Spoiler and brake and stuff...knowledgable CL people check this out pleasee

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler and brake and stuff...knowledgable CL people check this out pleasee

About a month ago, i bought a spoiler from SpoilerDepot and got it installed by a friend of my friends. The spoiler looked like its installed well and everything, and it was fine giving me no problems. Then today i was walking out of a store and went to my car, turned it on, and i cant shift out of park. I called acura and they told me to open the little compartment by the shift knob and then stick my key in there, then shfit to neutral, then turn on the car. I was then able to put it into D5.

I took the car to acura, and they asked if my spoiler was on my car when i bought it from them, and i told them no. Then later the service guy comes and says that he's getting shortage readings or something, and that the 20W fuse burned out, and it has to do with the spoiler wiring. Supposedly, theres a bare part of the spoiler wire (for the brake light) and its causing the fuse to burn out. The guy that installed the spoiler for me wired the spoiler brakelight into the wire area by the left taillights (through the trunk). Acura want's to charge me 99.50 for an hours worth of labor to check it out/fix the problem. I told them i'd come back later, but i'm going to have the guy that installed my spoiler check it out and see if he can fix it.

Do you guys have any suggestions/reccomendations/anything explaining to me how this wire/fuse problem is causing my car to not let me normally shift out of park? Also...right now my brakelights and horn do not work (because of the 20W fuse i'm assuming/hoping).

My car is a 2003 CL Type-S, automatic.

edit: oh and also, they were saying that if i had gotten an acura installed spoiler then they connect the spoiler wire to the brakelight of the car and disconected the cars brakelight (b/c teh spoiler has its own), and that the guy who installed my spoiler connected it into my taillights. the service guy said that it can get really hot in ther and cause a fire and it wouldnt be covered under warranty and it could void my warranty and all this stuff. is he just doing this to scare me? please tell me yes, lol. but yeah...i wanna learn more about my car...so if anyone can help, its much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Your friend of a friend screwed up your car. Take the spolier wire out of whatever it's spliced into.(it's the wrong place) Tape up the wires with elec tape. Replace the fuse & see what happens.
Next run the spolier wire to the cars 3rd brake light & splice it to those wires. Then remove the brake light bulb. Really easy. I've installed many spolier depot ones like this. This idiot did not wire it correctly.

Now for the getting out of park problem. If you blew the brake fuse, the car may not want to shift out of park thinking the brake is not pressed. That makes sense, but it may not be the problem with that.
1st thing is to disconnect that spolier brake light wire, & replace the fuse. If it happens then you can say it's not anything to do with the spolier cause it's not hooked up.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alright, i got the problem fixed, it <i>did</i> have to do with the spoilers wiring, but it still wasnt THAT big of a problem...cost less than $5 bucks to fix...nowhere near the $99.50 acura wanted.

hopefully, my warranty is still intact and acura doesnt give me crap later on