2001 CL Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL Transmission Slipping

Hi All,

I have a bone stock 01 CL Type-S with about 80k miles. The vehicle has the auto tranny and Acura tells me my particular vehicle was not affected by the recall.

For the past couple of months the car has been doing some weird transmission stuff. When driving it seems to all of a sudden be in neutral. This seems to happen more often when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear (but not all the time). Also, sometimes the car will not shift up to the next gear which seems to also happen around second to third gear(but not all the time).

I am an old school back yard Honda tuner but do not mess with transmissions. In searching the forum i read something about cleaning screens (think it was under the air box). Any help would be really appreciated, times are tight and I am trying to avoid some crazy transmission work bill.

So far I have checked the fluid and topped it off with Acura brand fluid. I also called Acura thinking the transmission filter was clogged but was informed there is not a filter on the vehicle. I was thinking a fluid flush which they agreed with but that's $200 I would rather not spend unless the probability is high it will fix the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 AM
Sundance Gold in

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
They are miserable liers all 2001 were affected under recall. There are 2 filters , internal - requireing box dissasembly and return filter - screwd into side of ATF cooler/warmer - this one can be changed but mostlikely wont change anything - unless is clogged completely than it may cause tranny to starve oil. I would check clutch pressure valve A-B - middle tube mesh screen. If it has metal powdery material you shuold be good for some time but if it is fabric like stuff - that is base material of friction plates and that means your clutches have gone bye bye. Cleaning it will solve problem temporarily -just good enough to trade it
Old 02-28-2010, 05:59 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me where to look for the clutch pressure valve a-b middle tube screen? Hoping to dive in and check the screen soon. Also, any other input would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Sundance Gold in

Originally Posted by htyper96
Thanks for the input. Can you tell me where to look for the clutch pressure valve a-b middle tube screen? Hoping to dive in and check the screen soon. Also, any other input would be appreciated.
Its on the top of the trany. Take out battery, remove battery plate. Valve body A-B is screwd with 6 bolts and has 2 plugs - brown ,black. Remove valve - once you do it you will see 3 small tubes and 1 large. Check all small ones - just pull em out and check screens on the bottom. Middle one usually gets clogged
Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
5th Gear

Cool, thank you for the info! Hoping to give it a shot this weekend.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 PM
5th Gear

Hi all, sorry for the lag time...work has been crazy. So I was able to check the screens, the middle one was indeed very clogged which I cleaned. Hoping everything would be ok I took the car on a test drive and encountered the same issue after a while. One thing I did notice was the car seems to shift fine when using the tiptronic up and down to shift manually.

So with that said, any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Sundance Gold in

Originally Posted by htyper96
Hi all, sorry for the lag time...work has been crazy. So I was able to check the screens, the middle one was indeed very clogged which I cleaned. Hoping everything would be ok I took the car on a test drive and encountered the same issue after a while. One thing I did notice was the car seems to shift fine when using the tiptronic up and down to shift manually.

So with that said, any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to say that but mostlikely your tranny is a toast! There one more solenoid "C" on the front side of transmission , you may check that too - it takes maybe 30 min to do it but this one usually throws in TCS codes when clogged. One way or another - stuff that is sitting on screens is simply clutch pack base material and that indicates - clutch plates are gone ....
Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 PM
5th Gear

Thanks again Celynka for the info. Would you be able to give me specifics on where to find Solenoid C and cleaning the screen. My light actually did come on a while ago but everything seemed ok so I cleared the computer and its has not come on since. If this does not work (which it seems like it might not) thoughts on taking the car to just any tranny shop vs Acura? I was thinking Amco since they seems to have a fair reputation. I am actually looking to sell the car so trying to spend as little as possible.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Sundance Gold in

Solenoid C is mounted on the side of tranny. Lets say if A-B is on the top C is in about same position but between tranny and radiator - looks similar to A-B but has 1 plug and 4 screws. 1 screen to clean - inside gasket. If you are planning to sell it, I would change ATF 2x3 , clean all screens 1 more time and trade it the way it is . Tranny job may cost you 2.5 - 3 k ... so I do not know if you want to drop that much on the car u ll b selling
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear

Took my car 1997 cl today today to the mechanic. Had timing belt warter pump and oxygen sensor (upstream) Replaced went to pick my car earlier today. It slips really bad and wont catch gears. Wtf did my mechanic break he it sounds like a clogged filter tho my car was driving ok before he serviced it...? Could he of losen a wire or something on accident?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ your 4AT needs a rebuild. There are issues with internal filter getting clogged and killing clutch pack for 2nd gear. I am assuming 3.0L CL?

rebuild should remove internal filter and place an inline filter into the cooler line
Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by celynka
Solenoid C is mounted on the side of tranny. Lets say if A-B is on the top C is in about same position but between tranny and radiator - looks similar to A-B but has 1 plug and 4 screws. 1 screen to clean - inside gasket. If you are planning to sell it, I would change ATF 2x3 , clean all screens 1 more time and trade it the way it is . Tranny job may cost you 2.5 - 3 k ... so I do not know if you want to drop that much on the car u ll b selling
what are the specific jobs of each of those solenoids?

A
B
C

thanks
Old 04-17-2021, 07:38 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Acura 3.2 CL type-s

I just bought this Acura and it only had 83,000 miles on it. It just started slipping out from 2nd great and sometimes won't go into 2nd gear. Before I purchased it the man had a mechanic change it the oil pressure valve. Yesterday my wife came to my job site and she said the car had been acting up. If you let off the gas it will slide into gear but yesterday I also found a plug behind the(green plug) which I'm assuming is the pressure valve. I literally just bought this car and the guy said there was nothing wrong with it. Any ideas as to what it could be out how you all have fixed your cars.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:13 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfred Torres
I just bought this Acura and it only had 83,000 miles on it. It just started slipping out from 2nd great and sometimes won't go into 2nd gear. Before I purchased it the man had a mechanic change it the oil pressure valve. Yesterday my wife came to my job site and she said the car had been acting up. If you let off the gas it will slide into gear but yesterday I also found a plug behind the(green plug) which I'm assuming is the pressure valve. I literally just bought this car and the guy said there was nothing wrong with it. Any ideas as to what it could be out how you all have fixed your cars.
There's a guy who fixed all of his shifting issues by replacing transmission oil pressure switches and cleaning solenoid filters.

I hope this helps you.

I bought my 02 TL ABP at 115k in 2007 and got a new transmission shortly after. Ever since then, I've been only doing ATF drain&fill and recently did my very first filter replacement at 237k. So the transmission's been doing well over 120k miles on its own apart from the original engine that's on 237k.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:38 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Acura 3.2 CL type-s

Aside from my car slipping gears I finally got a code for p1750.????
Old 04-21-2021, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfred Torres
Aside from my car slipping gears I finally got a code for p1750.????
P1750 - Acura Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis (dtcdecode.com)