Bushings and rattles... need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Bushings and rattles... need suggestions

My car is making a squeak, rattle and boing noise only over uneven bumper road. No noise when driving slow. 30k miles, mostly city. I think my shocks are still good, I'm on OEM shocks and had the car lowered on neuspeed springs for 15k miles. Wondering, how hard is it to change the bushings? I mean, I know the sway bar end links my moog would be a good change, but what about the other bushings and where are they? I'd love to do it myself. Any sites of where to get them, any body do this?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you'll probably need new joints i have that same squeaking problem. when you turn ur wheel does it make a noise? If so i think it might be your ball joints. your upper ball joints are on the control arm and the lower one is right under your disc brake. When i did it i replaced the whole control arm and hammered my lower ball joint out.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
Are the noises coming from the front or rear?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by victorvu
you'll probably need new joints i have that same squeaking problem. when you turn ur wheel does it make a noise? If so i think it might be your ball joints. your upper ball joints are on the control arm and the lower one is right under your disc brake. When i did it i replaced the whole control arm and hammered my lower ball joint out.
I had my ball joints in the upper arm go on my 1st CL, but this one I don't think its the culprit. Besides the upper and lower arm bushings, are there any others that need to be replaced?

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Are the noises coming from the front or rear?
Sounds like the passenger side front is doing all the squeaking, and the passenger rear makes a slight occasional knock. Funny, before this winter, the car was dead silent.

My plan is to first change the end links on the sways, then the bushings. But first I want to get everything myself and see if it can be done in my garage. I'll make a trip to the shop to have something pressed if need be.

Any sites that can explain what I need and sell them? THinking Ima go with OEM replacements. I heard the urethane bushings make everything too stiff.

Right at the beginning of the winter, my shifter bushings felt like they were on their way out, so I changed those too. maybe the rubber bushings are all starting to show their 7 year old age, and the shifter bushing was just the first to go with the suspension ones now following?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bushing Ron, I had this same problem on my 1st gen, it turned out that the rubber bushing had disintegrated and the suspension was moving in directions it wasn't supposed to. PU Bushings are a great change but from what I understand they don't make a full kit for your cars. Installing them isn't bad if you have a shop, but you'll need to press out the old ones and press in the new ones
Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Definitely sounds like a bushing Ron, I had this same problem on my 1st gen, it turned out that the rubber bushing had disintegrated and the suspension was moving in directions it wasn't supposed to. PU Bushings are a great change but from what I understand they don't make a full kit for your cars. Installing them isn't bad if you have a shop, but you'll need to press out the old ones and press in the new ones
thanks, pressing them out and all shouldn't be a problem, I have 2 shops within the local area that would let me use their tools and equipment any time. I just need a source for the bushings. maybe get brand new OEM bushings? Damn, I'm about to buy a Helms manual.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Update: I switched back to the 18" Harrows with 255/35/18 Pirelli rubber (really soft and squishy) and man, the car rides so different, like she used to.

I guess the Nitto NeoGen tires were a bit too hard and it really threw off the ride quality. I mean, I rode on 225/35/20 before, but they were Toyo Proxes 4, and they didn't feel liek the Nittos.

Might still get some Koni Yellows and drop the car a bit more on the lower perch, and keep the springs. Think I'll put on some sway bars too and refresh the bushings and endlinks while i'm at it.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great you fixed it guess tires do make a huge difference.... let us know how the end links and sway bars go but the koni yellows is a great way to drop your car a little more. I think they have life time warranty on the struts.