Camber issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber issue

Having an issue with my cambers, noticing a clanking noise coming from both passenger and driver side tires when driving over bumps. Tech said noise coming from cambers. These cambers are Eibach and are only two years old, car was lowered with Eibach springs and BilStein shocks.
Car is a 2001 Acura CL type S
Any suggestions on why the noise started?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
do you have adjustable camber arms (Ingalls or SPC)? If not, you should consider them.

If you do have adjustable camber arms, I had a similar problem when aligned perfectly at 0, where the inner part of the camber arms would scrape on frame and it was advised to run at -1 camber and that improved clearance and I no longer scrape on the camber arms.

Besides that, no clue why you would suddenly have a problem, especially on springs. When I ran springs before coils, never an issue but going slightly lower on coils caused the above problem, so if I were to guess, it may not be related. not much help I know, but good luck
The following users liked this post:
Smithy15 (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for your help
There not adjustable for the average person to play with.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
curious, have you had an alignment since adding all of this? I ask because it is usually tough to get a lowered car aligned right without adjustable arms. if not, go ahead and consider buying adjustable camber arms and after install, get an alignment. ideally install the arms at a shop that can also do the alignment so if anything is off, you can adjust there and save trips. a few sponsored vendors have what you need:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/

as for the arms, generally how low you are will dictate whether you need them at all, if you can get away with only a set for the rears or if you need a set for all 4. My experience was first on the Eibach Pro Kit, I only needed rear camber arms, however when going lower on coilovers, I noticed the need for them in the front as well.

also, you may want to have your struts looked at, make sure they aren't leaking, have proper psi pressure or determine if in need of a recharge or replacement. most shops don't have the tester to gauge psi, but I did find motorcycle shops tend to have them.

also at the top of the shock tower and spring is typically a rubber isolator, looks like a small black rubber donut or round sleeve, which sometimes get worn or ripped and can cause noises, though the sound will come from the top of the tower, not near the bottom. Those are cheap to buy (ask your manufacturer first, 3rd parties may not fit) but you still have to install, which is costly.

last thing I got, check your end links as well. Cheap fix, $20 a side, consider Moog,
Old 12-18-2012, 03:03 PM
4th Gear

I had an alignment done when the cambers were put in, there are front and rear new cambers installed. They are adjustable for a service tech, but I can't do it myself.
The car is still hugging the road turning corners don't feel any sag there. The only issue is the noise driving over bumps which is new.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Check your endlinks, sway bar links and bushings. I had a broken sway bar bushing on the front and it was clunking every time I went over a bump. Just go under the car and start pulling and looking for something loose.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM
4th Gear

I will do that thanks