2001 CL - Remote Programming Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL - Remote Programming Assistance

Hello! I love this community and refer to it often. I am [almost] always able to find the answers to fix things myself – which is pretty cool!

I have a 2001 Acura CL and the remote key fob just died. I replaced the battery but it still isn't working. I've been attempting to reprogram the remote but seem to be having difficulty understanding the directions. I found the directions on another thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...remote-514071/ .

1. Turn the IGNITION SWITCH ON. (note: this is the iii position, and you do not have to start your car)
2. Push the REMOTE LOCK BUTTON with remote aimed at the rec. In the passenger multiplex unit. (this is by the glove box).
3. Turn the IGNITION SWITCH OFF.
4. Turn the ignition switch on.
5. Push the remote unlock button while aimed at the rec. You should hear the locks click.
6. Push the remote lock button.
7. Within 10 sec. Aim the remotes (up to three) that you want to set at the rec. And press the lock or unlock buttons. When you do this each remote should be locking/unlocking the doors.
8. Turn off the ignition and remove the keys.

I am not sure which of the steps need to be done three times. I have tried a couple of combinations with no luck. It may be because I’m not understanding the “rec.” portion of the directions. Is this intended to mean receiver? If so, how do I know I’ve found it?

Finally, is there a light on the key fob supposed to light up? Maybe this is just plain dead?

Appreciate all assistance. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Yes, there's an LED. Battery is probably dead. This is from the TL service manual but I imagine it's the same for the CL

Last edited by Iggy; 04-11-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
("I am not sure which of the steps need to be done three times. I have tried a couple of combinations with no luck. It may be because I’m not understanding the “rec.” portion of the directions. Is this intended to mean receiver? If so, how do I know I’ve found it?")

("Finally, is there a light on the key fob supposed to light up? Maybe this is just plain dead?") The process is not as complicated as it appears! It's just that all steps MUST be performed in the proper sequence, within the allotted time. At least for me, it took several tries before I finally GOT IT RIGHT. Your question, " which of the steps need to be done three times" Answer, NONE.. I think you may be confusing "three times" with the system allowing up to three individual remotes to be programmed, to any one specific car. You are correct, in that the "rec." is being referred to as the receiver. If you point the remote, in the general direction of the glove box, you will have found it, as that is the area where the receiver is mounted. The remote need not be pointed exactly at the receiver, just in it's general direction. And, yes, there is a red led on the remote. If the led does not light up, when either the lock or unlock button is pushed, that would indicate, 1. The battery is dead. 2. The led itself is dead. 3. The remote itself has an issue. If you make several more attempts, and still cannot get it to work, I have a working remote that i can send you to try.