The cost to ship a used transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Master of Mountain roads

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The cost to ship a used transmission

I thought this information might be useful for a number of you. I bought a used transmission from a fellow via E-Bay. The transmission is a 5-speed automatic for my '01 CL-S. The transmission was located in northern Illinois. I had to have it shipped to northern West Virginia - about 100 miles due south of Pittsburgh, a distance of just under 600 miles. I used UPS Freight Services for the shipping; their price was the next to the lowest the on-line shipping services offered and it was very convenient. It was done by phone. After making arrangements with the garage where the transmission was located I gave the address to the shipper. The transmission was drained and strapped to a pallet. Total weight of the package was 280 pounds, its dimensions were roughly 4'x4'x2'. The pallet was shipped to the closest UPS terminal (35 miles from here) where I will pick it up with my pick up. The total cost for shipping was $214.29. The pallet was shipped last wednesday, It was scheduled to arrive today (monday) it actually arrived early saturday morning. I will pick it up today, 5 days (including the weekend) from date of pickup to ready for pick up at this end.

I hope this information is useful to someone.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Thats not bad, I guess.

I bought a new transmission out of Pittsburgh and had it shipped to Winchester, VA. Shipping was $150, and they grossly overestimated the weight of the tranny.

It was listed as 220lbs, but it is a manual transmission and weighs ~100lbs, so it should have been less.

It was shipped on a pallet via Estes. It was only 1/3rd the distance yours traveled though.