Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:15 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Starting issues

Hey guys, looking for some advice on what direction to go.
last week the car wouldn't start. It was clicking but wouldn't turn over. Jumped it and it's ran fine for the past few days. Today same thing. Clicking but won't turn over. I cleaned up the battery terminals but still no go. The battery is only 6 years old.
It seems to be more of a starter issue. Would it make sense to change the starter solenoid first? Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
Andrew
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
6 YEARS OLD?! I'm pretty sure it's due for a replacement sir! Especially because you jumped it and it worked, sounds very indicative of a failing battery. I'd replace that first.
The following users liked this post:
gnuts (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by gnuts
Would it make sense to change the starter solenoid first? Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
Andrew
As you know, the battery would be the easiest fix to try without pulling the blower. With that said, I usually get 36 months out of a Die Hard 51R down here in the south end of this peninsular frying pan, lol.

https://www.diehard.com/products/die...-with-exchange
Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 PM
3.5 psi

Zeta, have you pulled the battery without removing the blower?
i usually get 8+ years from my batteries. Damn.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by gnuts
Zeta, have you pulled the battery without removing the blower?
i usually get 8+ years from my batteries. Damn.
Yes.

Years ago I would remove the throttle body and Icebox and then it is possible to get it out; however, it is a very tight fit.

The problem I would run into is that it was tough to maneuver the heavy battery around to the perfect angle and slip it out because it used to bang up against the reinforcing 'rib' of metal at the 'right angle' of the rear part of the tray, if that makes any sense. As a result, I took the battery tray out and grinded away a good potion of that reinforcing 'rib' to facilitate a loser/smoother angle that the battery would need to be at to get it out easier. Spray painted the exposed metal edges to prevent rust, done.

I still need to remove the throttle body/Icebox; however, now the process is alot easier, especially if you are stuck on the side of the road, to achieve and alot easier on the back. If you give it a go, you will see what I mean, lol; but, you will get the battery out without having to pull the S/C'er.

See below:

Originally Posted by Smitty
I can walk you through swapping out the 51R WITHOUT removing the supercharger.

My first Interstate 60 month 51R battery lasted 14 months.... they replaced it free of charge but I removed the battery and replaced it with a new 75 month Interstate 51R.

You need to remove the ICEBOX and plumbing to the throttle body....

then remove the throttle body... take the terminals off the battery.

Take off the 2 bolts that hold the battery tray in place and carefully move the battery box and battery towards the firewall... tilt the battery towards the drivers side and slide it right out.

replace the battery.

Be SUPER careful when putting the terminals BACK on the new battery, IF you touch the blower unit with the wrench or ratchet while placing the terminals on you will throw sparks and short out the new battery.

if you get stuck my AIM is Acurazine Smitty or you can PM me for my phone number.

Last edited by zeta; 05-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gnuts (05-09-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:29 AM
3.5 psi

thanks guys, my wife grabbed a new battery last night from Costco! Hopefully tonight I have time to swap it. I might have to jump it and pull it into the driveway so I have some light.

I was working on my winter beater (1999 Sentra) yesterday replacing the rear drum brakes. It was my first brake job of any kind and it went well but upon a quick test drive the noise I heard in the winter was worse. Turns out it's coming from the front passenger side. I looked under to see a torn CV boot. But I'm praying that maybe it's just the dust cover bent on the rotor. It's a pretty loud grinding noise.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 PM
3.5 psi

Thanks for the info zeta! I got the battery replaced in about 40 min before the sun went down. Really easy, just a lot of stuff to move out of the way. Fired right up! I don't know why I had it in my mind it wasn't the battery. Love this site.
The following 2 users liked this post by gnuts:
thoiboi (05-11-2017), zeta (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Next time it happens, turn lights on and try the starter. Chances are that the lights stay bright and time for a starter.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:08 AM
3.5 psi

I found my volt meter the other day to test the battery, but then I had no 9v battery for the actual volt meter. Oh well. She's purring (and whining) again!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
These cars run so dependably that one forgets how to do normal routine shit!