Okay!! To make the Masses happy... here you go!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Okay!! To make the Masses happy... here you go!

Okay, I have received countless numbers of PM's about my DIY Spring/Shock install... If it is available in "printer friendly" format. Okay, I can't take it anymore, you guys are driving me nuts! j/p. So here it is in PDF format:

Right-Click Save-As

It's not the best PDF format, but hey! You can at least print it!

Old 05-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool. I copied this topic, changed the title and put it in the Extremely Useful Topics are as well!!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now that you've had your suspension for a couple of months care to give a review on how you feel about the bilstein/h&r combo?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Adventurist.

Review @ 2K:

Ride quality: Same as stock. But no floatiness or "swaying boat" feeling when cornering. A tad stiffer all around and you can feel the road more.

Looks: Awesome! 1 3/4 finger gap all around, for an even look.

Camber: When I received my alignment, I was only off by .1 in the front and almost nearly OEM specs in the rear.

Toe and Caster: OEM spec, no problems

Leaks: As everyone must know, these shocks were designed for the Accord V6. Heavier weight on shocks that are not intended for the car generally lead to leaks. I have not noticed or observed any leaks at all. I just recently removed all four wheels to retorque my sway bar bolts and didn't notice a thing.

Abnormalities: No sounds or "something is wrong" noticed. Over speedbumps, the car does NOT bounce, so no worrying about scraping or having a headache in your school/work parkinglot.

Conclusion: This combo is exactly what I was looking for in the quality of ride and performance. Sure, coilovers would have up'd the performance, but the ride quality is not there. Like I said before, I chose this combo simply because I did not require a fully adjustable suspension for my style of driving. On top of that, changing damper settings in the rear would have been a PITA. The quality of the shocks is amazing, as is with all Bilstein products (stainless steel perch, self-adjusting gas tube, etc.). The drop is not too low where I have to slow down for everything, exactly what I wanted. Braking lunge (sp?) has decreased significantly, so the nose doesn't feel like it's diving on hard braking maneuvers. Since I am the first to have this combo, at least around here on the A-CL forums, I will try to update every few K's to keep people posted. Overall, if I could do it again, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Edit: Pushing the car to it's limits: with every car I have ever driven, I test it out on a canyon road on the way to the beach, 4 lanes wide, only few people know of this road, uninhabited, steep decreasing radius right turns. Before my suspension, I was able to break the tires loose at 75mph on this road, slowing down b/c of the fear of my own life. With this suspension, I easily broke through 120mph w/o any loss of control. If that puts anything into perspective.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:24 PM
I Want a GPW 03 S2k

hey niteqwil sorry for stocking u the past couple days, but im very close to getting the H&R sprts, now im lookin at shocks, any updates on the bilsteins as far as leaking, and how much were the bilsteins, cheapest place to pick them up at
Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Adventurist.

Back from the dead

No problems with the Bilstein shocks. I recently inspected them when I mounted my wheels about 750 miles ago. Good as day one (6-7K ago).

Cheapest place to get them is online on eBay from what I've found. I bought mine off eBay for $400. The guy was super nice and even shipped them to me next-day for free. ID name was techdeals1 with 99.5% feedback.

Now being the first to have the Bilstein shocks, YMMV. So saying that, if you're unsure with life expectancy or reliability, I would say go for the GB on the Konis or Tokico shocks.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I Want a GPW 03 S2k

thanks a lot man on your quick responses