02 CL Type-S Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012 | 10:58 AM
5th Gear

02 CL Type-S Issues

I recently purchased a 2002 type-s with about 120k miles and am having some issues with it. The oddest one is that when I get into the throttle (anything over 3/4 ish), the red "brake" light comes on on the dash that usually comes on for the e-brake. I also have a VSA light on as well as the exclamation point. The dealer told me that there was something wrong with the ABS unit in the car and replaced the module before I bought it. Acura told me that the VSA light could be on because they didn't reprogram the ABS system after replacing the module, does this sound right? Any insight into these issues would be great, this is not only my first Acura but my first import and I'm kind of lost from a diagnostic standpoint. I plan on taking it to an Acura dealer but with all these issues popping up I think I'm going to go back to the dealer and buy a warranty on it before any diagnostics are done that would get registered with the VIN.
Old 04-05-2012 | 11:05 AM
5th Gear

I also forgot to add that the previous owner changed the wheel size. They went from the stock acura 17"s to aftermarket 16"s for whatever reason, I had a mechanic tell me that that could be throwing the VSA light but Acura said this is not true. What are your opinions on that? I see these cars around town with aftermarket wheels all the time, I doubt all of them are driving around with their VSA lights on? Had a neutral position relearn done just in case, didn't change anything.
Old 04-05-2012 | 11:39 AM
Sundance Gold in

Brake light comes on because you are low on brake fluid - usually that happens when brake pads are worn and more fluid sits inside the caliper. As of VSA: it is not true that wheel size may affect it. Replacement of VSA control module does not need reprogramming. If that would be an ABS issue , ABS indicator would be on - if it is not, it is the VSA issue - only - and that might be caused by so many things, it is pointless to list them. You need to have your car hooked up to HDS ( honda diag. sys.) to pinpoint your issue
Old 04-06-2012 | 11:27 AM
5th Gear

That's what I was afraid of...is it driveable for the time being? I want to wait for my warranty to be processed before I take it to Acura in case they find a major problem.
Old 04-20-2012 | 09:10 AM
Master of Mountain roads

A bad wheel speed sensor (relatively cheap and easy fix) will give you the VSA light.