car won't f#@king start!! daily driver...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009 | 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry, I was hoping that with the 3.2L engine and similar symptoms it might be a similar issue.
Old 06-17-2009 | 07:45 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Is it still working... the weather has gotten even hotter now...

I really had more problems since it has gotten hotter here in Houston esp on sundays because my car just sits out while we drive my wife's Suburban...

...I will be checking on this part's price tomorrow...
Almost a YEAR later... NO problems at all! Its such an easy DIY that I think the 20 bucks for the stuff to do it is great, plus I have used the good solder iron I bought a couple times since then... paid for its self few times over!

PS... its really hot here too.. abt 101 with the heat index!
Old 06-18-2009 | 11:31 AM

Almost a YEAR later... NO problems at all! Its such an easy DIY that I think the 20 bucks for the stuff to do it is great, plus I have used the good solder iron I bought a couple times since then... paid for its self few times over!

PS... its really hot here too.. abt 101 with the heat index!
Rick,

Thanks for the PM. I'll look at this thing ASAP and let y'all know what happens
Old 06-19-2009 | 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Rick,

Thanks for the PM. I'll look at this thing ASAP and let y'all know what happens
So glad I could help, just let me know... I would say come over and borrow my equipment, but that wouldnt be cost effective... LOL
Old 06-19-2009 | 11:34 AM

So glad I could help, just let me know... I would say come over and borrow my equipment, but that wouldnt be cost effective... LOL
Haha, yeah I should have everything I need. I took a look at it last night but didn't have time to do the fix, so I'll probably do it tomorrow. Looks like taking the whole metal bracket off will be the easiest way to get it out since the actual relay is mounted to it pretty tight.

It's supposed to be 93 today, but I'm parked in the shade so I might be okay. If not I'm bringing a can of compressed air with me when I leave to chill that thing down
Old 06-29-2009 | 03:20 PM

Haha, yeah I should have everything I need. I took a look at it last night but didn't have time to do the fix, so I'll probably do it tomorrow. Looks like taking the whole metal bracket off will be the easiest way to get it out since the actual relay is mounted to it pretty tight.

It's supposed to be 93 today, but I'm parked in the shade so I might be okay. If not I'm bringing a can of compressed air with me when I leave to chill that thing down
Did a little soldering last night Of course temps will be cooler this week, so I won't know if the fix worked until after a couple days of testing, but we'll see.

I waited because my sister's car was broke down, and I didn't want to not have a backup car if I accidentally messed mine up.

But anyways, the past 3 times it has done this I just used a can of compressed air and blew it directly onto the relay for a few seconds to cool it down. Not only does the car start right away, but it confirms that the relay is the problem.

Thanks again Rick for the help, I'll update if I have any more problems.
Old 08-18-2009 | 07:52 PM
Drifting

this was an incredibly helpful thread and wanted to bump it since this exact problem happened to me today. Relieved it probably isnt anything more..
Old 08-19-2009 | 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by evilstorm
this was an incredibly helpful thread and wanted to bump it since this exact problem happened to me today. Relieved it probably isnt anything more..
Have you fixed it yet? Let us know if you need any help.

And I guess I forgot to update this...haven't had any problems since!

All I did on the soldering was heat all the joints once and let them cool off again. I couldn't see any cracks in mine like Rick could, but at least one of them was still messed up so don't rely on just visually looking at it.
Old 08-19-2009 | 11:25 AM

All I did on the soldering was heat all the joints once and let them cool off again. I couldn't see any cracks in mine like Rick could, but at least one of them was still messed up so don't rely on just visually looking at it.
This is why I always advise removing all of the solder and then putting fresh solder down... the friggin thing is in such a bad spot, that if you don't have to fool with it for another 5 years or so, then take the extra few minutes.

BTW... thanks for the update! Mine has been fine here during da HAWT Texas summer too...
Old 08-19-2009 | 11:51 AM
Drifting

I will probably need help

I will find the main relay under the steering wheel somewhere, right? Then just take it out, desolder, solder and put back in?
Old 08-19-2009 | 03:09 PM

Yeah, that's true Rick...if it does it again you can be sure I'll do a complete re-soldering.

Originally Posted by evilstorm
I will probably need help

I will find the main relay under the steering wheel somewhere, right? Then just take it out, desolder, solder and put back in?
Yep, just look for the relay with the numbers on it as mentioned before, near the brake pedal. Take the whole bracket off...you'll never get the relay off of the bracket laying under there...I believe a 10mm socket will get it. Take it apart and you'll see what to solder.
Old 08-19-2009 | 03:30 PM
Drifting

Yeah, that's true Rick...if it does it again you can be sure I'll do a complete re-soldering.

Yep, just look for the relay with the numbers on it as mentioned before, near the brake pedal. Take the whole bracket off...you'll never get the relay off of the bracket laying under there...I believe a 10mm socket will get it. Take it apart and you'll see what to solder.
Awesome! Thank you sir!

Probably won't get to it until this weekend, but i will post my progress when im done!
Old 08-24-2009 | 10:01 PM
9th Gear

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!! I have an '01 CL-S and your description matches mine completely!! I spent 103 including tax with the whole diagnostic thing and they couldn't find the problem. Googling it wasn't helpful either. Thank you and everyone who have contribute to this column. You guys made my day after reading all your posts.
Old 08-25-2009 | 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by kamk2004
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!! I have an '01 CL-S and your description matches mine completely!! I spent 103 including tax with the whole diagnostic thing and they couldn't find the problem. Googling it wasn't helpful either. Thank you and everyone who have contribute to this column. You guys made my day after reading all your posts.
I hate you had to spend your cash on the testing! The internet is good and bad for searches... just too much information...it lacks focus!

Thanks so very much! I am so glad that you are getting the benefit from this site... this is the whole reason I am here... the peeps here have helped me so much, its about time I could give back!
Old 08-25-2009 | 09:56 AM

ur so $ hommie! and ur so rite... its a jungle under there... my head was swimming from being upside down so long!!!
Old 08-25-2009 | 04:00 PM

ur so $ hommie! and ur so rite... its a jungle under there... my head was swimming from being upside down so long!!!
Yeah, that was probably the most uncomfortable position to ever work in
Old 09-18-2009 | 10:54 AM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Just wanted to show my appreciation for Acurazine and all it's grandness. Car hasn't been starting recently, and a quick search pops up over a dozen threads with several similar symptoms. I take out the main relay from under the dash, crack it open, resolder all points, replace, and the car starts up. Thanks. I've been on multiple auto forums, and none come close to the knowledgeable and competence of the people here.
Old 09-19-2009 | 06:27 PM

Yeah, that was probably the most uncomfortable position to ever work in
LOL!

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
Just wanted to show my appreciation for Acurazine and all it's grandness. Car hasn't been starting recently, and a quick search pops up over a dozen threads with several similar symptoms. I take out the main relay from under the dash, crack it open, resolder all points, replace, and the car starts up. Thanks. I've been on multiple auto forums, and none come close to the knowledgeable and competence of the people here.
I think I speak for everyone when I say that you are an active part of exactly what you are complimenting!
Old 08-25-2013 | 12:43 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

I figured I'd do some resurrection...

I replaced the main relay, and now my keys aren't programmed to the car any more. The immobilizer light isn't flashing any more. Any one else experience this?
Old 09-03-2013 | 03:57 PM
Intermediate

I had this problem since this summer. I just ordered a aftermarket main relay (RZ-0159) for $30 on ebay. Hopefully this will fix it. Thanks to all for this thread.