2G CL Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

DIY: HomeLink Garage MOD (Key Needed to Use)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: HomeLink Garage MOD (Key Needed to Use)

This "MOD" is a "Mod" by SOUTHERN *Original Post *.

He as well as many of us don't feel safe with our Homelink system being used by a thief to enter our own house. So SOUTHERN moded the Homelink to activate only with the key in the ON II position by tapping the power wire from the auto dimming mirror. The problem with this is that the map lights use the same power wire, so the side effect is that you can't use the map light unless your key is in ON II. That is a problem for me since use my map light quite often with out the key. So here is the mod:

1) To remove the HomeLink(HL)/sunlglass holder(SGH) module, you will use a philips (+) to remove 2 screws. Then you have to remove the clear lens to remove the other 2 screws. I just use a knife blade to prey it out. And remove the two screw. Disconnected the wire harness

*The pictures will look different from what you have, I added foil tape to further enhace the reflectivity of the map light. And it does work.*

2) Remove the 2 bulbs by twisting the holder counterclockwise,

3) Then remove the 2 switch covers by pressing the two tabs

4) Them remove the switch by preying it out with a flat screw driver. Just stick it in and do a turning motion, pilot in and out to completly remove it.

5) You can now see that Honda sells this entire unit as one piece, the HL system is built into the SGH. They joined HL and SGH by melting the pastic to "fuse" the two pieces together. So I drilled in the middle of the two melted pieces; i then took a razor blade to remove the plastic that was actually holding it together. This will allow you to lift up that portion.

6)DO NOT PULL ON IT, there is a wire connector that is still connected to the SGH. Next step is to remove the black cover. Flip to the upper side and push in the 4 tabs to release it. After removing the black cover, you can then slide the plastic holder from the Integrated Circuit (IC)

7) From the picture, PIN 1 is ground and PIN 3 is Power/Live/12V. So what we need to do is block the 12V comming in from the wire harness which doesn't require key to use. Just use electrical tap to insulate the 12V lead on the plastic picece.

8) Then you have to get a piece of wire, preferably 6-8 inch. not too long. Just enough length for you to put back and take out the unit. Strip the ends, and "turn/spin" the bare strainds of wire with ur finger to get then togehter. There is a small hold on PIN 3 on the IC where you can slip the wire through. Do that and tape it up to secure it. The tape can be on PIN 2 and PIN 3, pin 2 is not used.

9) Then slip the plastic cover back on and work the new wire through.

10) Since you already cut the plastic that fuses the two pieces. You can 1. get a glue gun and get some on the original place *I ran out of glue sticks so i had option 2. Red duct tape around the shown area will hold it in place securely, maybe more securely then the glue gun.

11)What you need to do next is to attach the new power wire to the 12V wire of the auto dimming mirror(ADM) that only comes on when the key is inserted and in position ON II. Strip alittle of the plastic covering of the 12V wire of the ADM, which is yellow wire. Tap the new power wire there and tape it up. Screw the 4 screws back and ur done.

Now, HomeLink will only activte with the key in the ON II position and your map lights will still work without the key. Yes, HomeLink will still works when the car is running. If you don't care about the map light, follow SOUTHERN's instructions
Old 01-19-2004, 06:52 AM
Team Owner

That’s a GREAT idea and it’s something that Acura should have done from the factory.
Sure is a LOT of work though.

Are all brands of cars with HomeLink “hot” all the time?
When you think about it, it’s not really a problem as long as you keep the car IN the garage.

I’m quite familiar with the internals of the overhead console from when I added the LED markers to my car.
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...light=homelink

Shawn S
Old 01-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S

I'm pretty sure that is the case. It's certainly the case with mine.

This thread is interesting. I wonder why car manufacturers don't do something like this?

Old 01-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

There are 4 cars at my house with 2 garage space. My mom is always scared that someone will break into my car and use the Homelink when i park outside. I always tell her that i already erase the programed code aready so she will stop worring. But really i haven't. But after this MOD i can stop lying to her.

Shawn,
Nice job with the LED. I kinda did the same with the mood lighting. But I placed 4 white LED on the side of the switch.

Scrib,
After thinking why manufacturers don't this, i came up with my theory. Well, if you use Homelink, then it means u have a garage. If you have garage, then you'll probably park inside. I think this is what they thinking. But I guess they forgot about us who have a garage but park outside.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:02 AM
900 club member

When you think about it, it’s not really a problem as long as you keep the car IN the garage.

Shawn S
The Home Link on Land Rovers are not "hot" all of the time, since they dont' fit in the garage anyway, it sure makes me feel better.

This is a great mod and the instructions cant' better, thanks for the post
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Team Owner

I wonder if there’s a LEGAL reason for the way these things come from the factory.
Considering what a litigious society we live in.

Imagine some DUMB-ASS person goes out through the house into his ATTACHED garage and gets into his car without opening the overhead door.
He then presses the button to open the door that is conveniently right in the car.
But the ignition isn’t on so the door doesn’t open.
Too lazy to get out and press the button on the wall, he starts the car while INSIDE the garage with the door still closed.
Then instead of opening the door right away, he’s distracted by the stereo and decides to load some new music into his 6-disc changer.
Soon, the exhaust gas makes him sleepy and he passes out while the engine continues to run.
An hour later, Mr. DUMB ASS is dead and the soon to be millionaire Mrs. DUMB ASS is on the phone with her lawyer to start the lawsuit against Acura.

I know it’s crazy, but not as crazy as some of the lawsuits I’ve heard about over the years.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great idea and that’s some really detailed instructions. This sucker needs to be archived.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 639 Likes on 283 Posts
Chod, add to the FAQ please