You don't have your seat belt on....Go to JAIL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 02:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
You don't have your seat belt on....Go to JAIL!!!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/563763.asp

Land of the free...hell I moving to Canada where they still recpect the concept of freedom!

------------------
2001 Silver CL-P
PIAA 19169
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tinted
Old 04-24-2001, 02:44 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
This is fucking ridiculous.

Might as well be living in communist china.

I think I'll be moving to Canada to before the US drafts me to fight against our own people.

Craziness. Pure craziness.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 04-24-2001, 02:45 PM
Rod
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's ridiculous!!! WTF is wrong with people? The only thing I really hate about my CL is the damn seatbelt.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type S
Satin Silver Metallic/Ebony

Stock, for now at least.
Old 04-24-2001, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Then people wonder why we have so many anti-american cults and para-military groups in this country. The LAST place I would think this would happen would be Texas.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-24-2001, 02:50 PM
Instructor

This is idiotic, that police officer should have his brains examined or something, I understand seat belt tickets but arresting someone, for no seat belt?!?!? And she had children in her car w/her. I mean I would also understand a tripple fine for each child, because she is technically endangering them but arrest, F NO!

------------------
-
2001 Silver CL-S w/o NAVI

...Get-in, sit down, shut up, HOLD ON....
Old 04-24-2001, 02:53 PM
Team Owner

FINE WITH ME.

I think if a driver gets hurt in a frontal collision caused by him/her without wearing a seatbelt, their medical insurance should initiate a 10,000-dollar deductible to help pay for their stupidity.

Take a walk around an auto salvage yard sometime and check out all the impressions made on windshields by people who were “expressing their freedom” by not belting up.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 04-24-2001, 02:58 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
FINE WITH ME.

I think if a driver gets hurt in a frontal collision caused by him/her without wearing a seatbelt, their medical insurance should initiate a 10,000-dollar deductible to help pay for their stupidity.

Take a walk around an auto salvage yard sometime and check out all the impressions made on windshields by people who were “expressing their freedom” by not belting up.
</font>
Hey... if your not wearing your seatbelt. Its your problem.

I mean... I even agree with fines/ticketing for not wearing a seatbelt.

But I totally disagree with arresting some 30yr old mom (in front of her kids) for not wearing a seat belt.

They brought her down to the station... printed her... took her mug shots.. etc.

Total and complete violation of privacy.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-24-2001, 03:03 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
Hey... if your not wearing your seatbelt. Its your problem.

I mean... I even agree with fines/ticketing for not wearing a seatbelt.

But I totally disagree with arresting some 30yr old mom (in front of her kids) for not wearing a seat belt.

They brought her down to the station... printed her... took her mug shots.. etc.

Total and complete violation of privacy.

</font>
Couldn't have put better myself. Actually, I could have, but why type it all out again. Not wearing your seatbelt is YOUR problem, you don't need to get arrested for it. They want to control every damn thing you do.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
FINE WITH ME.

Shawn S

</font>
So,

You go to Wawa, get a coffee, get in your car, forget to buckle up and five seconds later your in jail and being treated like a criminal?

Can't happen? SURE IT CAN.

My friend fell asleep in his car drunk outside of a bar, decided not to drive home but wanted to hear some tunes. He was woken up and arrested for DWI.

So, IMO a parent should be arrested if she does not buckle up a minor, that I am all for but arresting someone for not wearing a seatbelt is too extreme. I rather pay $200 for a seatbelt ticket fine than have the embarrasment of being arrested, have to sit around REAL CRIMINALS who rape, steal and deserve to be there.

Expenses you say? Well, if health insurance goes up? so will our tax dollars having to now hold and process all of these seatbelt offenders.

Shawn I love ya baby but on this one I have to disagree.

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-24-2001, 03:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is not just about seat belts. Any minor offense may now result in you or a family member being arrested.

If tonight your mom doesn't make a full stop at a stop sign on her way home, she can be handcuffed and arrested at the officers discretion. Think about that. If today on you way home from work you make a "unsafe lane change" or any other minor moving violation, you too can end up in the local jail.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-P
PIAA 19169
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tinted
Old 04-24-2001, 03:14 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P:
This is not just about seat belts. Any minor offense may now result in you or a family member being arrested.
</font>
Take it one step further.
- missing your front license plate? GO TO JAIL
- window tint too dark? GO TO JAIL
- brakelight out? GO TO JAIL

I'm thinking of heading to the Caribbean

(Canada is just a U.S. territory waiting to happen as soon as Bush depletes our natural resources)

As Jon Stewart once put it, "Canada is fine until we run out of natural resources. Then its, knock. knock. hey canada, we're outta wood. get out."
:-D

but back to my original point, this decision is F'ed.

------------------

2001 Acura CL Type S, black/ebony, spoiler, 35% tint, V1, comptech springs, weather mats, piaa19170-doors, piaa19169-road lamps, pia19168-map lights
aim:silvn1
goldn1
Old 04-24-2001, 03:17 PM
dlp
Instructor

Check this link. This is just too ridiculous. This is going to have Minority groups breatihing down hard on the courts since they tend to scream loudly if a disproportionate amount of arrests are minorities....

I wonder if you can be atrrested for having too dark of a window tint... or no front plate...

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...rest_dc_2.html

------------------
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV & Spoiler. San Marino Red/Parchment int. Purchased 2/28/01.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1584587&a=12058921

1999 Honda VFR800FI San Marino Red, TBR X-Metal Hi pipe with K&N Filter. Purchased 9/9/99.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Well, a little history on my reasons for my STRONG position on this subject.

Timeline 1985...
Two weeks after graduating High School my best friend died in an offset head-on crash with a similar sized vehicle.
His front tire blew and the car pulled across the double yellow.
He was killed instantly when his neck broke as his forehead struck the windshield.
The driver of the other car was in the hospital for a month, but I’m guessing that today he is 15-years older and still enjoying life.
My friend was one who would never wear a seatbelt because they were just “not cool”.

I have two other close High School friends who I still keep in contact with today.
After the above accident I convinced them both to start using belts.
Sure enough, years later they were both involved in separate crashes.
Both of them are still with us today.

I’m not patting myself on the back or anything, but I REFUSE to drive if a passenger doesn’t belt up.

Sorry for bringing the mood down.....No smile for this post.

Shawn S

------------------

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
Old 04-24-2001, 03:28 PM
The Creator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by goldn1:
I'm thinking of heading to the Caribbean

(Canada is just a U.S. territory waiting to happen as soon as Bush depletes our natural resources)

As Jon Stewart once put it, "Canada is fine until we run out of natural resources. Then its, knock. knock. hey canada, we're outta wood. get out."
:-D
</font>
hahahaha.

good point.

But the Caribbean is toooo close... where you think all the US imigrants are gonna float too when marshall law is the norm?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by soopa (edited 04-24-2001).]
Old 04-24-2001, 03:32 PM
The Creator

Well, a little history on my reasons for my STRONG position on this subject.
</font>
So you think your friends should have been arrested?!?

Ticketed. Maybe.

But arrested? Their prints and their mug shot put on file? Locked in a cage against their will?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-24-2001, 03:46 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
i agree, i didn't read the whole thing before, but if she didn't buckle her kids in she deserves to go to jail!
Old 04-24-2001, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
So you think your friends should have been arrested?!?
</font>
Well, if he would have been arrested when he was 17 he might be alive today.
Like I said, I’m not really the one to argue this topic with.

Maybe the whole “arrest” thing is a bit extreme, but something should be done.

Shawn S

------------------

Old 04-24-2001, 04:01 PM
The Creator

Well, if he would have been arrested when he was 17 he might be alive today.
Like I said, I’m not really the one to argue this topic with.

Maybe the whole “arrest” thing is a bit extreme, but something should be done.
</font>
If your soo careless as to get in a 3500lb moving object... hurdle yourself down a road at 65mph... without a seatbelt... then GOD BLESS.

Something has been done. You get oulled over... and fined for not wearing your seatbelt. If your willing to risk a $70 ticket... AND YOUR LIFE... because your too lazy to cross your arm and grab the belt.

Then its your problem.

This isnt just seatbelts were talking about anyway... this explicitly gives police the right to ARREST anyone for MINOR traffic violations.

Pretty disgusting in whats supposedly a free country.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 04-24-2001, 04:32 PM
Racer

Dude... this sucks donkey ass....

------------------
***New Car***
2001 Acura CL Type S
Black on Ebony
Navigation, Spoiler, Wheel locks and tint.

Acura - We are Artists of the Streets.
Old 04-24-2001, 05:26 PM
Burning Brakes

i will not touch on the arrest part, but buckling up is not an individuals problem alone. it affects everyone through our insurance rates. imagine the difference in an accident where there i s no head injury vs. where there is major head trauma. the costs are staggering. and a parent who puts thier own childs life at risk should be shot!
my .02
p.s. i dont start my car till all are buckled.

------------------
01 BLK/BLK CL-S, FACTORY SPOILER, K/N DROP IN
98 INFINITI I30T
99 MAXIMA SE
Old 04-24-2001, 05:40 PM
Adult Supervision

You guys would love Connecticut - no helmet law for motorcycles. Mops are required on all bikes so the cops can clean up brain-matter at accident scenes...

For me, this article is a little out of control. High fines, okay. Hauling Mom away in cuffs and jailed - I don't think so.

It was also a waste of the local tax payers money to have the town defend the jerk. And don't tell me the PBA paid for it cause that only means the Police are demanding higher wages to fund the PBA and/or Union.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-24-2001, 05:52 PM
Advanced

I had the joy of seeing what happens to a driver who has a head-on without a seat-belt. The only thing she did wrong was drive a road with a drunk coming the other way...and not wearing her seatbelt. I've buckled up everyday since (I was 13 at the time.) I don't really see the need for laws like this (cell phone usage included), but most of the people *want* to be guided like little sheep. Its really a sad thing.

I had an interesting discussion in a college class a few years back. The professor maintained that if we removed all safety equipment from cars, and instead put a VERY sharp knife on the steering column only inches away from your chest, that all safety problems assoc. with cars from speeding to reckless driving would come to an end. He did admit that it would end only because the stupid people would be thinned out.

Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2001, 06:43 PM
Banned

Insurance companies should require the usage of seatbelts. If you weren't wearing one in an accident, you're on your own. Only morons don't wear their belt.
I feel naked without my seatbelt.
Well... except the time I had to drive around campus naked... but that's for a different thread.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
"Too many news programs have become public relations friendly" -Bill Oreilly
"People spend too much time finding other people to blame, too much energy finding excuses for not being what they are capable of being, and not enough energy putting themselves on the line, growing out of the past, and getting on with their lives." - J. Michael Straczynski
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 04-24-2001, 07:18 PM
Pro

i think it's the drivers responsibility! if they don't want to wear it then i just guess that they gotta learn the hard way! i've been in 3 car acciendts so far and i've been lucky enough to walk away becuz of the seat beat. it's like riding a motorcycle in the city, everyday.....ride @ your own risk! DDONT BUCKLE UP @ YOUR OWN RISK!
Old 04-24-2001, 07:39 PM
Pro

PMSnbc distorts the truth.. yea it was too far to arrest her and send her to jail (where she did not spend the night and was let out on a $310 bond) here is a fuller version of the story and not as distorted as PMSnbc would lead one to believe, in addition to not wearing seatbelts or putting seatbelts on for her children that were only 3 and 5, she had no driving license and no proof of insurance on her: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...arrest_dc.html

She claims to have had her purse stolen the day before and therefore did not have a driver's license or proof of insurance

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
* no navi, spoiler, mudguards
* wheel locks, full front mask
* fenderwell and door trim

[This message has been edited by e1828 (edited 04-24-2001).]
Old 04-24-2001, 07:48 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by e1828:
PMSnbc distorts the truth.. yea it was too far to arrest her and send her to jail (where she did not spend the night and was let out on a $310 bond) here is a fuller version of the story and not as distorted as PMSnbc would lead one to believe, in addition to not wearing seatbelts or putting seatbelts on for her children that were only 3 and 5, she had no driving license and no proof of insurance on her: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...arrest_dc.html

</font>
Yet, you do not tell the whole story either. She had a license, it was not on her person nor was her insurance as it was stolen in her purse the day before. I am not condoning her - but you need to tell the whole story too.

Anyways, she is from Texas...who cares....lock 'em all up!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-24-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro

It seems very convenient that her insurance and driver's license were stolen the day before she was pulled over by the cop. It is required by law to have those items with you to drive in Texas, so if she did not have those items she should not have been driving. But I am glad to see that someone is reading the links. =)

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
Old 04-24-2001, 09:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

in addition to not wearing seatbelts or putting seatbelts on for her children that were only 3 and 5, she had no driving license and no proof of insurance on her: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...arrest_dc.html
</font>
So if your wife had her purse stolen and forgot to put on her seat belt and the kids seat belts you feel that she SHOULD be taken to jail? Do you know how traumatic it would be for a small child to see his/her mother handcuffed and taken away to jail. A huge ticket is in order here not jail. Give her a $1,000 fine and/or suspend her license for 6 months. But do not arrest a mother in front of her family.

But more importantly this ruling affects every minor moving violation. This open up a huge can of worms and gives to much leeway for an officer to decide if you do to jail for not having you turn signal on while changing lanes.

Just be prepared to kiss some officer ass next time you get pulled over. Next time you take a drive with the family you better think twice, cause you too could be handcuffed and arrested in front of you children, spouse, parents, friends, etc...

------------------
2001 Silver CL-P
PIAA 19169
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tinted
Old 04-24-2001, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The lady in the story was probably being a bitch to the officer. I would have hauled her ass to jail to...

What? You don't want to go to jail??? DON'T BREAK THE LAW!!!

Old 04-24-2001, 09:47 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P:
So if your wife had her purse stolen and forgot to put on her seat belt and the kids seat belts you feel that she SHOULD be taken to jail? Do you know how traumatic it would be for a small child to see his/her mother handcuffed and taken away to jail. A huge ticket is in order here not jail. Give her a $1,000 fine and/or suspend her license for 6 months. But do not arrest a mother in front of her family.

But more importantly this ruling affects every minor moving violation. This open up a huge can of worms and gives to much leeway for an officer to decide if you do to jail for not having you turn signal on while changing lanes.

Just be prepared to kiss some officer ass next time you get pulled over. Next time you take a drive with the family you better think twice, cause you too could be handcuffed and arrested in front of you children, spouse, parents, friends, etc...

</font>
Did you read the first part of my message? Did I say it was necessary to haul her ass to jail? Exactly read the entire message before you go spewing off.

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
Old 04-24-2001, 09:50 PM
Racer

I've got no problem with it. Everyone seems to forget that driving is a privilege, not a right. Everyone should be wearing a seatbelt, plain and simple.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment - #26519
non-nav - spoiler - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s - Zaino baby! - Pics of my car
Old 04-24-2001, 09:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashburner:
What? You don't want to go to jail??? DON'T BREAK THE LAW!!!

</font>

Have you or a family memeber done any of the following:

1: Speed. (5 MPH over the limit)
2: Not make a complete stop at a stop sign.
3: Change lanes without signaling. (Even with no one around)
4: Followed a car at an "unsafe distance".
5: Been lost and made a U-turn where it wasn't permitted.
6: Went through a yellow light that just turns red as you leave the interesction.
7: Litter out the car window.
8: etc...

If you have never ever done one of these things then please hand in your Acura CL and proceed to the nearest toyota dealership and get a Toyota Echo.

Becasue at some point EVERYONE of us has done one or more of these things. And now you can go to jail if the officer is having a bad day. And that is not fair.

Old 04-24-2001, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Did you read the first part of my message? Did I say it was necessary to haul her ass to jail? Exactly read the entire message before you go spewing off.

</font>
Then why did you add the fact that she didn't have her license and insurance info with her? It sounds as though your are trying to defend the officers decision to arrest a mother in front of her children.

That is irrelevant to the overall fact that she was taken to jail for an offense that would result in a big ticket 99% of the time. So even if she "Didn't have her license or insurance info", it is still wrong.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-P
PIAA 19169
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tinted
Old 04-24-2001, 10:26 PM
Pro

Because it is relevant to the case:
1. She did not wear seatbelts.
2. She did not put on seatbelts for her children (ages 3 and 5).
3. She did not have a driver's license with her.
4. She did not have proof of insurance with her.
5. Yes she claims to have had her purse stolen the day before. If that is the case she should not be driving.

Should she have been arrested? IMO.. no, but what I am trying to add is the circumstances of which she was arrested, and all the factors that may have led the officer to bring her in.

Yes it is possible that the officer had a shitty day and that is why he chose to take it out on her (not right) or he could have been witness to countless number of accidents where minors suffered tragic injuires/deaths because they were not buckled up, I cannot say as I was not there, but msnbc and cnn fail to mention that on top of the seatbelts, she did not carry id or car insurance with her, which is illegal not only in Texas but here in California .. and YES it does disturb me that police officers can now arrest for the smallest of things.. like littering or jaywalking,.. but unscrupulous cops can always make up reasons to arrest you.

I think we fall into a slippery slope type of mentality when we start mentioning that people will be arrested for not signaling to change lanes.. do we have so little confidence in our police officers that we cannot believe they would exercise a little common sense into whether or not to arrest someone?

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S

[This message has been edited by e1828 (edited 04-24-2001).]
Old 04-24-2001, 11:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I think we fall into a slippery slope type of mentality when we start mentioning that people will be arrested for not signaling to change lanes.. do we have so little confidence in our police officers that we cannot believe they would exercise a little common sense into whether or not to arrest someone?

</font>
I beleieve that 90% of the cops are good and honest people, but there are unquestionabley police officers that overreach their authority. And this Supreme Court Ruling will allow the bad 10% to legaly arrest you, even for an "unsafe lane change".

Is it likely to happen to you...hopefully not. But now it can. And that is the dangerous part of this ruling. Now those bad 10% of cops can arrest you for a minor offense.

I live near LA and am very familiar with the "Rampart Police Scandal", there are simialar stories in nearly every other metro area. There are bad cops out there and this ruling will allow them to further abuse our rights.

That is similar to the treatment I would expect in a thrid world country or a police state.

Old 04-24-2001, 11:33 PM
Racer

i dont agree with the term JAIL, and ARRESTED.

I think it might be okay to be sent to a TRAFFIC CORRECTION INSTITUTION, with JUST traffic violators...but not jail with rapists, theifs and so on..

you would be sent to the TRAFFIC CORRECTION INSTITUTION right away, and you would have to probably sit there and this about your actrions, ALONG with a bigger fine. This would DEFINETLY teach me a lesson, honestly, if i get a ticket, oh well, i'l pay the ticket, but I HATE WASTING TIME SITTING SOMEWHERE.

Also, was there any need to be handcuffed?

------------------
-------------
Acura 2001 CL Type S, (black on black)
Acura 1996 CL (bronze on stove)
Old 04-25-2001, 01:07 AM
Race Director

I think a lot of people are simply missing the point. We are not here to debate the merits of that particular case, whether she should be arrested for what she did or not. We don't know all the facts, maybe yes, maybe no.

What is the real point is that the Supreme Court has allowed to stand by a slim vote the discretionary arrest powers of LEO for minor traffic offenses. Why don't we debate that instead of all that other crap?

Yes I always wear my seatbelts and everyone else should too because it affects everyone, not just that person. So what? That's not relevant here.

What is relevent is that I break lots of traffic laws, none of which my local/state government has laws that allow them to punish me by anything more than a fine and driver's license action. I and the rest of my community do not expect to get arrested (meaning handcuffed, vehicle impounded, booked, and bonded) for a minor traffic violation that:

1.Has long since been de-criminilized by my State and many other states and is now strictly a civil matter.
2.May be an intentional or unintentional violation and should not result in an arrest.
3.Doesn't harm anyone, is not a felony, and certainly cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
4.Doesn't allow for due process. I get arrested before I even have a chance to prove/disprove anything. This is not like a bank robbery where you are arrested on suspicion and get jailed for a week before bonding out, only to face the real sentence. Your due process is court before getting 15 to 25. With a traffic violation, the real sentence is 1/2 day or 1 day in jail for running a red light and you get that before you see a magistrate. Where's the due process?

I did not agree to be subjected to a LEOs discretionary arrest powers for minor traffic violations. IF I GET ARRESTED IN KANSAS FOR DOING 55 IN A 35, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED AND I'M GOING TO SUE AND I'M GOING TO WIN!!! BECAUSE I'M GOING TO GET A GOOD LAWYER AND I HAVE A PRISTINE RECORD AND IT WON'T TAKE ME SEVERAL YEARS TO WIN. I'm not going to have a lawyer trying to fight this using Constitutional law and amendments, how about civil rights violation, equal protection, and due process. Ok, those are US Constitution.

The mood of the nation is changing and it's getting worse every since George W. has taken office. The S.C. is giving the green light to everyone to start reversing everything and start acting like people need to disciplined for everything and start taking a second look at everything to see if it needs fixing.

It is unfair if I get arrested for running a stop sign and the next guy gets a $75 ticket for running a stop sign. THAT IS SO UNFAIR. It is unequal in the eyes of the law. I know a bunch of you guy out there are CRIMINALS (Yeah I said it and you've admitted it, too! ) and you don't mind going to jail for a little while or most likely you've already been there, but I have never been arrested, never been cuffed, never been in jail, and neither want nor need to be. I know a lot of you guys out there break the law constantly (DWI, drugs, pot for those who still think marijuana is not a drug, theft, shoplifting, petty shit, etc.) so if you get arrested, "well I've broken the law so many times before, I should have been arrested last time, no big deal this time..." sorta thing. I don't drink, period. I don't do drugs, period. I don't need an arrest record, period.

Sorry to vent, sorry I'm so mad, but it just appears to me that all the people who've been in trouble with the law (for a lot of other illegal shit) don't really mind if the rest of us get pulled into this and get in trouble with the law too, for the little shit like a traffic violation. Kinda redeems them and it allows the playing field to be more even in their eyes. You know who you are!

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *
Old 04-25-2001, 04:14 AM
Learn to swim.

Hey Ken, your my hero for the day. I was going to try and type soemthing along those lines up but don't have the energy. Your motives are a little off to me though, seems like your more worried about you and your arrest record than the "good of the people". Simply put, we cannot put our freedom in the hands of Joe Cop, we cannot give any law enforcement agency the ability to arrest/detain a person without due process or a criminal act. I am not talking about the lady and her kids, she is a mute point now, what is important is the ruling and what it could mean. This country is folowing a trend now days where tragedies are used as excuses for more rights be infringed upon and the people losing ground. Someone gets shot, ban guns. Someone gets gets drunk and runs his boat into the dam, ban alcohol on all state lakes. Someone doens't buckle up and hits a tree, make it posible for an officer to arrest you for traffic violations.

No, this is not the answer. Rights are easy to lose, but VERY hard to get back.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:31 AM
Learn to swim.

Ok, well I just read a little more. This means more than the possibility of being arrested for a traffic violation. When you are arrested, the arresting officer has the right to search your vehicle adn you--including all passengers. So, say you have "something" on you, maybe you forgot to leave it at home, you get stopped for speeding, the cop doesn't like your hair so he arrests you just so he can search your car.
I play baseball, in Texas if you get stopped and there is a bat or any similar club like thing accessible from the drivers seat you can be charged with weapon possession? Should I have to worry about this if I want to go to the grocery store? No, I shouldn't. I obey 99% of the laws, I pay my taxes, I don't try to hurt anyone/thing, I honestly try my best to be a good person. So do I need to be treated as a criminal? NO!

Scary stuff folks, really is.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Lets just hope we all get pulled over by cool cops like these two:

Notice what the one officer is holding.

Quick Reply: You don't have your seat belt on....Go to JAIL!!!