CLS'01 - OBX Headers - 226 hp -191 torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take all that plastic shiat off your paint...>That looks terrible!
Old 09-12-2002, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by moomaster_99
Hmmm...if those are the gains with the UR Pulleys....pull those suckers off cuz they are robbing your car of power.... I dyno'd the same thing, albeit 2 more whp.....with short ram (which supposedly cant compare with the CAI you all have), AEM pulleys ( they do a lot of good, but they look nice..) and CT headers.

Pulling power away -- I don't think so (the pulleys WILL help – period). I only have some questions about bearing wear issues – and time will tell.

Exactly WHAT is going on -- who knows for sure?

The pulleys, if not for some concerns for bearing wear, will reduce the engine side mass and unless they impact the timing/jitter of the ECU (car's computer), they just give you more "effective" HP/TQ gain. (More relative gain vs. non-UR-pulley in lower gears – that doesn’t mean dyno in lower gears == more power/better display. You made a comment about this in the other thread for a few chuckles

So, the 18" wheel weights relative to the stock 17" will not change the percent gain in any gear (it's just like adding or removing a bit of weight from the Dynojet's rollers). The gain or loss is fixed relative to gearing. OTOH, the pulleys change the "dynamic" relative to the particular gear that the car is in. (That doesn't mean you want to do a dyno in a lower gear -- that's not what I'm saying...)

People keep looking at just the weight of a wheel, and you could have a 26 lbs 18" wheel that would kick the crap out of a 18 wheel that only weighed 22lbs The "construction" of the 18" wheels (how that weight is distributed from the inside to the outside of the rim) can have a large impact on how they help or hurt a car's dyno and acceleration relative to the stock 17x7 OEM wheels.

Nashau, I clearly stated that I thought the actuator was NOT a problem from the look of the curve...

Oh, and thanks for the before and after list with the clear bra, etc... I think you would have gotten about 10 more HP if you scraped the suffocating 3M plastic junk off the front of the car. That stuff just can let enough air though the “breathable” paint into the engine bay (and you thought that soft paint was a design defect)
Old 09-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll try to capture some data this weekend to see how much the ignition timing changes in one a car that sits for an hour after being driven. Then that same car after sitting for three hours. I'll make some CSVs of it and post them.

BTW, not trying to take anything away Nashua Just trying to determine the source of the lower than expected baseline. Because IMO, it ended up right where I would expect it to be; where the Comptech headers hit. There is no discernable difference between the two designs; there should be little to no difference in the output.

Additionally, did you see if the battery was disconnected??
Old 09-12-2002, 11:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by scalbert
I'll try to capture some data this weekend to see how much the ignition timing changes in one a car that sits for an hour after being driven. Then that same car after sitting for three hours. I'll make some CSVs of it and post them.

BTW, not trying to take anything away Nashua Just trying to determine the source of the lower than expected baseline. Because IMO, it ended up right where I would expect it to be; where the Comptech headers hit. There is no discernable difference between the two designs; there should be little to no difference in the output.

Additionally, did you see if the battery was disconnected??

Comments/elaboration on test(s)?
Old 09-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Instructor

i guess this is what happens when u Wang it!

hehe

jk
Old 09-13-2002, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Nashua i was wondering if you have pics of the headers in your engine..
?
Old 09-13-2002, 03:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Daymn, I hope these things get CARB'd.......
Old 09-13-2002, 04:49 AM
Registered Member

How bad can things be if us Californians get them and they are not approved? We don't have to get smog checks until the 6th year...and when we do get tested and they look at the headers, how do they konw if it's not CARB approved or not...sticker or imprint?

Because i don't really anticipate on getting pulled over by a cop and being asked to pop my hood.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:49 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

for now all pics are here: http://www.flwse.com/images/nashua/
Old 09-13-2002, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL
Comments/elaboration on test(s)?
Basically just wanting to see the affects of heat soak and cool down on ignition timing advance. I have been curious about this anyway so might as well test it out using my OBD-2 Scan Tool software, which does work on the 6-Speed.

I was worried about it not working since it should but doesn't on my wife's BMW. But it reads and logs just fine.

What I will be looking for is the relationship of the Ignition Advance to the ECT and IAT. I'll also capture the MAP value since it might play a small part in the equation. But I want to view the changes of the advance as the ECT and IAT values change. I'm curious how much of an impact there is considering one degree can mean 1 - 2 HP depending on the application.

The one area I can’t see is KR. But for this I will assume that since I am running 93 octane, there will not be any.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:43 PM
foolio at heart

Originally posted by scalbert

I too am curious about the weight of those wheels???
18" Konig Imagines usually weigh about 24-25lbs per wheel.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:45 AM
BigPimpShyne

so is it straight up 500$??? that looks great...im in...Shyne
Old 09-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AcuraTLSFan
How bad can things be if us Californians get them and they are not approved? We don't have to get smog checks until the 6th year...and when we do get tested and they look at the headers, how do they konw if it's not CARB approved or not...sticker or imprint?

Because i don't really anticipate on getting pulled over by a cop and being asked to pop my hood.
I'm sure a lot of people have non-approved mods and "get away" with it...

OTOH, they do have roadside checks and you never know when you get pulled over by one of them (they can be pretty sneaky on where they put them. I also KNOW that they watch for cars pulling off on side roads before the checkpoints and could tell you a funny story about a road side check and a drunk checkpoint where people took the right before the blockade ahead). They will pull over a car that is less than 5-years only and I had an experience in the "old days" where they had a pretty thorough look under my hood.

So, will it happen -- who knows?

There is a "central" registry for parts and they do know what parts are CARB approved and the Comptech headers have a metal stamped plate on them. There are very few factory-stock cars with SS headers. I dropped by some mechanics that are also smog testers. They immediately noticed the headers and said they wouldn't touch the car if there wasn't an EO number on the headers and CAI.

So, that is only one experience and in no way reflects on ALL experiences and/or outcomes. However, I was surprised and glad that I had the EO numbers for the intake and headers in clear view...

What can or will happen is very "random"....
Old 09-22-2002, 02:04 PM
5th Gear

how much is this the obx headers going for?
Old 09-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Pro

Originally posted by blitzmr2turbo
how much is this the obx headers going for?
$400 shipped - on the AV6 forum you better hurry, it ends at the end of the month
Old 10-02-2002, 11:22 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

What ever happened to the other guy who was supposed to post a dyno of OBX headers on a stock CL-S?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

my car dynoed same as yours 225hp 194 tork
Old 04-19-2003, 06:40 AM
3rd Gear

Originally posted by Dom418
I'll send $1... I would have sent more, but the waiting for the graph was driving me NUTS.

Anyway, the Numbers look good, but I agree that the baseline number appears to be way down.... Maybe something is wrong and once it's fixed it would lead to even HIGHER numbers/gains
I was jus wondering since u have tha obx headers... has it givin n e problems... which 1 u think would be better obx or comtech please let me know what u think
Old 10-05-2003, 04:40 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
pictures no longer work
Old 05-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Grammar Police

Originally posted by CLpower
pictures no longer work
Nod, i was wondering -- does anyone have any graphs of dynos of before and after with either CT or OBX headers, and nothing else (AEM intake or something would be ok too).

I'm trying to dig up before & after graphs for headers in the search, and all the pictures are gone or expired...

- Mark
Old 05-11-2004, 05:54 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

if there is a group buy for under 300 possibly count me in, da only problem is making sure my dad doesnt find out, he thinks i drive to fast!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 03:02 AM
Banned

damn i need to go around dyno my car sometime
Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Pro

Question!

You have obx headers installed?> Are the comptech way better?> Which would you recommend? Thanks David
Old 08-05-2006, 01:59 PM
ALL SHOW AND NO GO

Most of the the guys that posted in this thread dont come on this site any more. But to answer your question. I have the megen headers that are pritty much the same as the OBX, it has pritty good gains. But has alot of hissing noise from it (resence)(i think is how you spell it) All i hear are good things about Comptech so you can go wrong with them but the price.