CEL + VSA light. p0740 code

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL + VSA light. p0740 code

I had my auto tranny rebuilt, and after a few months the VSA light and the check engine light lit up during normal driving. It has fresh tranny fluid and drives normally with no problems.

I've read that one of the fixes is to replace the Lock-Up Control Solenoid Assembly. Any opinions on this and where can I find the instructions to replace it?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am having the same issue as well... My tranny shifts fine and my CEL and VSA lights came on over 2 years ago and my tranny is doing ok. I change my ATF regularly (15,000mi) I doubt it is a mechanical issue but more electrical (lock up solenoud) Any additional help from any one would be great!

Afterall the Torque converter will not lock in if the solenoid doesn't tell it to.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CEL + VSA Light. P0740 Code

I am having the exact same issue. This started on the 14th of August. The code that I have is probably the lock-up solenoid. Next week I will be looking as to what is causing the problem. How are you guys doing with your problems? Is this like the blue screen of death for windows?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not necessarily I've been driving mine like this for almost 3 yrs now with no issues.... But in most cases yes blue screen of DEATH, lol.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

Rebuilt 01

Just had mine rebuilt at 116k now at 136 and that damn code and light are up. There's no issue with the mechanical side it shifts fine but the lights are driving me nuts. I just replaced the Solenoid and it turned off for a week then came back on. Is this thing gonna break on me eventually or should I just ride it out?My wife wants to drive across the country in it but this tranny issue doesn't site well with me.

I'm already looking at buying an Odyssey or TL one but not even sure whats needed or what to tell my transmission guy, would I lose auto/manuel?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Trans is done. I had same code.used my ohm meter checked resistance on all switches and solenoids.all ok.torque converter toast. Swap in a 06 tl trans like i did.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going through this drama right now. I had my tranny rebuilt by Aamco (lifetime warranty vs 1-year warranty from Acura on a NEW tranny) in February 2011. Last week while cruising on the expressway at 70 MPH, the check engine light and warrning light lit up. I pulled off, retightened the gas cap, as I had just filled up, and the warning light went away, although the check engine light stayed on.

I have also noticed that the car had a rough idle and tended to jerk forward off of stop lights, etc. through the lower gears.

Had my appointment at Acura this morning and they pulled the P0740 code which told them it was a transmission problem and that I needed to replace it. I told them I had already had Aamco rebuild it last year, so they suggested I visit Aamco. They cleared the code and the check engine light was off.

During the 5 mile drive between the Acura dealership and the Aamco shop, the car stalled at low idle. Aamco then told me it was probably a MAF or Throttle Body issue. We called Acura who told us that there are 185 different sensors that could throw a code and that the P07420 code indicated the PCM within the transmission.

Neither Acura or Aamco are thinking it's their issue. My only option is to wait for the check engine light to come back on and have Aamco run their test. Obviously, they don't want it to be a tranny issue as it's under warrantly. They would rather have it be an air intake or throttle body issue for which they can charge repairs.

At this point, with 187K miles on it, I getting spooked about keeping it as a 3rd car for my teenage daughter. Maybe trade in time...

Any advice?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MSG C5
I'm going through this drama right now. I had my tranny rebuilt by Aamco (lifetime warranty vs 1-year warranty from Acura on a NEW tranny) in February 2011. Last week while cruising on the expressway at 70 MPH, the check engine light and warrning light lit up. I pulled off, retightened the gas cap, as I had just filled up, and the warning light went away, although the check engine light stayed on.

I have also noticed that the car had a rough idle and tended to jerk forward off of stop lights, etc. through the lower gears.

Had my appointment at Acura this morning and they pulled the P0740 code which told them it was a transmission problem and that I needed to replace it. I told them I had already had Aamco rebuild it last year, so they suggested I visit Aamco. They cleared the code and the check engine light was off.

During the 5 mile drive between the Acura dealership and the Aamco shop, the car stalled at low idle. Aamco then told me it was probably a MAF or Throttle Body issue. We called Acura who told us that there are 185 different sensors that could throw a code and that the P07420 code indicated the PCM within the transmission.

Neither Acura or Aamco are thinking it's their issue. My only option is to wait for the check engine light to come back on and have Aamco run their test. Obviously, they don't want it to be a tranny issue as it's under warrantly. They would rather have it be an air intake or throttle body issue for which they can charge repairs.

At this point, with 187K miles on it, I getting spooked about keeping it as a 3rd car for my teenage daughter. Maybe trade in time...

Any advice?
Sorry, I posted this on the wrong forum. I have a TLS, not a CL.