Falken Azien ST115 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falken Azien ST115 Review

Hey Fellas,

I know I've already commented in a couple threads about these tires but I wanted to post a quick review now that I've had them for about 1000 miles. They are advertized as being quiet performance tires. That they are! Totally silent. Quietest tires I've ever not heard. I had them for a few weeks before I had a chance to really push them around a corner. I was really impressed! They have awesome turn-in and very high limits. They break away very gradually without making a ton of squeal. Actually the squeal is more of a really low bark that is helpful communication rather than an embarrasing screech like the stockers. Yeasterday, I finally had a chance to test them in the rain. Great hydro resistance and grip. I had Kumho Ecxta MXs before these and I dreaded getting the front spot at a light in the rain because I knew I had to baby it like I was on ice or it would hop like crazy. These tires grip incredibly well from a stop in the rain! It was almost like having a quattro again. The Kumhos had a bit more dry grip but were not as forgiving at the limit. They also got very noisey and were scary in the rain after a few thousand miles. They did have the coolest tread pattern but very ghey sidewalls with little dolphins or something on the sides. THe ST115s have kind of a boring looking tread design but the sidewalls are nice. THey actually look much better on the car as they are noticibley shorter and narrowner than the Kumhos in the 235/45/17and don't look so balooney. I think these would actually fit well on a stock rim in this size as it's a bit smaller than usual.
I would highly recommend these tires to anyone! They were only $104 ea in 235/45/17s.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

@ the dolphins on the sidewall.

Great to hear.

I wonder if their all seaon tires are equally as impressive.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Very nice tires... why? Because I have them too on my other car (on my second set of them)!

ChadT, word of advice, be very vigilent on tire pressure on Falken Azenis, they tend to cup after 20K miles, sounding like a jet when you go 35+mph. I learned that on my second set (I was pretty anal about my tires when on my first set, I laxed off on checking them weekly on my second set, bad mistake).
Old 08-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
ChadT, word of advice, be very vigilent on tire pressure on Falken Azenis, they tend to cup after 20K miles, sounding like a jet when you go 35+mph. I learned that on my second set (I was pretty anal about my tires when on my first set, I laxed off on checking them weekly on my second set, bad mistake).
Will do When you say cup do you mean wear more on the edges?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChadT
Hey Fellas,

I know I've already commented in a couple threads about these tires but I wanted to post a quick review now that I've had them for about 1000 miles. They are advertized as being quiet performance tires. That they are! Totally silent. Quietest tires I've ever not heard. I had them for a few weeks before I had a chance to really push them around a corner. I was really impressed! They have awesome turn-in and very high limits. They break away very gradually without making a ton of squeal. Actually the squeal is more of a really low bark that is helpful communication rather than an embarrasing screech like the stockers. Yeasterday, I finally had a chance to test them in the rain. Great hydro resistance and grip. I had Kumho Ecxta MXs before these and I dreaded getting the front spot at a light in the rain because I knew I had to baby it like I was on ice or it would hop like crazy. These tires grip incredibly well from a stop in the rain! It was almost like having a quattro again. The Kumhos had a bit more dry grip but were not as forgiving at the limit. They also got very noisey and were scary in the rain after a few thousand miles. They did have the coolest tread pattern but very ghey sidewalls with little dolphins or something on the sides. THe ST115s have kind of a boring looking tread design but the sidewalls are nice. THey actually look much better on the car as they are noticibley shorter and narrowner than the Kumhos in the 235/45/17and don't look so balooney. I think these would actually fit well on a stock rim in this size as it's a bit smaller than usual.
I would highly recommend these tires to anyone! They were only $104 ea in 235/45/17s.
Hey ChadT,

I am in the market of getting some new tires and I think I am going to go with the Falken Azien ST115 235/45/17s on the stock 17s. How many miles have you put on them and how are they working out for you? Also, where did you pay $104 for them, that is a pretty good deal. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by Moodist
Hey ChadT,

I am in the market of getting some new tires and I think I am going to go with the Falken Azien ST115 235/45/17s on the stock 17s. How many miles have you put on them and how are they working out for you? Also, where did you pay $104 for them, that is a pretty good deal. Thanks in advance.
I think I've put about 2000 miles on the tires so far. I still love them. THey work really well in the rain. They probably don't have quite as much dry grip as an all out performance tier but for me the trade-off of having really quiet tires is worth it and they're still really grippy. Tires.com had them for $104 ea. I actually paid $119 ea from them but that included their "free" mounting and balancing.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Very nice tires... why? Because I have them too on my other car (on my second set of them)!

What tire pressure do you recommend maintaining? Also, are you saying that after 20k miles they get loud as a jet?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I am looking at the Azenis as well. i found a pic of a cl on ebay with 235 azenis, and they look good. so i sent discount tire direct an email asking about it and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we cannot recommend that you install any wider than the 225/45-17 tires onto your OEM wheels. We have to agree with the tire manufacturers. Mounting the 235/45-17 tires onto 7.0'' width wheels will result in the following:

Increased wear in the center portion of the tire (Crowning)

Extra sidewall stress- possibly resulting in premature sidewall cracking Increased potential for tread separation Lack of full contact patch use- results in less than ideal handling"

so i am still undecided. might just be safe and go with the 225's.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rock2534
I am looking at the Azenis as well. i found a pic of a cl on ebay with 235 azenis, and they look good. so i sent discount tire direct an email asking about it and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we cannot recommend that you install any wider than the 225/45-17 tires onto your OEM wheels. We have to agree with the tire manufacturers. Mounting the 235/45-17 tires onto 7.0'' width wheels will result in the following:

Increased wear in the center portion of the tire (Crowning)

Extra sidewall stress- possibly resulting in premature sidewall cracking Increased potential for tread separation Lack of full contact patch use- results in less than ideal handling"

so i am still undecided. might just be safe and go with the 225's.

I can't say I totally disagree with them..

Anyway, I have 8" wide rims so the 235's are perfect for that... I'm gonna order as soon as spring arrives...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

The local discount tire store told me that it's not a problem to install....so when I was there, I put 4 Falken Azenis ST-115 in 235/45-17 on my wheels. I'll be posting some pics soon for another member of this board. Oh yeah, it's on stock rims too. So far, with 3000 miles, it doesn't look like I'm having any unusual wearing or cupping or sidewall cracking. I keep 35psi in them.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsrblack
The local discount tire store told me that it's not a problem to install....so when I was there, I put 4 Falken Azenis ST-115 in 235/45-17 on my wheels. I'll be posting some pics soon for another member of this board. Oh yeah, it's on stock rims too. So far, with 3000 miles, it doesn't look like I'm having any unusual wearing or cupping or sidewall cracking. I keep 35psi in them.
Get some sways... Great bang for the buck, especially with new grippy performance tires like you have...
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
springs before sways! the look and performance >sways alone
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Cars are an addiction

I had them on my CL in the stock size. I would say that they were silent, but I did not feel that they were good in the wet. I noticed that the traction control came on more often with the 115's then with the stock tires. I never had a problem with them, but at higher speeds (65-75) in the rain, I did not feel confident with them. They never let out or anything, but they just alwyas felt loose in the rain.

I actually took them off with about 4000 miles on them and went with the newer style ZE-512's. Now these tires I loved. I would have to say that the 512's were the best all-around tire I ever had.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CLean
I had them on my CL in the stock size. I would say that they were silent, but I did not feel that they were good in the wet. I noticed that the traction control came on more often with the 115's then with the stock tires. I never had a problem with them, but at higher speeds (65-75) in the rain, I did not feel confident with them. They never let out or anything, but they just alwyas felt loose in the rain.

I actually took them off with about 4000 miles on them and went with the newer style ZE-512's. Now these tires I loved. I would have to say that the 512's were the best all-around tire I ever had.

so you like the ziex better than the azenis? from what i saw, i thought the opposite would be better? you had 235?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Here are some pics of the Azenis that I posted for another member. Not the greatest, but something for you to look at. Size is 235/45-1 on stock rims.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...23#post2306623
Old 01-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Drifting

thanks gsr, they look like they fit really good.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Cars are an addiction

No, I had the 215's, stock size..

They are both good tires. At new the Azenis tires rocked. but as they wore, so did the handling. The Azenis does not have much tread. They have a lot of rubber on the ground.... The Zeix had more tread, and I think that is what made them better in the rain.. I think I have some pics at home. I'll check tonight..
Old 01-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got the Azenis on my car, my brother the Zeix on his G35 sedan. Both seem to drive about the same, but that's not comparing apples to apples since his car is rear wheel. Both stick pretty well, but I only have 3000 miles on them. No problems...better than stock though. They handle fairly well in wet conditions too....but I could still make it slide with a little more effort than the stocks.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Where's the best online place to buy the ST-115's?