Cruise Control Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Cruise Control Fix

After plenty of trouble-free use I noticed that when my cruise control was engaged, and going over railroad tracks or heavy bumps that my cruise control would kick off kind of like when you hit the brakes. About a month later minor bumps in the road would disengage the cruise and then one day it would not work at all. I noticed if I slid my toes under the brake pedal and pryed up I could get the cruise to engage until hitting yet another slight bump.

Searches here resulted in many threads from checking the fuse, to button replacement on the steering wheel, broken plastic pieces on the throttle body linkage where the cruise control cable attach were quite common. Also checking the cruise control box that is on the passenger side of engine compartment/wire connectors were going to it. Some recommended replacing the stoplight switch.

My fix ended up being quite simple. I checked all of the above mentioned aside from the steering wheel buttons and it ended up being the nut that holds my stoplight switch in place loosened. This caused my stoplight switch to be too sensitive -meaning the plunger that engages the metal bracket was a tad too far away so any slight movement of the pedal would cause my brake lights to come on and cruise to disengage. In the pic the right side would be toward your firewall. Rotate the switch 2-3 threads so it is closer to the metal bracket and tighten the nut. This will make the travel of your brake pedal slightly longer (1/4 inch) before your stoplight switch and cruise control will disengage. Problem solved!

Last edited by KR3J//; 11-20-2014 at 01:41 AM.