K SPORT coilovers HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
K SPORT coilovers HELP!

okay so i just dropped off my car at the shop, im super busy with work and going out of town this weekend so i dont mind paying for the installation. QUESTION IS! on the lower thread travel mount where do you set it at, in other words HOW many total inches of thread do you have showing on front and rear. thank you so much! i need to get back with the guy by tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
ridin slow'n'low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no set amount for it, thats how you are supposed to adjust ride height on the ksports. If your guy doesn't know this, I suggest either takin it elsewhere, or doing it yourself.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by smokendsm
There's no set amount for it, thats how you are supposed to adjust ride height on the ksports. If your guy doesn't know this, I suggest either takin it elsewhere, or doing it yourself.
do you have k sports? if you do then you know there is TWO places to adjust the height, one is just like every other coilover (i have teins already), and the other setting is at the bottom, and once its set you cant adjust it unless you take them off the car. i need to know where to put this bottom setting at (in other words how many TOTAL inches of threads shows)
Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Pro

and yes there is a set ammount for the BOTTOM ring, cus if you do it too high or too low then you have to take everything back apart just to adjust it again. yes my dude (and i) know what the fuck im talking about and so does everyone else with ksports, thats why i said k sports in the thread title, not coilovers, or teins, K SPORTS! im not pissed but you clearly dont have k sports or else you would know what im talking about and would have helpfully provided an answer. BTW i took it to a place that does this and boykits turbos etc everyday, i didnt take it to pepboys or sears. i told him that i would tell him tomorrow morning how many inches to set the bottom ring at and if not then just install as is. thanks guys
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Pro

see at the bottom of the strut right above the mounting bracket there is a second place to adjust the whole coilover system. i need to know where this needs to be at.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM
ridin slow'n'low

Yes I know what ksports looks like. I've installed these on my friends car.. You're supposed to adjust the height on them via shock body lenght, not spring perch.

That's why I said you might as well do it yourself..
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Pro

Yes I know what ksports looks like. I've installed these on my friends car.. You're supposed to adjust the height on them via shock body lenght, not spring perch.

That's why I said you might as well do it yourself..

but you need a general idea of where to put the spring perch at, or did you just install as is from the factory?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
ridin slow'n'low

Unless someone else chimes in with a better idea, you're gonna have to basically eyeball/guess the shock height. You're gonna need to take them off to make big adjustements anyway. Unless you wanna ride slammed right away Its not really that hard to adjust them anyway.

We ended up slamming it (control arms in the front don't travel up any further):

Had to use a scissor jack to get the floor jack out too...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
ridin slow'n'low

As for spring perch, I believe you have to hand tighten it. Then go up a few turns from there. That may be in the instructions sheet.This is your preload setting..
Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Pro

As for spring perch, I believe you have to hand tighten it. Then go up a few turns from there. That may be in the instructions sheet.This is your preload setting..

not sure what you mean by this. yes i want to be slammed, i already am tucking rears and zero gap up front on the teins. im going to call ksport tomorrow morning and ask them
Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Racer

let us know what you came up with, i might be asking the same question next week...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ralphie917
let us know what you came up with, i might be asking the same question next week...
i had my guy call excelerate, he explained it very well. all i know is the ride is great and im tucking 4 corners with no problem

if you do need some help PM me when the time comes, ill tell you where to set the lower adjustment at.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DLntheCL
i had my guy call excelerate, he explained it very well. all i know is the ride is great and im tucking 4 corners with no problem

if you do need some help PM me when the time comes, ill tell you where to set the lower adjustment at.
Well i guess im in the clear since i plan on having excelerate perform the install...

Did the staff at excelerate give you the exact measurements needed or did you have to decide how much adjustment you needed according to your own tastes?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ralphie917
Well i guess im in the clear since i plan on having excelerate perform the install...

Did the staff at excelerate give you the exact measurements needed or did you have to decide how much adjustment you needed according to your own tastes?

no, there is no exact measurements (for the shock tower, thats for your taste) however to speed up the install time there is or should be for the lower adjustment, cltypeslow would have helped me but he doesnt have his car right now. once its installed the only movement you have is on the shock tower just like every other coilover, that can be a lot or a little, depending on where you set the bottom adjustment at. i havent looked to see where or how much threading is showing, he did say that if i wanted to adjust i would have to take the wheel off unlike on the teins where i could squeeze my arm in there when jacked up. i almost with there was 2 pro kontrol coilovers with one having an option of having the standard shock tower adjustment only, that would ease installation.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
ridin slow'n'low

I don't think you realize what advantages coilovers like the ksports offer. The whole point to adjusting height via shock body instead of via spring perch is to have the same handling characteristics at different heights. This is why they are preferred for "slamming" applications.

If you leave the shock body lenght at one setting, you're just robbing yourself of adjustability that you paid for. They are meant to be disconnected to adjust height.. (which might I add, is not particularly hard or time consuming)
Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Pro

I don't think you realize what advantages coilovers like the ksports offer. The whole point to adjusting height via shock body instead of via spring perch is to have the same handling characteristics at different heights. This is why they are preferred for "slamming" applications.

If you leave the shock body lenght at one setting, you're just robbing yourself of adjustability that you paid for. They are meant to be disconnected to adjust height.. (which might I add, is not particularly hard or time consuming)

no i totally understand. lets say your an inch lowered and have 3 inches of strut travel, you can adjust the coilover to be slammed and also have 3 inches of strut travel, i know exactly how it works and its benefits but how can you say that this is not time consuming, there is nothing to really guess about, every measurement is somewhat critical. you do need a "starting" point though then make adjustments off of that