Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Installer @ Tweeter!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mehoff!........
Old 02-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Got a Job!

Ok everybody, I FINALLY figured out how to work my camera correctly in the night. Before, the colors came out a little funky and the picture seemed grainy. So hopefully these pictures clear things up for everybody.

Mini Cooper w/ HIDs on right, Mine w Philips Ultinon 6000k on left

Mini Cooper w/ HIDs during warm-up

Mine during warm-up

Mine during warm-up (almost finished)

Mine, after being warmed up

My light up close

Mini Cooper w/ HIDs up close

Mine

Mine

Mine

Lighting up the road (after being warmed up)

`John
Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Got a Job!

Ok, I ended up taking some better pictures after figuring out how to work my digi camera. I will host them as thumbnails in which you can click them for the hi-res.

Mini Cooper w/ HIDs (right), Me w/ Philips Ultinon 6000k (right)

Me lighting up the road

Cooper HIDs during warm-up

Mine during warm-up

Mine, warmed up

My headlight, up close

Mine up close again

Cooper headlight, up close

Mine

Mine

I thought this was cool

`John
Old 02-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Instructor

thanks for the pics, looks good.... I think im gonna order them.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

very nice!
Old 02-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Girls luv me Guys hate me

Fuk yeah! Just ordered my 6000k just now. THANKS!!!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Cruisin'

Let me know when you get new foglights what you went with I want to get ones to match headlights.
JT
Old 02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tousij2
Let me know when you get new foglights what you went with I want to get ones to match headlights.
JT
you'll have to do an HID conversion.... unless you want to spend about $1500 on PIAA's HID fogs
Old 06-16-2005, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MisterMehoff
HIDs are not illegal if they came standard w/ your vehicle. For example, if you put an HID on a civic, that is considered illegal because civics don't come standard with HIDs. However, if your car such as the 2nd Gen CL comes standard w/ HIDs, and you install higher temp HID bulbs such as 6000K, its not illegal.

ultinons are not legal, btw.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 AM

Back from the dead Yeah I got the Philips D2R 6500 and have loved them over the 4100K stock. Dem1K, I couldnt find 6000K Osrams you were referring to, so I got 6500K Philips.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Pro

Where is a good place to buy thse PIAA 19224 bulbs at?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

HIDs are not illegal if they came standard w/ your vehicle. For example, if you put an HID on a civic, that is considered illegal because civics don't come standard with HIDs. However, if your car such as the 2nd Gen CL comes standard w/ HIDs, and you install higher temp HID bulbs such as 6000K, its not illegal.

I had 4500K in my 5th gen Accord, and wasn't ever bothered by the police. I think it depends on if the officer wants to bug you or not. I think I want some of those bulbs. THey're a slightly more bluish tint then the 4100k our stockies came with. Anybody know what ones the Evo's come with? Those are what I want to upgrade to. I want to say they're 4900k, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry off topic but whats a good 6000K bulb to replace with to achieve a purplish blue color.

would the 6000k be a direct replacement of the oem bulbs?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM
7th Gear

you do realize that you're output has gone up the shit becasue you've used a kelvin rated bulbs the outputs less light? to be honest,If you don't get headaches after long periods of driving i'll be very surprised!

I use to be a ricer like yourself but got sick of the vomit like output my ricey 6000k kit gave me! Do yourself a favour and read up on the net before you go wasting money on kits! in a llot of instances you'll turn your car into a glare machine because it isn't designed to output HID light.

you may be impressed by his pretty pictures but ask anyone who knows anything about lights and they'll tell you this thread should be stickied as "what not do when wanting hid's"

/The truth never lies!

Long Live the slykster!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:00 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Andy Van Slyke
you do realize that you're output has gone up the shit becasue you've used a kelvin rated bulbs the outputs less light? to be honest,If you don't get headaches after long periods of driving i'll be very surprised!

I use to be a ricer like yourself but got sick of the vomit like output my ricey 6000k kit gave me! Do yourself a favour and read up on the net before you go wasting money on kits! in a llot of instances you'll turn your car into a glare machine because it isn't designed to output HID light.

you may be impressed by his pretty pictures but ask anyone who knows anything about lights and they'll tell you this thread should be stickied as "what not do when wanting hid's"

/The truth never lies!

Long Live the slykster!

Nice one!! If anyone needs correct information, visit www.hidplanet.com
Old 06-17-2005, 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by babyblue
Pretty good buy then... I like the color, gives us an update in rain cuz thts when most people say miss the stock 4300K... Good pics..
you said it...

i had the same ultinon bulbs in my cl-s until I decided to get rid of the car after it was jacked and totaled by the insurance co.. Still have teh bulbs though.

In the rain, but more specifically when roads are wet, it sometimes feels like my headlights aren't even on.

I think it has something to do with the color temperature and road markings being wet. I think the yellow reflects better than blue, so the road markings at least reflect the light when wet with the more yellowish 4300k's. But with the 6000k bulbs, there's less reflection off the wet road and markings, so it's a tad more difficult to see them.

As i grow older and my night vision grows worse, I think there'll be a day when I wouldn't be able to use 6000k bulbs. I'm only 27 so I have a bit to go yet.

I think that's the reason any HID bulb over stock 4300-4500k aren't street legal.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Suzuka Master

It's not illegal to buy 6000k bulbs and it's not illegal to put them in your car, but it IS illegal to use them on public roads since they are "for offroad use only".

I don't htink there are any hid bulbs over stock colors (4500k is max I think?) that are street-legal.

I think 6000k is the most you can get away with since they are only slightly more blue than the stocks (actually a whiter color). I think any higher than that it will be obvious that they are not street-legal bulbs because the light output will be obviously blue (like when the 6000ks are warming up).
Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Theoretically, yes. because HIDs emit over 3 times more light than halogen. In the rain, Halogen lights are useless. They might as well be fog lights. So, if you were to get 6000k, you would still get better lighting on the road in the rain versus using the Halogen.
you're inaccurate there. there's more than just the output that matters, like how the wavelength of the light reacts when reflecting through rain and water that makes 6000k's worse than halogens on wet roads.

I did a little thinking about this (haven't though tabout this stuff since college) and figured out why the 6000k's are slightly worse in the rain than 4300k's. so I'm slightly wrong about what I said in a previous post about the 6000k's not reflecting as well.

Yellow is less reflective than white, which is why fog lights SHOULD be yellow or halogen, because they cut through the fog better. White light just reflects off the fog blinding you.

In the rain when roads are wet and you have yellowish lights (4300k, halogens, fogs), the "yellow" component of the beam will be more likely to pass through the layer of water on the road and reflect off the markings, enabling you to see them better.

With 6000k bulbs and higher (less yellow component), there is less light making it to the markings because most of the light is reflected off the water layer before it reaches the markings. so most of this light is wasted as glare (to oncoming drivers, sleeping birds, tree monkeys, etc.).

I think the reason why 4300k's are better than halgoens in the rain is because there's enough yellow component in there, so the increased brightness in combination with this "yellow" makes it better than halogens. But moving to 6000k's makes it worse than halogens on wet roads because even though it's still brighter than halogens (but less so than 4300k), there's not enough "yellow" to reflect the markings as well as halogens.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
you're inaccurate there. there's more than just the output that matters, like how the wavelength of the light reacts when reflecting through rain and water that makes 6000k's worse than halogens on wet roads.

I did a little thinking about this (haven't though tabout this stuff since college) and figured out why the 6000k's are slightly worse in the rain than 4300k's. so I'm slightly wrong about what I said in a previous post about the 6000k's not reflecting as well.

Yellow is less reflective than white, which is why fog lights SHOULD be yellow or halogen, because they cut through the fog better. White light just reflects off the fog blinding you.

In the rain when roads are wet and you have yellowish lights (4300k, halogens, fogs), the "yellow" component of the beam will be more likely to pass through the layer of water on the road and reflect off the markings, enabling you to see them better.

With 6000k bulbs and higher (less yellow component), there is less light making it to the markings because most of the light is reflected off the water layer before it reaches the markings. so most of this light is wasted as glare (to oncoming drivers, sleeping birds, tree monkeys, etc.).

I think the reason why 4300k's are better than halgoens in the rain is because there's enough yellow component in there, so the increased brightness in combination with this "yellow" makes it better than halogens. But moving to 6000k's makes it worse than halogens on wet roads because even though it's still brighter than halogens (but less so than 4300k), there's not enough "yellow" to reflect the markings as well as halogens.

Point well served. Very well explained. Good job.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Advanced

looks nice!!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:15 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SupaCL
looks nice!!
Did you mean to say 'looks nice' or 'looks rice'?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:25 AM

What is this? The neighborhood watch association? I mean, anything more than 6500k/6000k HID is (admittedly) However, I dont think anyone here other than dem1k or I has had 6000k/6500k HID's. This is a simple bulb replacement and is far from being illegal or From my point of view or Dem1k's, there is really no noticeable difference in light output other than the color. I've driven in heavy rain and I've found that my 6500k HID's work just fine, if not better.

As far as i'm concerned :troutslap , you can take your paper stats and shove them up your #%$. I'm happy with the results that i'm getting and i'm sure that there are others that are happy with the results also.

As to the statement that anything above 4100k/4300k stock HID's blind oncoming traffic is totally false, unless your car did not come equiped w/ stock HID's.

Have fun with this one McGruff's
Old 06-19-2005, 04:28 AM

Did you mean to say 'looks nice' or 'looks rice'?
I guess you can't read. He said "looks nice". Don’t start using inferences, you’ll just look dumb.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AMorgCLS
What is this? The neighborhood watch association? I mean, anything more than 6500k/6000k HID is (admittedly) However, I dont think anyone here other than dem1k or I has had 6000k/6500k HID's. This is a simple bulb replacement and is far from being illegal or From my point of view or Dem1k's, there is really no noticeable difference in light output other than the color. I've driven in heavy rain and I've found that my 6500k HID's work just fine, if not better.

As far as i'm concerned :troutslap , you can take your paper stats and shove them up your #%$. I'm happy with the results that i'm getting and i'm sure that there are others that are happy with the results also.

As to the statement that anything above 4100k/4300k stock HID's blind oncoming traffic is totally false, unless your car did not come equiped w/ stock HID's.

Have fun with this one McGruff's

Ok, what's with the anger all of a sudden.

1) yes, I HAVE had 6000k bulbs in my cl-s, so I know from PERSONAL observations that they are less effective in rain/wet roads than the 4300k stock bulbs. The brightness is very similar that you can't tell, but in wet weather they ARE less effective than 4300k bulbs, regardless of what you say or think.

2) 6000k bulbs ARE ILLEGAL. if they are not DOT approved or "street legal", they are ILLEGAL to use on public roads. Just because they are similar enough to 4300k that no one will give you problems, or that they are a simple bulb replacement doesn't all of a sudden make them legal.

3) and why should I shove the "paper stats" up my ass as you say? I included that because I wanted to explain WHY the 6000k's are TECHNICALLY less effective in wet weather than 4300k...but of course someone like you wouldn't understand because you're too opinionated. Maybe you don't notice the difference in wet weather between the 4300 and 6000k, but THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, both technically and from PERSONAL OBSERVATION. So you can shove that up your ass.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:49 AM

Touche' :surrender
No anger at all, just a late night rant after getting super and poor use of words on my part.

Now I understand that upgrading any car to HID's that didnt come HID equipped from the factory is illegal. However, where did you find the info for upgrading factory stock HID's is illegal?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
that is a nice blue, but consider your self blind in the rain.

why is that?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 PM

To be quite honest, I must be extremely lucky with my 6500K upgrades. I drove from Phoenix to Tucson one night in a heavy thunderstorm (prolly a month ago) and I could see just fine . I was not squinting, nor did I ever feel that I was in danger from the upgrades.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Touche' :surrender
No anger at all, just a late night rant after getting super and poor use of words on my part.

Now I understand that upgrading any car to HID's that didnt come HID equipped from the factory is illegal. However, where did you find the info for upgrading factory stock HID's is illegal?
It's not "illegal" to upgrade the bulbs...say from a DOT approved 4300k to a DOT approved 4500k.

But I haven't found anywhere that sells 6000k bulbs that are DOT approved, hence they are "not street legal". The law changes from state to state, but I don't think there are any states that approve the use of these bulbs and I think on the packages of these bulbs, it says "for offroad use only" or "not for use in U.S.A. and EU" or something. But then as I stated before, 6000k is very similar to 4300k's in color that you will most likely not be pulled over for it.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

To be quite honest, I must be extremely lucky with my 6500K upgrades. I drove from Phoenix to Tucson one night in a heavy thunderstorm (prolly a month ago) and I could see just fine . I was not squinting, nor did I ever feel that I was in danger from the upgrades.
I have driven from TX to PA and back with 6000k bulbs in POURING rain while running away from tornadoes as I passed through Alabama (damn rednecks!).

I didn't find them dangerous either and could see fine without squinting...BUT i did notice they are less effective than the stock 4300k's.

But I wouldn't trust someone with failing eyesight to be driving, let along driving around with 6000k bulbs in their car, and I don't think the DOT would either, which is why they aren't approved for street use.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:01 PM
7th Gear

I guess you can't read. He said "looks nice". Don’t start using inferences, you’ll just look dumb.

Let my pictures speak louder then words then!

6000k ricey vomit kit (my driveway) I think i'LL SPEW!

Close up

Now tell me again how these 6000k bulbs are the shit?? and btw, these are all of the same car! I just modifed it so the housing was desgined to project HID light!

Thanks for coming Newbie
Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 PM
7th Gear

Let my pictures speak louder then words then!

6000k ricey vomit kit (my driveway) I think i'LL SPEW!

Close up

Now tell me again how these 6000k bulbs are the shit?? and btw, these are all of the same car! I just modifed it so the housing was desgined to project HID light!

Thanks for coming Newbie
Sifn't allow me to fix typo's!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess from those pics that the 6000k kits are pretty "ricey", but replacing a stock HID setup with the philips 6000k bulbs looks NOTHING like that.

the Philips 6000k's are bluish when warming up (10-20 seconds), but after warmup, they look WHITER than 4300k's, no blue (or yellow) at all.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:29 PM
7th Gear

My bulbs start of blue then turn to white/yellow (because they are new bulbs) within about 5 seconds. I'll acknowledge that 6000k bulbs are better than a stock halogen but not by much.

I had 6000k's for around a year and I swear i began to get headaches If I was driving for more than a few hours at a time. If you got two cars and gave one 6000k hids and the other OEM 4100k or 4300k then looked at them from a distance you'd certainly say the 6000k looks brighter when in fact it isn't at all.. biZZarrarOOOni!!

My kit was a cheap heap of crap (like all of them are) from taiwan so bear in mind the range of quality can range.

Don't get me wrong, HID kits rock!! As long as you don't rice it up with moronic temp bulb go for it.. What upsets me and most people on the road is when people put it in a car that isn't designed to project HID light. ahhhhh the GLARE!!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:34 PM

Wow, my lights (6500K) looks a lot better than that. I dont know why, maybe luck? Dunno
Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 PM
7th Gear

Post up then.. Can't wait too see these lucky 6500k bulbs..rofl!!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:01 AM
Got a Job!

dood I don't know WHAT kind of kit you got, but that shit looks nothing like what I have. My bulbs look no where NEAR ricey. They look damn near stock even. After they warm up, they are just a bit whiter than the stock HIDs, with a VERY slight blue hue to them. Your shit looks green. Philips is the way to go.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:54 AM
7th Gear

All I'll say is if you have 6000k or over!! you're a ricer! If you wish too sit here all day and dispute how you're 'kit' looks OEM save your breathe. Anyone who knows HID knows ricer a mile away!!

enjoy your kit and the eventual run in with the law

Account deleted!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:11 AM

:ghey: OK there Andy Van Dyke, I'm a ricer
Old 06-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

:ghey: OK there Andy Van Dyke, I'm a ricer
I don't know about you, but I'm a brown-ricer myself.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Got a Job!

All I'll say is if you have 6000k or over!! you're a ricer! If you wish too sit here all day and dispute how you're 'kit' looks OEM save your breathe. Anyone who knows HID knows ricer a mile away!!

enjoy your kit and the eventual run in with the law

Account deleted!
dood, it's not a fucking kit you idiot...all I got were bulbs...PERIOD. The car comes stock with HIDs, so why would I need an entire kit? I got authentic Philips bulbs. Oh, and don't even try to school me on your thoughts.

Quick Reply: Philips Ultinon 6000k HIDs Installed!! *56k beware*