'01 SDG build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'01 SDG build thread

I might as well have a build thread to show the slow progress of my pathetic CL.

Originally when i bought it the stock rims were painted black and looked dumb. They're sitting in my garage so maybe one day i'll take a picture of one since I can't find a picture of them from when i first got it. The paint is chipped and just looks trashy so I got Motegi FF7's. Wish I would have got some silver Enkei RPF1's .. maybe one day I suppose

Quick crappy iPhone photo of rims from awhile back:

A few weeks ago I lowered my car on Tein S Tech springs, and love it. No before/after Pictures to go along with it

Here's what I did today:

I plasti-dipped the rear Acura Emblem and the front grill. I like the back but the front looks horrible. Might just take it all off or maybe just remove it from the front emblem and see how it looks, didn't have time to today.

Not really sure what I'm going to do with it in the future, or what I should do. I'm looking forward to suggestions to do and feedback whether it's positive or negative! I'll definitely take better pictures soon with a camera and look forward to seeing the continued slow progress of this car.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
The front does look odd. I would have left the center bar silver as well as the emblem in the front. The rear looks good. Might want to swap the fog light bulbs which are only 15-25watt driving lights with nokya 35watt or 55watt ion yellow bulbs. Also maybe doing the new style of black vinyl on the roof. New cars are this way to "hide" the sunroof from standing out. Rare color as i think it was only available in 01'. I agree that when you can swap the wheels out for gun metal. Pick up a set of 07-08 TL-S rims maybe . Inexpensive but effective upgrade.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
The front does look odd. I would have left the center bar silver as well as the emblem in the front. The rear looks good. Might want to swap the fog light bulbs which are only 15-25watt driving lights with nokya 35watt or 55watt ion yellow bulbs. Also maybe doing the new style of black vinyl on the roof. New cars are this way to "hide" the sunroof from standing out. Rare color as i think it was only available in 01'. I agree that when you can swap the wheels out for gun metal. Pick up a set of 07-08 TL-S rims maybe . Inexpensive but effective upgrade.
I might try leaving the center bar silver that might look sweet so we'll see. I thought about getting the TL-S rims.. my dad had some on his '04 TL, after he sold it I told him I wanted them and he said he would have given them to me Black vinyl roof would be something different but I'm not sure how good that would look on my car or if I would like it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
It has 03 lights and 01/02 fogs, pretty cool . Love the color.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Might want to swap the fog light bulbs which are only 15-25watt driving lights with nokya 35watt or 55watt ion yellow bulbs.
So I've been thinking about the fog lights idea..

1) One of the previous owners ruined the original fog lights because the bulbs melted the plastic so would the 35 watt or 55 watt lights be safe to use? also anyone have any input on which one to get whether it's the white or yellow what would look the best. I think I like the yellow a lot but not sure if it would look bad.

2) I'm kind of starting to like the all black grill, the thing that kind of throws it off is those fog lights. So i'm thinking maybe I can lightly tint the fog lights black and maybe that would look good. Then again sometimes I look at the grill and think it's awful so I'm still thinking of where to go with it.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikebikelife
It has 03 lights and 01/02 fogs, pretty cool . Love the color.
Thanks! me too, It's my favorite color for this but I love the Anthracite Metallic. Some people with that color on here make me wish I had one!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
Is that black ? Black is my favorite, silver, white .
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

It's just a dark gray color
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

One of my buddies took a few pictures of our cars. I took the Plasti-Dip off just the A on the front and think it looks good. Can't really see it but oh well..

Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
maybe some new wheels might help, the drop isn't bad though.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by _Trizzy
So I've been thinking about the fog lights idea..

1) One of the previous owners ruined the original fog lights because the bulbs melted the plastic so would the 35 watt or 55 watt lights be safe to use? also anyone have any input on which one to get whether it's the white or yellow what would look the best. I think I like the yellow a lot but not sure if it would look bad.

2) I'm kind of starting to like the all black grill, the thing that kind of throws it off is those fog lights. So i'm thinking maybe I can lightly tint the fog lights black and maybe that would look good. Then again sometimes I look at the grill and think it's awful so I'm still thinking of where to go with it.
35watts would def be safer if things are melting in other peoples cars or you could drill micro holes in the back of the lenses to vent the fog lights. Just an idea.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eneffex
maybe some new wheels might help, the drop isn't bad though.
Yeah i hate them, don't have the money to do it now. I want to get rpf1's but am still looking around. I wish it would of been a little lower but that's what i get for just getting springs.

35watts would def be safer if things are melting in other peoples cars or you could drill micro holes in the back of the lenses to vent the fog lights. Just an idea.
I think I'm going to do that and maybe drill a few holes in the back just to be safe.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Yeah i hate them, don't have the money to do it now. I want to get rpf1's but am still looking around. I wish it would of been a little lower but that's what i get for just getting springs.

I think I'm going to do that and maybe drill a few holes in the back just to be safe.
Right-on. Just make sure to drill them on the top since heat rises but place one hole on the bottom to bring in the cooler air to fill back in.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
The front end looks good but those wheels have gotta go.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Right-on. Just make sure to drill them on the top since heat rises but place one hole on the bottom to bring in the cooler air to fill back in.
Okay will do! thanks i can't wait to get them and see how it looks!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
The front end looks good but those wheels have gotta go.
I agree, I regret getting them. it's gonna be hard to any time soon, i just got my second speeding ticket last night. I really want Silver Rpf1's but not sure how those would look or what other wheels would look good on it.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear about the ticket.

I think RPF1s would look great! Just keep looking around the forum, I'm sure you'll find a set of wheels you like
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned

Okay will do! thanks i can't wait to get them and see how it looks!

I agree, I regret getting them. it's gonna be hard to any time soon, i just got my second speeding ticket last night. I really want Silver Rpf1's but not sure how those would look or what other wheels would look good on it.
Me neither...
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

It's been awhile, but I'm looking forward to this next update. I'm getting new rims finally! well kind of.. I took my stock rims in yesterday and am getting them powder coated the anthracite metallic color the '07/'08 TL Type S rims have. I wish I would have taken a picture of them before I took them in because they looked awful. I also am ordering the center wheel caps that go with those as long as they fit, I'm sure they do but I still need to look into that.

I found a few pictures of the day I got it, A lot of improvement I think. The rims didn't look too bad at first but they chipped so easy over time.