How far should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007 | 10:03 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

How far should I go?

I need some help/ suggestions on how far I should go with lowering my car (not in inches, in $$$$). Due to my rim/tire set up springs alone are not an option (rubbing issues) so I will need to go with coilovers. I have it narrowed down to 4 options.
1)tein basics
2)tein SS
3)tein SS with pillow mounts
4)tein ss with pillow mounts and EDFC
I don't autocross or drag (with the exception of the occasional stoplight), but I do like a firm ride.

First off, if I go with option 4, how reliable is the EDFC system? Has any one used it, how frequently to you make adjustments, how long has it been in your car and have you had any problems.

Second, am I going too far with anything more than tein basics? I have been always nbeen a firm believer in doing thing right the first time and working with quality products, but a buddy of mine had an adjustable Rancho suspension in his Jeep and it was frequently not working properly.

I am looking for suggestions from anyone who likes a good handling car as well as feedback from those who run any of these setups.

Help me out so Excelerate or Marcus@heeltoe can get some more of my money .
Old 07-29-2007 | 07:24 AM
Advanced

what are pillow mounts?
Old 07-30-2007 | 07:55 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

It replaces the OEM upper mount and should give a more direct feel of the road.
Old 07-30-2007 | 10:11 PM
Advanced

i c
thanks
Old 07-31-2007 | 01:54 AM
CL-Pride

I think the EDFC is really not that big of a deal because you can always adjust it with ur hand easily. I do not think EDFC is worth the money
Old 07-31-2007 | 03:56 AM
Unregistered user

cl's hood doesn't clear it to fit the edfc anyways.

tein basics are good enough, unless you really want to say u have SS and show off. or you actually going to adjust the dampness. get these if u're going to track the car.
Old 07-31-2007 | 06:24 AM
Racer

I love the SS because I drive long distances and I want a softer ride, but just every day driving I'm on stiff...Driving the CL cross country, from coast to coast and it will be as soft as she can be...
Old 07-31-2007 | 09:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH

That's funny because my hood clears my EDFC just fine, the motors really don't take up much room at all. Sorry for the bad pics, but I think you get the idea. They don't get in the way, they clear the hood without any problems, and personally, I change the settings a few times every time I drive the car. In PA, the roads can go from smooth to rough in no time, so it's REALLY nice to be able to adjust the dampening while driving. As far as reliability goes, I've never had any problems with them and bought them used in Nov 2005.

Old 07-31-2007 | 02:38 PM
Racer

Looks like you have the TEIN SS w/ pillowmounts, due to the gold color hats. The EDFC does work on the CL with the pillow mounts. Just not with the normal TEIN SS.
Old 07-31-2007 | 03:24 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH

tein basics are good enough, unless you really want to say u have SS and show off. or you actually going to adjust the dampness. get these if u're going to track the car.
you really need to work on your facts before posting. the tein SS doesn't clear to fit EDFC, but the tein SS-P does. that's what it's specifically made for.

dampening adjustment isn't just for the track/looks. if you want the adjustment it can complement harsher road conditions for a more comfortable ride.
Old 07-31-2007 | 04:20 PM
Lives On BOOST

I'm about to get some tein ss off a member and I had the same question when it came to the pillowball upper mount. I don't know whether u can buy them separate but he said he would give me his stock ones. But i'm still stuck on whether the pillows are worth it or just sticking w/ stock
Old 07-31-2007 | 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brianlin87
you really need to work on your facts before posting. the tein SS doesn't clear to fit EDFC, but the tein SS-P does. that's what it's specifically made for.

dampening adjustment isn't just for the track/looks. if you want the adjustment it can complement harsher road conditions for a more comfortable ride.
Agreed. Also, I would recommend getting the TEIN SS due to this ability to adjust dampening. Sometimes it's fun driving when it's set towards the stiffer side (though not as stiff as Ksports), it's feels pretty tight. But it's also nice to have the comfort of adjusting it to a softer ride when roads are crappy or you just want to roll smooth and soft. If you could care less for this dampening adjustability, you can go with the TEIN Basics, as they're set pretty much in the middle in terms of softness/stiffness. Hope that helps dude
Old 08-01-2007 | 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

If you're not looking to adjust the damping of the shock then just get the Basics. They are firmer than stock but not stiff and they offer ride height adjustment.

PM me if you need a set.