'03 CLS-6 IMRC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'03 CLS-6 IMRC Issues

So sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but it seems that ever since I got my CL back from having a clutch done the IMRC no longer engages. It could of course be a coincidence that it stopped working around that time but who knows. Asides from testing the plug into the IMRC actuator for voltage at high rpm, is there anything else I can test or look at short of buying another actuator?
Old 07-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Squag27
So sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but it seems that ever since I got my CL back from having a clutch done the IMRC no longer engages. It could of course be a coincidence that it stopped working around that time but who knows. Asides from testing the plug into the IMRC actuator for voltage at high rpm, is there anything else I can test or look at short of buying another actuator?
Did you happen to have any luck downloading that specific CL-S pdf manual on the link I provided in your 'Issue shifting into 5th & 6th' thread? Just curious, because others have had issues. If you did not have success, the link below will get you a download pdf manual for $24, should you choose to invest in one:

Acura CL 3.2 2001, 2002, 2003 Service Repair Manual PDF Download | AutoManualSource

With that said, there is a whole gamut of electrical testing 'stuff' starting on 11-206 specific to the manual transmission model. Testing for wire continuity, communication between the IMRC and its module et al. There is a No. 6 ECM (15A) fuse located in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box that you can check, though. Otherwise, it looks like one has to follow the procedures set forth in that section to narrow down what is failing/at fault.

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
Oakroadsteve (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Advanced

Thanks Zeta, I have yet to get the manual. I checked the fuse and tested for voltage at the plug for the IMRC so it looks like it most likely is the actuator. Gonna go pick up one tomorrow but if that doesn't work I'll probably buy the manual next.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks Zeta, I have yet to get the manual. I checked the fuse and tested for voltage at the plug for the IMRC so it looks like it most likely is the actuator. Gonna go pick up one tomorrow but if that doesn't work I'll probably buy the manual next.
No problem. In addition, I'm far from understanding all of the electrical processes; however, make sure to keep in mind the connections between the ECM and the IMRC bypass valve control unit and then the connections between the IMRC bypass valve control unit and the IMRC actuator.

#5 on the link below is the IMRC control unit:

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...nit-cabin-scat
Old 07-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
Did you happen to have any luck downloading that specific CL-S pdf manual on the link I provided in your 'Issue shifting into 5th & 6th' thread? Just curious, because others have had issues. If you did not have success, the link below will get you a download pdf manual for $24, should you choose to invest in one:

Acura CL 3.2 2001, 2002, 2003 Service Repair Manual PDF Download AutoManualSource

With that said, there is a whole gamut of electrical testing 'stuff' starting on 11-206 specific to the manual transmission model. Testing for wire continuity, communication between the IMRC and its module et al. There is a No. 6 ECM (15A) fuse located in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box that you can check, though. Otherwise, it looks like one has to follow the procedures set forth in that section to narrow down what is failing/at fault.

Good Luck!
Dr. Z the salvage yard on 441 in Davie has a couple of CL type S cars with complete engines. I may join squag to harvest some accessories and assist in pulling needed IMRC related parts. The check engine light appears on my SMR auto on occasion even though it still runs like a top. I think I'll pull some coilpacks and the 02 sensor for a rainy day...I'll keep a keen eye out for a "Type S" medallion should you wish to put the bulls eye back on your trunk lid.

For the time being I have the undisputed quickest CL in the family again.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
Dr. Z the salvage yard on 441 in Davie has a couple of CL type S cars with complete engines. I may join squag to harvest some accessories and assist in pulling needed IMRC related parts. The check engine light appears on my SMR auto on occasion even though it still runs like a top. I think I'll pull some coilpacks and the 02 sensor for a rainy day...I'll keep a keen eye out for a "Type S" medallion should you wish to put the bulls eye back on your trunk lid.
If you can pick-up an extra throttle body and VSA unit for cheap, you may be able to entertain getting them ported. Copping extra coil packs is a great idea and the O2 sensor before the cat is the one to get if you can get to it. Keep in mind the IMRC bypass control module, the Auto and the 6-speed share the same part # so it would work on squag's car if need be.

For the time being I have the undisputed quickest CL in the family again.

You better watch out, if he gets a set of Manzo or XS-P headers for under $150, you will have your work cut out for you in keeping your tail lights in front.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Ended up being just the actuator, the car screams now that everything is working right! Looks like we'll have to "take a trip to Mexico" in the next few days and do another run between the 2 cars..
zeta (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Racer

If you can pick-up an extra throttle body and VSA unit for cheap, you may be able to entertain getting them ported. Copping extra coil packs is a great idea and the O2 sensor before the cat is the one to get if you can get to it. Keep in mind the IMRC bypass control module, the Auto and the 6-speed share the same part # so it would work on squag's car if need be.

You better watch out, if he gets a set of Manzo or XS-P headers for under $150, you will have your work cut out for you in keeping your tail lights in front.
I was able to locate the respective throttle body and VSA units on an 01 TL this morning but as it was already hovering near 100 degrees (or so it seemed) in a mosquito friendly environ I was content to harvest the coil packs and save the pleasure of removing the "TB" and IMRC units for another trip to Davie.

Thanks for capturing the correct verbiage on what the 2nd throttle body unit is which is what I'll call it when I deal with the owner of the yard on a selling price. The last time I pulled both units the clerk attempted to bill me for the cost of two throttle bodies which I considered to be outrageously pricey for a salvage unit. I told her to keep the units which she did and I believe they were thrown away.

Sadly it would appear you're on the money with the header upgrade to the 6 speed. It's going to take more than a ported throttle body and intake runners to keep abreast of Squag if and when he makes the transition.
zeta (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I was able to locate the respective throttle body and VSA units on an 01 TL this morning but as it was already hovering near 100 degrees (or so it seemed) in a mosquito friendly environ I was content to harvest the coil packs and save the pleasure of removing the "TB" and IMRC units for another trip to Davie.

Thanks for capturing the correct verbiage on what the 2nd throttle body unit is which is what I'll call it when I deal with the owner of the yard on a selling price. The last time I pulled both units the clerk attempted to bill me for the cost of two throttle bodies which I considered to be outrageously pricey for a salvage unit. I told her to keep the units which she did and I believe they were thrown away.
The TL you found with the throttle body/TCS was probably an '02 because the 01 TL did not have the TCS system even though the '01 CL-S did. See the links below.
'01TL
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...ttle-body-scat

'01CL
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...le-body-2-scat

'02TL-S
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...dy-type-s-scat

In addition, the TL-S/CL-S part #'s for the throttle body/TCS share the same part number.

Sadly it would appear you're on the money with the header upgrade to the 6 speed. It's going to take more than a ported throttle body and intake runners to keep abreast of Squag if and when he makes the transition.
The only thing I can think of is to remove the emergency spare tire/jack and whatever else you have in the trunk to lighten it up a bit, then, of course, get the jump on him at the starting line, hehe.

Be careful down there in Mexico, !
Oakroadsteve (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Racer

The TL you found with the throttle body/TCS was probably an '02 because the 01 TL did not have the TCS system even though the '01 CL-S did. See the links below.
'01TL

'01CL

'02TL-S

In addition, the TL-S/CL-S part #'s for the throttle body/TCS share the same part number.

The only thing I can think of is to remove the emergency spare tire/jack and whatever else you have in the trunk to lighten it up a bit, then, of course, get the jump on him at the starting line, hehe.

Roger that!!!!.... the federales south of the border are almost as rude and formidable as the Parkland constables in our neck of the woods who refuse to play fair and hide their units behind trees and large shrubs. Sunrise mobile meter maids rate a dishonorable close second.

Thanks for the heads up on the spare and perhaps the passenger side front seat might need to be removed also for "servicing". The motors that move the seat back and forth and allow reclining need to be regreased every now and then to keep them from freezing up. The removal of these items with perhaps some wider rubber up front for added traction should be good for a tenth or two and might afford my auto enough of a lead off the line to fend off the hard charging top end of the 6 speed.

Many thanks for the links......I will advise on the throttle body porting......
Old 07-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Did a couple runs from a dig this evening and was neck and neck with a buddy's '16 ecoboost mustang so you may need to remove that passenger seat for "servicing" after all if you want to keep up. Now about those headers...
Oakroadsteve (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Racer

'01TL

'01CL

'02TL-S

Did a couple runs from a dig this evening and was neck and neck with a buddy's '16 ecoboost mustang so you may need to remove that passenger seat for "servicing" after all if you want to keep up. Now about those headers...
I would suggest you keep your GF out of the mix should the encounter occur...You stalled when the light turned green the last time we ran with her riding shotgun...........
Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dont pay for the 01-03 acura CL service manual.. u can download it free online.. thru YOUTUBE.. a video will show you what to do.. Ive scaned the PDF and its clean.. i would upload it but its like 3xx megs.. i can try.. if i can find space to HOST such a big size file.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...txt=You%20Tube

someone helped me.. Payin it Foward - Thank u Karanx7
Old 08-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Racer

Squag and I came across some headers over the weekend and are posting a thread to detail our experience..
Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Squag and I came across some headers over the weekend and are posting a thread to detail our experience..
Nice.

There is some helpful info in the thread below from 'back in the day':

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...allers-461011/

Also, to make the install as smooth as possible, be sure to invest in some grade 8 bolts and nuts for the flanges if the headers have come from China.

Good Luck
Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Many thanks for the links......I will advise on the throttle body porting......
The thread below may be a possible modification to consider for a few extra ponies on your '01 CL-S. You could probably pick one up on the cheap at that salvage yard you and your son visited. The only downside is it will have to be milled down a bit to get the hood to close; however, with good measurements and a little adjustment, it should work.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...estion-959901/