You don't have your seat belt on....Go to JAIL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the general majority here that she should not be arrested. What the government is seemingly oblivious to is the fact that we're not perfect.

There is a thining line that seperates a minor crime with a larger one, and one I do not like.

Personaly, I'd perfer to have a punishment based on an exponential curve, with minor cimes just discouraged by fines, up to most major stuff which IMO should just be capital punishement--if only to free up our overcrowded jails. With such a friendly death as leathal injection, why not use it some more instead of having people sit in a 6'x8' room for 40 years?

It's like the way we treat our trash: here, we dump it in land fills and let it sit, in Japan, they burn it.

Ok, that was off topic. I'm quite sadistic aren't I.

------------------
I am a cute fuzzy squirrel.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something that those of you living outside of Texas might not realize is that there are an awful lot of little towns in this state that THRIVE on the income that is generated by fines from speeding tickets, arrests, etc. In Texas, the stereotypical deputy with the beer belly and more brawn than brains is more commonplace than most people realize. Very often, you are dealing with a 2, 3 or 4 person police department where the cops are told to aggressively enforce ANY violation in order to collect a fine. Additionally, the Chief of Police, District Attorney or City Prosecutor, City Manager and Judge or Justice of the Peace are more often than not all "in bed with one another" as the saying goes, so the deck is stacked against violators from the start, all in an effort to fill up the city's coffers. Whenever I am travelling across the state, I am EXTREMELY mindful of the laws, because it can cost you severely if you aren't.

Now, on the other hand, being a small town near the center of Texas, you're going to find a lot of hillbillies living in and around there with an excuse for everything up to and including why they got themselves drunk last night and couldn't make it in to work in the morning (e.g. "I ain't puttin' on no seetbayelt"). Proof of insurance? Carry it in the car, so there's never a reason to not have it ready. She got her purse stolen the day before? I'm betting a report was never filed. And let's face it...a parent moving their car even one inch without having their children securely buckled in is just plain ignorant.

Being arrested was an extreme overreaction, and it most likely shouldn't have happened, but I'm fairly certain that the woman's stupidity didn't help matters any. And by the way...everyone in any vehicle I'm driving is buckled before the gearshift goes into drive.

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Nighthawk Black, Parchment Interior, Non-Nav, Rear Wing, Tint