The Wraith Movie

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wraith Movie

Here I am bored on a Saturday afternoon about to go out to dinner with friends and what comes on TV; a cheesy, low budget film from the mid '80's movie starring Charlie Sheen. The movie was actually released in '86 as I remember it being near when I started driving.

But what caught me off guard was the rear end of the Turbo Interceptor in the film. It was nearly identical to the NSX.

Also, I knew that motor had potential and led the automotive market in turbo technology.

As the below quote state states, the M4S had nothing in common with the Daytona but I did still love that motor. I also kick myself for not taking advantage of a situation I had which also involved a Honda vehicle. In '91 I had the opportunity to by a perfect '89 Daytona Shelby Z w/ 20k on it for $4500. I opted to buy an '88 Prelude Si 4WS, which was great, but ended up having problems (damn AC in the 4WS vehicles), for $9000. In the end I screwed myself as the Daytona was worth about $10k at the time and I could have had it for $4500. The car was impeccable in and out with T-Tops, etc. I still kick myself for that decision but I did love the Prelude though.

But after watching part of the movie today I realized how things have changed but yet they haven't. The car was at the forefront of import technology with a high horsepower turbo-4 along with a curved body kit. But at the time this was far from the idea of performance yet it could have run with exotics. Notice, DOHC and 16 Valve heads almost twenty years ago to those who think Honda invented this...

The Dodge PPG Interceptor also know offically by it's Dodge name, the M4S, is a car that was built in the early 80's. 1984 to exact is the model year. It had very little in commom with anything produced by Dodge in those times. It was NOT just a Daytona with a different body. The only thing the M4S shared with the Daytonas of the day was the 2.2 liter engine block and the 5 speed manual transmission. On top the block was a highly modified Cosworth 16 valve twin cam head. It was force fed with twin Garret T-25 turbochargers and fueled with Bosch- L Jettronic fuel injection. It made 440 hp and had a top speed as tested by Road and Track to 194.8 mph. It did 0 to 60 in 4.1 and the 1/4 mile at 12.9 at 104 mph. Rumor had it that there was also another engine that was making 600 hp. The M4S was a mid-engine designed car designed by Dodge as a concept for future production, but due to it's high cost construction the idea for production was dropped seeing how Dodge didn't think anybody would be interested in a high proced sports car in those days. Remember this was 1984. Long before the Interceptor M4S made an appearance in the low budget film 'The Wraith' it saw use as an actual Indy pace car. The only modification the M4S received was flashing strobe lights for serving duty as the Indy pace car. After it's first major appearance to the public at Indy the car was donated by Chrysler for use in the movie 'The Wraith'. A place called Code One was contracted to build some replicas of the real prototype M4S for the movie. I've read that up to 30 of these cars were built for crash sequences and stunts. After the movie filming was over the car was returned to Dodge. Flash forward to today and apparently there are know to be 4 M4S's in exsistance. One was last known to be located in the head quaters for PPG Industries. One of the others is located at the Walter P. Chysler Museum in Aubum, Michigan and is on regular display. The last thing I heard was that there is a place, and I'm not sure of the name, that makes reproduction PPG Interceptor rolling chassis's for sale to the publiuc after buying the rights. They have a website on the internet as well and a complete car sells for something close to $70,000. However the engine is not a Dodge 2.2 twin turbo. I believe they stick Chevy 350's in the car instead much like any other kit type car. The coolest thing would be to buy a rolling chassis and throw a good old Dodge 2.2 liter Turbo II engine in it modified to make 300 hp or more. Thats about all I know of the PPG Interceptor.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:45 AM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Word, the PPG interceptor was bad ass in that movie.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:50 AM
It's Go-Time.

The Wraith is on the Space Channel right now...
Old 07-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is an AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
it looks like a fiero ferrari.

seems strange that they use PPG for part of the vehicle name. they make excellent products btw, it's all i use.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that the movie where Mr Sheen came back as another guy to hit on his dead brothers girlfriend and then rode around driving people off the road killing them?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Sort of, he was the dead guy so technically it was his girl.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

I always liked that movie because I used to be a big MOPAR fan.

I picked it up on DVD a few months back at Circuit City for like 6-bucks.
Shortly thereafter it went out of production and there were idiots on EBAY paying upwards of 100 bucks for it.
It’s got some minor NUDE scenes that were never shown on the TV version.
Things have settled down a bit, but it still sells for 20-25 bucks.

Shawn S
Old 07-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert
Sort of, he was the dead guy so technically it was his girl.
Thats right. That really was a great movie.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

yeah, that movie was awesome.....I loved the parts when they were going to but the digital radio killer in the engine and the rear opened up and had that space aged look...."PACCARD...GET A LOAD OF THIS.."

Also when he dropped off the car at his brothers burger joint....the night shot of the car was smmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooth
Old 07-07-2003, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

that movie was filmed in Tucson, AZ- in the same area where that huge wildfire is burning right now
Old 07-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I love that movie.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Anybody remember the movie "The Last Chase"

917-10 Porsche race car, Lee Majors, and an F-86 Sabre.

a future set race to Californina with big brother trying to stop him.

That movie ruled! but it's not relased on DVD only VHS which I
finally got a hold of last year.

http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/l/last-chase.html