I test drove it. That is when we got out the instructions and followed it line by line.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Recently turned 18

Yeah, the washers and grommets and blah blah are cool because their pointed out exactly what you need from them and the old parts and in what order, but man...hahaha, they need to tell you which end goes on what just in case you do like we did and get the springs all mixed up.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
3-piece FTW

Tein states that you put the spring right side up so that the word "Tein" is read appropriately. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

how did you guys mix it up? Were you guys rushing?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Recently turned 18

Originally Posted by htown
Tein states that you put the spring right side up so that the word "Tein" is read appropriately. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Hahaha, they're not upside down, they're on the wrong end. Front/back, back/front.
Originally Posted by btsilver
how did you guys mix it up? Were you guys rushing?
We were doing fine at first but then it looked like it was going to rain. We moved all the parts in and just sat everything out on the shop floor. The shitty thing is, we "thought" we had put the rear spring in the front on the passenger side, so we took that back out and put the other springs on. Look at the picture up top, the real fronts (1070) look like the OEM rears. So once we couldnt' find a definite answer in the instruction manual, we just went off what the OEM's looked like. Nope, wrong. I should've asked Brian to use the computer right then. Wasn't thinking, we were hot, sweaty, tired, hungry. Will be fixed soon.

This is how it looked at INITIAL setting.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Blitz- definitely double check your part numbers. Did you buy them new or used? Can you snap a few pics of the car as it sits? Maybe a pic with the wheel off so I can see the coilovers and how they are adjusted and, also a pic of under the hood where the tophats mount.

P.S.- I know I'm a tein hater but to each their own. You may like and love them forever. I have just had to many issues with their products. I'll try to help you figure out what the problem is if I can though.
hey JDm were any of the TIEN problems you faced related to a creaking sound when the spring when up and down?? I ask because I have been facing this for a few months now and cant seem to find a fix.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by Phesto
hey JDm were any of the TIEN problems you faced related to a creaking sound when the spring when up and down?? I ask because I have been facing this for a few months now and cant seem to find a fix.

Yeah but that's an easy fix. You can just go buy some wire wrap/loom that is coiled. Just wrap the bottom couple coils and it should eliminate the noise. Shouldn't take you very long and you can install it while the suspension is on the car. The reason they make noise is because there is no preload on the springs and they just flop around on the perches. After you install this stuff the spring will fit really tight around the perch. So when you hit a bump the spring will stay in place instead of moving around.

Here is a link.... http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Blitz- From the pics you sent me you still have a lot of adjustment left in the front. I's just gonna be hard because you are compressing the spring. Swapping the springs around should fix your problem indeed.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Recently turned 18

Yeah, once I get the springs swapped there's no telling how much different the drop will be. The springs pics I sent are rears. I can't even get to the front yet.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:20 PM
3-piece FTW

Dear Blitz,

I don't see anything wrong with that pic. Infact, I think it looks great.

Cheers,
htown
Old 06-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Dear Blitz,

Cheers,
htown
lol true but only you guys in Houston can roll that low without losing a bumper
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Recently turned 18

Dear Blitz,

Cheers,
htown
You......is crazy. I would rip my shit up around this town. Maybe when I was back in Atlanta I could roll like that.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
Yeah but that's an easy fix. You can just go buy some wire wrap/loom that is coiled. Just wrap the bottom couple coils and it should eliminate the noise. Shouldn't take you very long and you can install it while the suspension is on the car. The reason they make noise is because there is no preload on the springs and they just flop around on the perches. After you install this stuff the spring will fit really tight around the perch. So when you hit a bump the spring will stay in place instead of moving around.

Here is a link.... http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Wow I missed this post,thanks for the help I am going to try this out for sure.....Getting tired of having to turn up Stereo
Old 06-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by Phesto
Wow I missed this post,thanks for the help I am going to try this out for sure.....Getting tired of having to turn up Stereo

Let me know if that fixes the problem you are experiencing.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Recently turned 18

Yeah, I've noticed mine are kind of clunky sometimes too. I need to find the torque specs to all that stuff, re-torque everything, put my MDX coil thingys on and cross my fingers that fixes my noise. I hate that. I can understand feeling a slight difference since it's modified, but hate hearing it.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

try JDm's fix first.................the isolator thing already didn't work for me.