Side Airbag light keeps going on & off ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Airbag light keeps going on & off ...

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Nothing in the seat. Happens mainly in the mornings. Its annoying because I drink around 4-5am, so its still dark and I have to see this orange light flashing...

Goes on and off every few seconds as if I got the child or something lightweight in the seat.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

Originally Posted by RaptorCLS
Its annoying because I drink around 4-5am, so its still dark and I have to see this orange light flashing...
Ohhh...kay....and just how much have we been drinking?
(I hope that was a typo of some sort).

There are a few things that could set it off. Something sitting on the seat (briefcase, backpack, etc). Something electronic like a laptop or cellphone.

If that's not it, check the code. There have been a number of reports of a bad seat belt buckle sensor. The SRS system is a safety related issue and carries a longer warranty than the standard 4yr/50k.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Originally Posted by CL'er 1st & 2nd Gen's
Ohhh...kay....and just how much have we been drinking?
(I hope that was a typo of some sort).

There are a few things that could set it off. Something sitting on the seat (briefcase, backpack, etc). Something electronic like a laptop or cellphone.

If that's not it, check the code. There have been a number of reports of a bad seat belt buckle sensor. The SRS system is a safety related issue and carries a longer warranty than the standard 4yr/50k.

HAHAHAHAHAHA....OOPS! yeah, typo...

nothing is in the seat at all
Old 04-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

That's good to hear. I wait unitil 8 am before I start my drinking!

But seriously, I'd get the code checked out. Hopefully a bad sensor will still be covered.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

mine started to do that as well... i have no clue what it is and it's very random so when i take it to the dealer the damn thing might just turn off
Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
read the sticky at the top of this forum... It'll be covered, and you'll be getting a letter in the mail from acura stateing so...
Old 04-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im not really sure but i know that the side airbags actually senses how tall the person is i guess to NOT knock u out if it deploys and maybe when its sensin, it flashes... i mean, i KNOW for a fact that the side airbags sense how tall u are, that i kno for sure, but i dont know for sure if it actually indicates the sensing process by illuminating the side airbag sign or not.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:46 PM
10th Gear

i have the same problem with mine. ( 01 cl-s)
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by black_type-s
im not really sure but i know that the side airbags actually senses how tall the person is i guess to NOT knock u out if it deploys and maybe when its sensin, it flashes... i mean, i KNOW for a fact that the side airbags sense how tall u are, that i kno for sure, but i dont know for sure if it actually indicates the sensing process by illuminating the side airbag sign or not.
We all have owner's manuals, correct? We all should peruse them before making posts to help other members so as to not make mistakes like this one.

The Side Airbag Off indicator is there to inform you what OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System) is doing. My TL also sometimes has this light come on with no one in the seat. But it is irregular, and it would need to be on constantly to get a diagnosis. OPDS is [b][i]ONLY[b][i] for the passenger seat. If you weigh 70lbs and are driving with your feet upside down in the driver's seat, OPDS isn't sensing anything - there are no sensors.

The extended warranty campaign letter that I received last week specifically states that in order to get service, you must have the red "SRS" light on with certain DTCs. So if you've just got an irregular "Side Airbag Off" light don't look to get anywhere.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:42 AM
metalguitarist.org

Also happening here, 01 CLS, and oddly enough it only blinks when the car is moving. If I stop at a red light, it stays off until I move again.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 AM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

started on mine too 01 white cls lol it blinks irregularly then just goes off...also one of my damn lights in my spedometer keeps going on and off by itself. the light that lights up from like 110mph till 160mph... it does it when i first turn on the car then after a while it lights up and is good. they both started at the same time but i dont think they are related...anyone have any ideas for the spedo lights??? bad connection??
Old 06-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my "Side Airbag Off" light just started blinking yesterday out of nowhere...then it turned off for no apparent reason. Arrgh, i just got this car less then 2 months ago too. I understand its an occupant sensor system thing...but is it 'normal' for it to just start blinking (it was a very slow blink..it would stay on for like 5 seconds..then turn off...on...off).

So in other words...is this something I should be worrying about?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:33 AM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does this krap too. I don't think it's a big problem. Just annoying sometyms.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

well i got mine back after bringing it to the dealer....the light does not go on anymore but...they fucked up my seat! The leather on the seat is not attached to the seat that well so it looks like its cheap leather just thrown ontop of the back part of the seat. Its kind of like when leather bubbles up from heat but a lot more...I went back to Acura and they said "well we can fix it but since a sensor was replaced it wount look like it did originally" Im like wtf are you serious, Im about to ask for a new seat because this is crap. Its like them changing my oil and scratching up my car and telling me well we can put touch up paint on the scratch but it will not match the factory color that well...??? Should I call up Acura Client Services or what?