My driving impressions with my new Comptech/CT Rear Sway Bar:

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010 | 05:08 PM
Banned

My driving impressions with my new Comptech/CT Rear Sway Bar:

I recently just installed my new Comptech/CT Engineering Rear Sway Bar.

I didn't really notice a big difference, but i AM noticing a bigger difference in Steering response. I guess i am noticing a small difference in body roll as well.

This is normal right?
Old 01-15-2010 | 05:30 PM
B A N N E D

well the front does not have to take as much of the body roll now do to the stiffer rear bar
but yeah you will notice the things you said very slightly, but now if you try to actually push it through a courner, you will notice the front hold better (due to the rear taking some of the load/body roll off of it), but the big thing is that the rear will come around easier; so just be careful till you get use to it
Old 01-15-2010 | 06:12 PM
Banned

oh i see
Old 01-15-2010 | 06:24 PM
3.5 psi

push it a bit on one of those highway entrances where you have to turn a lot...it will feel much more planted.
Old 01-15-2010 | 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

would replacing the front bar help the rear sway be better?
Old 01-15-2010 | 06:35 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 2Fast4you
would replacing the front bar help the rear sway be better?
would kinda go back to stock like handleing if the new front bar is stronger then the stock one (only issue is that i think the stock one is the stongest or almost is; cause aftermarket ones are the same diameter as the stock one, but might have thicker walls though idk) but with less body roll

so i am just running my stock one with urethane bushings that i ordered, to help stiffen it up, up front (eibach rear)
Old 01-15-2010 | 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by friesm2000
would kinda go back to stock like handleing if the new front bar is stronger then the stock one (only issue is that i think the stock one is the stongest or almost is; cause aftermarket ones are the same diameter as the stock one, but might have thicker walls though idk) but with less body roll

so i am just running my stock one with urethane bushings that i ordered, to help stiffen it up, up front (eibach rear)
is the eibach rear sway bar as good as the progress one?
Old 01-15-2010 | 06:55 PM
3.5 psi

yes aftermarket front bars are the same diameter but are solid metal. The oem ones look like they are hollow and are pinched on the sides.

I think Eibach and Progress are the two biggest bars. 24mm??
Old 01-15-2010 | 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gnuts
yes aftermarket front bars are the same diameter but are solid metal. The oem ones look like they are hollow and are pinched on the sides.

Congratulations on your 1,000th post
Old 01-15-2010 | 07:02 PM
B A N N E D

is the eibach rear sway bar as good as the progress one?
i got it the eibach with my car, but has held up just fine, with 50k miles on it or so

and no they are not solid for the fronts, look at eibach's front (give me a sec to find it for ya)
and yes the stock one is hollow

ours are 27mm iirc (at least for the type-s, not so sure about the tl-p, or cl-p)
Old 01-15-2010 | 07:04 PM
3.5 psi

1000! Alright! what do i win? a lipkit??

I was talking about the rear bar diameter. Yes the front is 27 i believe.
i bought the front and rear eibach bars used and sold the front bar for what i paid for both

Last edited by gnuts; 01-15-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2010 | 07:07 PM
B A N N E D

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/acura-cl/sway-bars/ for the tubalur aspect, but it says it is adjustable, so might have to rethink about getting one
Old 01-15-2010 | 07:09 PM
B A N N E D

1000! Alright! what do i win? a lipkit??

I was talking about the rear bar diameter. Yes the front is 27 i believe.
i bought the front and rear eibach bars used and sold the front bar for what i paid for both
for buyer but on dealing,

also do you remember if the front had been adjustable

and rear says 23mm
Old 01-15-2010 | 11:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jacobpockros
I recently just installed my new Comptech/CT Engineering Rear Sway Bar.

I didn't really notice a big difference, but i AM noticing a bigger difference in Steering response. I guess i am noticing a small difference in body roll as well.

This is normal right?
If coming from stock to a bigger rear bar you should experiance significantly flatter cornering and, as said above, the rear should come around better.

Does your Comptech come w/ the rubber bushings? I believe Comptech changed to rubber from polyurethane to reduce squeaks/creaks.

I went from stock to urethane bushings on the stock bar and the handling improvement was noticeable. Then I switched to the Comptech bar w/ rubber bushings and it seemed like there was a bit more roll than using stock bar /urethane combo. Finally went w/ the Progress w/ urethane bushings and have it on the stiffer setting and there is the least body lean and best rotation w/ this setup. If I lived in a wetter climate I might be less inclined to use the stiffer setting on the Progress in fear of ending up ass backwards due to unexpected oversteer.

If I were to do it over again I would have stopped at the Comptechs and just got some urethane bushings for it. Of course the best bet would be to just get a bar like the Progress that comes w/ the urethane bushings in the first place.

The front stock bar was kept, but the bushings switched to urethane resulting in improved turn-in response.

Front lower frame bar (DIY) also helped improve turn-in.

Additional upper front strut bar didn't seem to add anything.

Rear lower strut bar seemed to add nothing.

And after all the bars and other suspension work, the CL-S will still never handle like a sports car, dang it. But at least my car feels pretty safe when cornering or transitioning enthusiastically as opposed to when it was stock.
Old 01-15-2010 | 11:46 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by monkeybutt
If coming from stock to a bigger rear bar you should experiance significantly flatter cornering and, as said above, the rear should come around better.

Does your Comptech come w/ the rubber bushings? I believe Comptech changed to rubber from polyurethane to reduce squeaks/creaks.

I went from stock to urethane bushings on the stock bar and the handling improvement was noticeable. Then I switched to the Comptech bar w/ rubber bushings and it seemed like there was a bit more roll than using stock bar /urethane combo. Finally went w/ the Progress w/ urethane bushings and have it on the stiffer setting and there is the least body lean and best rotation w/ this setup. If I lived in a wetter climate I might be less inclined to use the stiffer setting on the Progress in fear of ending up ass backwards due to unexpected oversteer.

If I were to do it over again I would have stopped at the Comptechs and just got some urethane bushings for it. Of course the best bet would be to just get a bar like the Progress that comes w/ the urethane bushings in the first place.

The front stock bar was kept, but the bushings switched to urethane resulting in improved turn-in response.

And after all the bars and other suspension work, the CL-S will still never handle like a sports car, dang it. But at least my car feels pretty safe when cornering or transitioning enthusiastically as opposed to when it was stock.
reason for being careful when first starting to push it, but yeah got snow to deal with here, so part of the reason for me also wanting the front stiffer (just bushings for me though) to reduce the likihood of unexpected oversteer

PICS , i don't like the swivel points on the cusco one
Old 01-15-2010 | 11:49 PM
B A N N E D

also i don't like on our cars how the back end seems to lift up when you start pushing it around courners
Old 01-15-2010 | 11:52 PM
Banned

Now that i drove it again, i'd say i now see a bigger difference. I pushed it on corners and it drives like a dream. The rear end hasn't broke loose yet, but we'll see.
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:16 AM
Banned

WOW. Forget everything i said.

Just took my car out for a night drive. I pushed it as much as it could be pushed.

Taking very sharp turns at 60mph at the maximum 7,200rpm redline with EASE.

I previously could only take those turns at 55mph with screachy noises from the tires.

I also took a very sharp U turn and the back end gave out and oversteer was greatly improved.

Probably one of my favorate mods now.

Amazing
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:28 AM
B A N N E D

WOW. Forget everything i said.

Just took my car out for a night drive. I pushed it as much as it could be pushed.

Taking very sharp turns at 60mph at the maximum 7,200rpm redline with EASE.

I previously could only take those turns at 55mph with screachy noises from the tires.

I also took a very sharp U turn and the back end gave out and oversteer was greatly improved.

Probably one of my favorate mods now.

Amazing
5mph faster is it :shakehead

yeah i got one long courner near me that is nice and open, that i can normally do like 80 around (proably could go faster, but have not tried though, but most people only do like 60 around that courner max
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:32 AM
Banned

5mph faster is it :shakehead

yeah i got one long courner near me that is nice and open, that i can normally do like 80 around (proably could go faster, but have not tried though, but most people only do like 60 around that courner max
Well this corner is very sharp. I can take some turns at 85-90 but i don't really do that anymore it gets way sketchy. Are you 6-Speed or Triptronic?
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:37 AM
B A N N E D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06518&t=h&z=18

don't know how to get it to show on here, so just look at link
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:41 AM
B A N N E D

sadly the slush-o-matic, hopefully 6-speed one day
Old 01-16-2010 | 12:57 AM
Instructor

to be able to take a turn at a small higher speed is a significant difference considering their is no aerodynamic improvement! to take a turn from 74 to 81, for example, is HUGE! when pushing the limit, 1-3 mph is the difference between negotiating the turn or kissing a tree.
Old 01-16-2010 | 01:01 AM
Racer

reason for being careful when first starting to push it, but yeah got snow to deal with here, so part of the reason for me also wanting the front stiffer (just bushings for me though) to reduce the likihood of unexpected oversteer

PICS , i don't like the swivel points on the cusco one
Hey friesm2000 if by the 'Cusco' one you mean the lower front frame bar then yes I enthusiastically agree that the mounting points and the whole bar hangs too low unless you want to be a street sweeper.

Sorry I don't have any pics of my DIYer as my family says I'm retarded/resistant that way.
But as I recall, I got some channel steel from OSH or Home Depot.
Then comparing it to mounted pics of the cusco bar, I approximated appropriate mounting places on the frame then I slightly bent the channel steel to clear the exhaust pipe.
Then I cut the channel to the right length, drilled a mounting hole into each end of the channel bar and then drilled correlating holes in the frame. Grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers were used to secure bar to frame.

I just went to the garage to look under my car and the lowest points at the middle of the bar and the heads of the large bolts are only about 3/4 " lower than the exhaust collector.
Might be a fun and low cost project for some. And as stated above it was the only bar install or replacement other than the larger rear sway bar that gave a noticeable improvement in handling. This mod helped turn-in feel about as much again as the change to front sway bar urethane bushings. Not huge, but I feel it helps. In fact it may have helped me swerve around a lady who drove out into the intersection against a red light and just froze there in front of me at 6:15 this morning.
Old 01-16-2010 | 01:46 AM
Banned

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06518&t=h&z=18

don't know how to get it to show on here, so just look at link
Nice
Old 01-16-2010 | 02:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

The better rear bar makes for improved cornering because the rear inside tire cannot lift as much; therefore more grip from more rubber kept on the road. The reduced body roll also keeps the front inside tire planted resulting in the better steering feel. The guy that taught me this stuff raced for ten years at Summit Point, W. VA. SCCA class. Good stuff.
Old 01-16-2010 | 09:54 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

i just got the 3rd gen tl progress rear swaybar and love it. 24mm, adjustable. i have it on stiff and love the feel. the car is so predictable now.
Old 01-16-2010 | 11:20 AM
B A N N E D

Hey friesm2000 if by the 'Cusco' one you mean the lower front frame bar then yes I enthusiastically agree that the mounting points and the whole bar hangs too low unless you want to be a street sweeper.

Sorry I don't have any pics of my DIYer as my family says I'm retarded/resistant that way.
But as I recall, I got some channel steel from OSH or Home Depot.
Then comparing it to mounted pics of the cusco bar, I approximated appropriate mounting places on the frame then I slightly bent the channel steel to clear the exhaust pipe.
Then I cut the channel to the right length, drilled a mounting hole into each end of the channel bar and then drilled correlating holes in the frame. Grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers were used to secure bar to frame.

I just went to the garage to look under my car and the lowest points at the middle of the bar and the heads of the large bolts are only about 3/4 " lower than the exhaust collector.
Might be a fun and low cost project for some. And as stated above it was the only bar install or replacement other than the larger rear sway bar that gave a noticeable improvement in handling. This mod helped turn-in feel about as much again as the change to front sway bar urethane bushings. Not huge, but I feel it helps. In fact it may have helped me swerve around a lady who drove out into the intersection against a red light and just froze there in front of me at 6:15 this morning.
yes i was refering to the "cusco" lower frame bar, me no likey the pivots

then maybe at least of a pic or two of your bar then, even having it mounted is fine

also i did notice a improvemant when i did my upper strut bar, but i also got a comptech one, but the f***er won't let me do the MDX spacer mod easiler
Old 01-16-2010 | 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rajca
i just got the 3rd gen tl progress rear swaybar and love it. 24mm, adjustable. i have it on stiff and love the feel. the car is so predictable now.
could not use better word to describe the feeling of that mod
Old 01-16-2010 | 02:43 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

I need some sway bars, next mod I hope.
Old 01-16-2010 | 05:23 PM
Banned

And here she is:

Old 01-16-2010 | 05:50 PM
B A N N E D

, but the b-pipe , so you need this
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/comptech-b-pipe-02-03-acura-tl-s-brand-new-756522/
to match your CT axlebacks
Old 01-17-2010 | 03:01 PM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Does the CT bar have poly or rubber bushings?
Old 01-17-2010 | 03:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by n0rmal
Does the CT bar have poly or rubber bushings?
The Comptech rear sway I had came with rubber bushings, so I replaced it w/ the Progress bar. In retrospect I could have just got polyurethane bushings for the Comptech.
Old 01-17-2010 | 03:41 PM
Banned

, but the b-pipe , so you need this
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756522
to match your CT axlebacks
Thanks. And as far as the B-Pipe goes, it's underneith the car and is original, so im not gonna bother replacing that. Plus, all cars have rust like that somewhere underneith
Old 01-17-2010 | 03:55 PM
B A N N E D

Thanks. And as far as the B-Pipe goes, it's underneith the car and is original, so im not gonna bother replacing that. Plus, all cars have rust like that somewhere underneith
can still be seen from behind

ummmm...... NO, not if you wash it off on a regular basis, and live in a fairly dry enviroment (ie: arizonia)(even colorado is fairly dry [let alone no salt in the air from the ocean, like cali], so you can set something outside for months unpainted and only have very light surface rust on it
Old 01-17-2010 | 04:10 PM
Banned

can still be seen from behind

ummmm...... NO, not if you wash it off on a regular basis, and live in a fairly dry enviroment (ie: arizonia)(even colorado is fairly dry [let alone no salt in the air from the ocean, like cali], so you can set something outside for months unpainted and only have very light surface rust on it
i guess. I DID get the car shipped down to California from New Jersey, so i guess thats why. But the car still looks perfect
Old 01-17-2010 | 04:38 PM
B A N N E D

i guess. I DID get the car shipped down to California from New Jersey, so i guess thats why. But the car still looks perfect
that definetly does not help it at all, with there salted roads there
Old 01-17-2010 | 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

mines from Florida so there is little to no rust on it
Old 01-17-2010 | 05:12 PM
B A N N E D

mines from Florida so there is little to no rust on it
proably still some but not nearly as much as a northeast car

Quick Reply: My driving impressions with my new Comptech/CT Rear Sway Bar: