Good old electrical issue!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good old electrical issue!

Hey everybody, got a fun one for you today.

Year/Make/Model/Mileage: 2003 Acura CL Type-S, 249,000 miles.

So, I'll preface this by saying I have no experience with tracking down exposed wires. I wouldn't really know where to begin, and when I've brought it up with a mechanic shop, they are consistent they'll have to hold the vehicle for multiple days, which really isn't an option with my work schedule.

I live in Jacksonville, FL, so rain is fairly consistent. And whenever there is so much as a light layer of water on the ground, one of my fuses blows. It's the #6 fuse on the driver's side interior fuse box, which controls ECU (PCM), Cruise Control, VSA. Once this fuse blows, the car has a serious lack of power. I have to hold down the gas pedal for about 3 seconds to get the tire off of the line. On top of that, my RPMs range from 500-1000 higher than normal. The battery will also begin to drain and die, so if you drive far enough with this issue, your battery will be drained. The electronics begin working poorly, as it seems it is simply working off of the battery at the time. But before anyone says alternator... Yes, the alternator has been replaced by a reputable shop and the installation was done correctly, and the alternator is top of the line. The car's dashboard goes insane - P, R, N, and D5 are all on at the same time. D5 will blink, P, R, & N will all be on. Once you stop the car, and put it in park, it will lock into reverse, but it will not drive forward until you replace that fuse and erase the codes it throws. The VSA light comes on, as does the Check Engine light. I have a relatively shitty code reader, but it has given me these codes:

P1298 - Electric Load Detector Circuit High Voltage
P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2
P1768 - A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Circuit

I am beginning to put a lot of work into this Acura and have made a decent amount of strides. However, I do need help figuring out this issue because this is something I have no experience in whatsoever. Any (extremely detailed because I am pretty dense) advice would be a great help. Thank you!

Old 10-31-2019, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

And one more piece of advice - Where the hell can I purchase the Electric Load Detector Unit for this car? Does it have one? Because I'm looking at all of your name brand Auto Parts stores, even RockAuto online, and it appears there simply is not a Electric Load Detector, even though obviously there is a code for this damn thing.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcdo26
Where the hell can I purchase the Electric Load Detector Unit for this car? Does it have one? Because I'm looking at all of your name brand Auto Parts stores, even RockAuto online, and it appears there simply is not a Electric Load Detector, even though obviously there is a code for this damn thing.
From what I've read, with a quick search on P1298, the Electrical Load Detector for your automatic '03 CLS is integrated into #14; Relay Box Assembly, shown on the link below. It's located under the hood on the passenger side near the fire wall at the top. You'll see it. It's the only fuse box with a written fuse diagram on its top.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2003...it-engine-room

Do a search on P1298 and you will find threads here giving some information.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zeta
From what I've read, with a quick search on P1298, the Electrical Load Detector for your automatic '03 CLS is integrated into #14; Relay Box Assembly, shown on the link below. It's located under the hood on the passenger side near the fire wall at the top. You'll see it. It's the only fuse box with a written fuse diagram on its top.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2003...it-engine-room

Do a search on P1298 and you will find threads here giving some information.
I saw it last night after I checked your post, however I cannot find one to be purchased. I'm almost wondering if I'm going to have to purchase a Relay Box Assembly just to get that part. I've had my friends that work for Pep Boys & Advanced Auto Parts look for it, and some searching online on other websites for the ELD, but I simply cannot find one to purchase. I was told yesterday it seems like there may be a short/exposed wire in the wiring harness behind the intake manifold. I'll keep this post updated. If anybody else has any other suggestions, I'd definitely love them.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I saw it last night after I checked your post, however I cannot find one to be purchased. I'm almost wondering if I'm going to have to purchase a Relay Box Assembly just to get that part.
IF the ELD is faulty and is determined to be part of your issue in whole or part:

1) You can purchase one new (Relay Box Assembly) on the link in my above post.

2) Or you may be able to find a cheap salvage yard Relay Box Assembly unit, locally, by searching car-part.com for your '03 CLS.

3) Or watch the videos below. The guy disassembles a rely box assembly for a civic that has a faulty ELD and replaces it with an 38255-S5A-003 ELD. However, you would need to do the same to compare the replacement with the faulty one in your car.

I've had my friends that work for Pep Boys & Advanced Auto Parts look for it, and some searching online on other websites for the ELD, but I simply cannot find one to purchase. I was told yesterday it seems like there may be a short/exposed wire in the wiring harness behind the intake manifold. I'll keep this post updated. If anybody else has any other suggestions, I'd definitely love them.
Yes, please keep us updated on what it is you eventually end up doing.