Just Installed Continental Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Installed Continental Tires

Just installed my Continental ContiExtremeContact (all 4) and I'm relieved to be off that spare tire. Also got an alignment done. Alignment wasn't bad at all; only needed to adjust the Left Front a little.

The tire seems to be about the same in terms of noise. I felt the bumps with these a little more than I did with the stock tires. So far, not too bad.

I think the tread looks great. And I didn't realize it before I bought, but it is a directional tire.

I'm looking forward tomorrow, when I will be doing some highway driving. Not that I'm an agressive driver to begin with, but I'll be keeping it mild for the next few days or so.

One way or another -- Very happy to be off stock tires. Even though the Michelin A/S Pilot looked nice, I just won't buy another Michelin.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Race Director

Received 897 Likes on 544 Posts
My mechanic will have them tomarrow and install them for me if this f*cken weather allowes for me to get there.

After driving in the snow today, I got to get off these POS stock tires.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Let me know how it works for you in the snow. It's been mild with regard to snow in Chicago. Good luck, too!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Another satisfied Conti customer
Old 12-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Instructor

As to be expected, it is a different ride. It is a little bouncy as compared to the stocks. For some reason, the steering wheel "feels" different, too. But I like how it feels.

Turning is great. I have much more confidence now. So far, quite happy to have them on!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I am not really a satisfied conti customer, just yet anyway. I ordered them about two weeks ago and had them mounted and balanced the same day I got them (trip #1- about two hours) I noticed some vibration so I brought them back in to have a road force balance done on them (trip #2 - another three hours) They found that three of four tires were out of spec and couldn’t be properly balanced. I called tirerack and they sent me three new tires, so now I am riding around on tires that vibrate with three new tires, two in the trunk and one in the back seat, trying to find time to have them swapped out.

I'm hoping that they all come out good and the vibration goes away. If not I am going to have to fight to have them take these tires back and get something new all together.

Anyone else have any balance issues with these tires? I'll let you know how the new ones come out. I am having another place do the balance on them this time. Hopefully everything comes out well!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear that. Did you go to a chain or an independent?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

I had balancing issues at the gas station that mounted them. But I took them to Mr. Tire and got them balanced and since then no problems.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Banned

Re: Just Installed Continental Tires

Originally posted by John*K
Just installed my Continental ContiExtremeContact (all 4) and I'm relieved to be off that spare tire. Also got an alignment done. Alignment wasn't bad at all; only needed to adjust the Left Front a little.

The tire seems to be about the same in terms of noise. I felt the bumps with these a little more than I did with the stock tires. So far, not too bad.

I think the tread looks great. And I didn't realize it before I bought, but it is a directional tire.

I'm looking forward tomorrow, when I will be doing some highway driving. Not that I'm an agressive driver to begin with, but I'll be keeping it mild for the next few days or so.

One way or another -- Very happy to be off stock tires. Even though the Michelin A/S Pilot looked nice, I just won't buy another Michelin.
You had Sport A/S? We have the Pilot HX MXM4 XL on our cars stock...they are pure touring tires...any upgrade to performance tires will be immediately noticed
Old 12-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Instructor

No, I don't have the Sport A/S. I was thinking about buying them, but decied that the Continental would meet my needs best. It is a highly rated tire at a pretty good price.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by John*K
No, I don't have the Sport A/S. I was thinking about buying them, but decied that the Continental would meet my needs best. It is a highly rated tire at a pretty good price.
Not bad...they did come in at a real cheap price....cuz they are still testing the market...however, they used an old tire design they had in Europe....but the price isn't too bad though.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:53 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
do yourself a favor and get some blizzacks for the snow!! Last night was my first experience with them since the stock tires last season. They pulled right through the snow, was like driving a whole new car. No more of them side drifts when trying to accelerate.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Instructor

I actually did want to go with Blizzaks, but changed my mind at the last minute. For the most part, all seasons will do me okay.

If you get your tires installed, make sure that they are inflated at the correct pressure. I checked the pressure today and found them to be at 40 psi. That was the tire pressure stated on the tire. That's also probably why the tires seemed bouncy.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

I run my Conti's around 32 psi
Old 12-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Instructor

That's what I meanr, sorry. I meant htat they are supposed to be at 32 psi. The guy who installed them overinflated them at 40 psi, but I didn't check them until I got home.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mrsteve
I had balancing issues at the gas station that mounted them. But I took them to Mr. Tire and got them balanced and since then no problems.
How would you compare the tire rack price + shipping + mounting and balancing compared to Mr Tire's all in one price? I don't need new ones yet but, if there's only a couple dollars difference. the hassle factor may weigh in.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Starter
How would you compare the tire rack price + shipping + mounting and balancing compared to Mr Tire's all in one price? I don't need new ones yet but, if there's only a couple dollars difference. the hassle factor may weigh in.
I don't think Mr. Tire carries the Conti's in stock. They would order them from Tirerack.com actually. When I went to get them balanced they said next time to have them shipped directly there.

I think the Conti's cost me $380 shipped. Plus like another $80 to have them balanced at Mr. Tire. I would go there and get a quote from them. It will probably be around $115-$120 a tire mounted and balanced.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

I've been running my Conti's for over 10k miles and I really like them. Summer time, they really hold and pull the car off the line. Slippage is very minimal. Winter time, they really help trek thru the snow. Some slippage but to be expected since its not a full winter tire. I think its definitely a good middle ground between summer and winter performance tire.

NOTE: When I had mine mounted, the sales guy told me that he too has been using them for a long time and recommended that I rotate my tires about every 5k miles. He says the rubber compound is softer and is prone to quicker wear. I have rotated mine twice since installation and so far I have plenty of tread and what looks like even wear.

-Rich
Old 12-07-2003, 10:03 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I've heard too many negative reviews of Contis to ever put them on my car. Two of my friends purchased them for their TLS and RSX S because they were a good deal and actually exchanged them for other tires!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JZ
I've heard too many negative reviews of Contis to ever put them on my car. Two of my friends purchased them for their TLS and RSX S because they were a good deal and actually exchanged them for other tires!
What exactly have you heard??!!
Old 12-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Good tip on rotation rmarin2. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2003, 02:16 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

I also have the contiextreme contacts for the winter months, experienced my first snow with them, and they worked fine with minimal slippage!! wear seems to be ok, had them for about 3000miles or so, I was scepticale with Continental, but i tried these out, a good bang for the buck!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:39 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Starter
I'd strongly suggest calling multiple Mr. Tire dealerships to see who gives you the best price. I was quoted price differences of up to $500 plus from different stores (all part of the Mr. Tire chain) when looking for new Pilot Sports for my M3 a few months back ... and when I challenged the offending guy about his price (Cockeysville dealer) he said he'd meet the other dealership's prices ... I thanked him and went elsewhere. Just a word to the wise.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 AM
Instructor

I would second the recommendation for calling around. I was surprised by how quotations were, even within the same chain. One guy was willing to price match Tirerack exactly; the other guy wanted to tack on an extra $15. I got a very bad impression from this.

But anyway, it is raining today, so this will be my first change to to see how well my car will perform in bad weather. Kind of excited. I will say that cornering has been so much better. I feel much more confident!!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Race Director

Received 897 Likes on 544 Posts
I just had them installed on my car and so far the handleing in the snow is much more sure footed than the Michelins.

I'll have my first chance in rain tomarrow so I'll let you know

By the way my price per tire mounted was $110 + $2.50 NYS tax on tires