Coils vs. Springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coils vs. Springs and shocks

I am looking to start to begin modding my car I am looking at coilovers or a spring and shock combo. I like to drive aggresive on the right roads but theres no track in hawaii so should i fork up the money for the coilovers or go with a nice set of springs and shocks. thanks for the help
Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
COILOVERS... there is no debate about this thread hahaha everyone gonna come in and tell you coils
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

k-sports? Any one who runs k-sports can i get some input
Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,381 Likes on 4,930 Posts
K Sports are a waste of money IMO.

I had a set on my Civic that blew in a year and a half. I decided to roll the dice on them for the CL and they lasted 13 months, or about 37k miles. Of course their warranty only lasts a year.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

well that sucks. what suspension u running now?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Neuspeed Super Cup kit. Its not nearly as firm as the Ksports, nor can you go as low (unless you change the springs), but its more comfortable and just as confidence inspiring.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I think to get a better recommendation...what's more important to you?

* Ride quality?
* Lower stance?
* Adjustability?

I took these things into account when I chose mine.

I ended up saving up to get Tien SS-P's because...

* They gave me flexibility to adjust the ride height.
* Flexibility on the settings of the stiffness.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

From what I hear.

It seems many chose the K-Sports because they are the stiffest setup and drop the car the lowest.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by nf3d0149ab
From what I hear.

It seems many chose the K-Sports because they are the stiffest setup and drop the car the lowest.
And cheap. But sadly the cheapness does flow towards quality as well.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
And cheap. But sadly the cheapness does flow towards quality as well.
idk but i like mine.... i see some people have the orange ones..... but i have the black ones not sure if that makes a diff. or if they changed something besides the color?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Just color, everything else is the same.

My biggest problem with KSports (other then the quality) is that they are undervalved and oversprung.

If they valved the struts properly they could have gotten away with a softer spring, giving you better ride and handling (some weight transfer is good).
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
GroundeDCustoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got k sports for about 6 months now. if i could do it over id go with a spring strut combo.
honestly i hate my ksports. and i did it right also. full camber kit front and rear<slammed my car alignment dead on and all day long i get tap tap tap fromthe a arm hitting the top of the wheel well/

can anybody tell me whats up with that? iv slammed integras,civics,accord,all with spring strut combos and NEVER had tapping issues from the a arm. i think it is due to the strut travel not decreasing with the ksports as it would with a normal strut which would bottom out on the bump stop. but the ksports make the a arm hit the wheel well.

forget ksports. get strut spring ,if anything trim a coil off the springs get it low and be done.
wanting to sell ksports. pm me

Just color, everything else is the same.

My biggest problem with KSports (other then the quality) is that they are undervalved and oversprung.

If they valved the struts properly they could have gotten away with a softer spring, giving you better ride and handling (some weight transfer is good).
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by GroundedCustom
i got k sports for about 6 months now. if i could do it over id go with a spring strut combo.
honestly i hate my ksports. and i did it right also. full camber kit front and rear<slammed my car alignment dead on and all day long i get tap tap tap fromthe a arm hitting the top of the wheel well/

can anybody tell me whats up with that? iv slammed integras,civics,accord,all with spring strut combos and NEVER had tapping issues from the a arm. i think it is due to the strut travel not decreasing with the ksports as it would with a normal strut which would bottom out on the bump stop. but the ksports make the a arm hit the wheel well.

forget ksports. get strut spring ,if anything trim a coil off the springs get it low and be done.
wanting to sell ksports. pm me

It's not the coilovers, it's the camber kit you bought. I'm guess you got just the adjustable ball joint. Those actually sit higher above the arm, so when you slam the car the top of the ball joint hits on bumps. To avoid this you need the ingalls full control arm with adjustable ball joint.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 PM
GroundeDCustoM

Originally Posted by gnuts
It's not the coilovers, it's the camber kit you bought. I'm guess you got just the adjustable ball joint. Those actually sit higher above the arm, so when you slam the car the top of the ball joint hits on bumps. To avoid this you need the ingalls full control arm with adjustable ball joint.
i knw its not the coilovers makin the noise but the fact that the coilovers have unlimited travel the suspension HAS to bottom out eventually. and i do have the full ingallss front camber setup . complete a arm with the adjustble ball joint yes you are correct. It does add some clearence issues but i mean for the cash how could you hav a design issue that in my opionion defeats the purpose of coilvers. i much rathe rhave the strut spring combo and have the suspension bottom out on th ebump stop before the a arm hits.

for a grand to hear tapping all day long is ridiculous and i Never would of went coilover route if i had know. it makes the car feel like one of my old DA's or civics slammmed with camber issuses all day. made less noise..

so basically theres no way to fix this tapping issuse unless i hole out the wheel ,raise up the car or take out suspension?

any one wanna buy ksports? 6 months in maybe 2k on um. not daily driven

how i see it is that if i had
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 AM
3.5 psi

you could drill a small hole to fix it....some people have done it.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:01 PM
GroundeDCustoM

Originally Posted by gnuts
you could drill a small hole to fix it....some people have done it.

small hole???? where in the upper wheel well? so the highest point of the a arm joint can go thru? but with all th etravel of the k sport the suspension is goin to hit regardless.

im just irratated due to the fact i dropped th ecash to do it right and i get the shittest result out of all my cars i have lowered.

i hate to drill holes. any pics of people that have done it?

see of all the people who have the ksports dont they hav the same issue? unless of course thy are not fully utilizing the fact you can slam on um.

i just think it should be know if you slam you will get tap tap all day
Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 PM
3.5 psi

Richard Parker did it i believe, you'll have to search his posts. If you're going to lower your car that much, there's bound to be consequences. Just raise it up a bit.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 PM

What alignment kit are you running up front? What stiffness are you set too? And how low are you?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by comptech808
I am looking to start to begin modding my car I am looking at coilovers or a spring and shock combo. I like to drive aggresive on the right roads but theres no track in hawaii so should i fork up the money for the coilovers or go with a nice set of springs and shocks. thanks for the help
get AMR coilovers
Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
GroundeDCustoM

What alignment kit are you running up front? What stiffness are you set too? And how low are you?

i got the ingalls complete a arm with adjustable upper joint.

stiffness setting is 6 complete turns from softess. iv tried other settings and i can tell you the setting adjustments do work properly. ksport has done well with this.
I guess i cant knock ksports but being unable to slam a car fullyy and get proper alignment kinda makes no sense for a product to go that low. So in reality i guess ingalls should get to work cus their kit does nothing.i mean it aligns the tires but its non functional..

all i can say is my brother has a 2002 vw passat wagon on ksports slammed with 18"audi fat 5's and it drives dope. its the nature of the suspension. thats y i am suggesting a spring strut combo along with the bump stops will restrict this tap bullsh>t im talking about in the cl..

im so irratated with the result of the money spent thats y i continue to go on and on about the tap. ah its complete nonsense. 1200 total cost and the car drives with continuious interference with the camber kit up front. fraud i tel you.ah

and im low. for the size of the cl im low. i tuck maybe 1/2" of tire under wheel well. im running stock 17"s with 225 45 17 or 235 40 17 slipped my mind.

i am intrested in that hole drilling guy..any info on that?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Basically, wherever the a-arm is hitting the fender is where you drill a hole slightly larger then the part hitting. So when it compresses that part tucks into that hole and doesn't knock.