xs power headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I dunno bout' you fuzzy but do you kinda laugh to yourself when you see on people on here spend that much money for the same gains? I do!
Not really. It's all in what the buyer wants. I had a set of CT's so I can't say anything bad about them. If these XS ones were a bomb like the rest I would have got CT's again. The thing CT really has is the CARB sticker. That's a must in CA, & in some other states.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
The thing CT really has is the CARB sticker. That's a must in CA, & in some other states.
Tru... Didn't think about that.

Down here in SC anything goes!

Cali's emissions laws suck!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by slowcl-s
To me it makes no fuckin sense why they jack there prices up! I understand good engineering isn't cheap but 1200 msrp for a set of headers is rediculous!

I dunno bout' you fuzzy but do you kinda laugh to yourself when you see on people on here spend that much money for the same gains? I do!
Well you should consider the following:

When you search on ebay for these XS headers what does the title say: "Comptech style"? XS has copied someone else's design. Comptech was the first to develop headers for the car; they invested all the time and $ for R&D.

Their headers are a thick T-304 stainless steel that are TIG welded, have CNC machined flanges, are 50 state legal and CARB approved (this costs tens of thousands of dollars to get), and come with a 3 year warranty. And Comtech has great customer service. You will be lucky to get a 5 day warranty from XS if you can even get a response from them.

I'm not saying they aren't a great bang for the buck b/c they do actually fit unlike most of the previous cheap Chinese copycat headers, but the Comptech's are well worth the price tag. I had them on my own CL-S and when I sold the car I sold the headers for only a few hundred under what I bought them for. Yes, Comptech's headers are a little high priced but they are top notch.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I said and your right, the cost for good engineering and to make sure that every set of headers they sell are inspected is very pricey and they need to make up for that on each sale...

But, you also have to take into consideration that maybe the reason why there expensive is because of the model car there made for?

Do you think the engineering that goes into DC sports headers, mugen headers and other very good brands for K20's, B18's, etc. are prolly very similar in the sense of time spent producing them and dollar amount spent are similar, but are HUNDREDS of dollars cheaper! Prolly because those headers are going into less expensive cars all together and the consumer will not spend that kinda money to receive minimal gains. Granted gains are better on a j32a2, then a k20, b18 etc. BUT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT QUALITY AND ENGINEERING NOT POWER GAINS!!

You have to also consider that comptech practically has a monopoly on the CL and are by far better than the shit OBX, Megan Racing, and others. Also allowing them to MARK UP!

So the real ? is... (putting CARB approved, and type of stainless used aside)
The reason why there so expensive is because the consumer who owns an acura 3.2 cl type s which started around $30,000 will be more willing to spend the $1200 for a set of headers, then someone who buys an RSX-S or ITR which is around $20,000 prolly wouldn't.

XS Power is just reeking the benefits from comptechs substantial mark up, Comptech prolly broke even several months after production of the 1st set of headers. Those Headers are nowhere near worth the money!!!!!! Unless you have money to throw away!

You have to look at it through a business perspective.... Whats gonna make the company more money!!! Majoring in BA will make you look at things a lilltle diferently.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Shit Kris, you do alot of driving...
And half the miles since the 6 speed conversion has been completed has been split up between 2 vehicles. It would be closer to 20 k if i drove my car teh whole time)