Check engine light flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:55 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check engine light flash

I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion to what I should do about this, if anything. This morning I was driving to school and decided to have some fun. Dropped the clutch in first, little wheel hop into burnout but nothing too crazy, just around 3500 rpm. The rpms revved up fine, didn't notice any difference in performance than usual. However, the check engine light started flashing for about 15-20 seconds, then turned off. Like I said, no performance issues, sounds fine. But I'm not a mechanic and not too sure what to do. I read this could be a serious problem with misfires and could be costly to fix. Maybe 10 minutes later I raced the engine up in first without dropping the clutch so no wheel spin and no engine light after that at all. Still ran fine. Suggestions?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Check your spark plugs
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine has done that a few times too. Once it came back with stored codes of multiple individual numbered cylinder misfires. The other times it has done it, it goes off and just shows a generic multi-cylinder misfire.

I don't worry too much about it because I can't say for certain the spark plug condition, or the coil condition, and I am going to replace them all very soon. If you are really worried replace all plugs and coils with new reputable ones. If not then don't worry, just make sure you buy good gas.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:20 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bkrupp
Mine has done that a few times too. Once it came back with stored codes of multiple individual numbered cylinder misfires. The other times it has done it, it goes off and just shows a generic multi-cylinder misfire.

I don't worry too much about it because I can't say for certain the spark plug condition, or the coil condition, and I am going to replace them all very soon. If you are really worried replace all plugs and coils with new reputable ones. If not then don't worry, just make sure you buy good gas.
I've owned this car for 2 monthhs now. What I've noticed is that it ONLY comes on and blinks if I do a burnout. If I'm moving a bit and race it with the clutch in, there's no engine light. I don't do that often because it's just stupid; I was doing it to try and see if the light would come on. If I race it in first with no wheelspin, there's no engine light. I don't do burnouts all the time either, but the issue has got my trying different things out to reproduce the problem. The light, like I said, will flash 15-20 seconds and turn off without any noticeable performance decrease. Just now I stopped by autozone to maybe pull some codes. It's done it at least 10 times, so hopefully something is stored, right? Nope. Nothing is stored on the computer and the reader finds nothing. I have no clue what it could be.

Would the spark plugs cause an engine light to flash only when burning out? Because, like I said, I can Rev it to redline without any engine light on if I have the clutch in or if I'm not spinning the tires.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by AnubisJackal
I've owned this car for 2 monthhs now. What I've noticed is that it ONLY comes on and blinks if I do a burnout. If I'm moving a bit and race it with the clutch in, there's no engine light. I don't do that often because it's just stupid; I was doing it to try and see if the light would come on. If I race it in first with no wheelspin, there's no engine light. I don't do burnouts all the time either, but the issue has got my trying different things out to reproduce the problem. The light, like I said, will flash 15-20 seconds and turn off without any noticeable performance decrease. Just now I stopped by autozone to maybe pull some codes. It's done it at least 10 times, so hopefully something is stored, right? Nope. Nothing is stored on the computer and the reader finds nothing. I have no clue what it could be.

Would the spark plugs cause an engine light to flash only when burning out? Because, like I said, I can Rev it to redline without any engine light on if I have the clutch in or if I'm not spinning the tires.
that's not the engine light, that's the traction control light. it's telling you, you are momentarily losing traction
Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
that's not the engine light, that's the traction control light. it's telling you, you are momentarily losing traction
Please, correct me if I'm wrong; I don't want to come off as arogant because I'm actually a n00b with this car. But the light looks like an engine and it's a cl6. I don't think it's traction. Also because it doesn't do it all the time. Only sometimes.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
thank you! I was thinking about 3rd gen TL's.
my mistake.