Wow 23 WHP and 24 lbft from UR pulleys on AV6 (with CAI)!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 05:25 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow 23 WHP and 24 lbft from UR pulleys on AV6 (with CAI)!

Very Impressive results from UR pullyes...

Here the numbers:

STOCK HP = 150
WITH UR PULLIES = 173

STOCK TORQUE = 141.9
WITH UR PULLIES = 165.8

Here is the link:

http://www.v6accord.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=4
Old 05-16-2002, 05:36 PM
4dr & I like it that way

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what makes these pullies 10x better then the AEM ones?
Do they fit our cars as well?
Old 05-16-2002, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I am skeptical about those numbers. How much does an intake add to the wheels?
Old 05-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Well that accord engine isn't exactly tuned so i guess its possible. Remember comptech exhaust gives accords 10hp so it's possible.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:55 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
Well that accord engine isn't exactly tuned so i guess its possible. Remember comptech exhaust gives accords 10hp so it's possible.
Very good point, but remember this dude had a new crank pulley put in on his car. The thing is, a new crank pulley might mess up the harmonic resonance w/in the engine so you have to be careful. AEM on the other hand doesn't mess w/the crank pulley and leaves it stock. I know the person on av6.com so hopefully i'll have a chance to drive his car w/in a few weeks

p.s. I think my friend from av6.com would have had higher #s because he is running on some heave ass chrome rims lol
Old 05-16-2002, 06:14 PM
Nex
Intermediate

I thought the crank pulleys were a problem only on the 4bangers, and not the V6's? Something to do with the inherent balance of the engine of the V6s?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

OMG holly shizznet. there comes my next mod. forget the mm or mmII im getting UR pulley/crank set.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

NOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it!!! Aftermarket pullies aren't balanced and are not meant for daily driving. You will do damage to the engine, leak oil etc., AEM and Unothrodox will tell you that these things are for race application only. Alternator pully is one thing but don't foq with the crank pully.

Nitrotiger has some experience with this so hopefully he will read this thread and share his knowledge.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Zapata
NOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it!!! Aftermarket pullies aren't balanced and are not meant for daily driving. You will do damage to the engine, leak oil etc., AEM and Unothrodox will tell you that these things are for race application only. Alternator pully is one thing but don't foq with the crank pully.

Nitrotiger has some experience with this so hopefully he will read this thread and share his knowledge.
I agree. I've heard nothing but negativity about pulleys. IMHO, the AEM one's are really worth a damn. :o

Those HP #'s are ridiculous on the UR"s!
Old 05-16-2002, 08:30 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

I'm a little skeptical here... does anyone know what the CAI added to this number?? Is there a dyno of an AV6 w/CAI only??

I hope it's true, but find it a little hard to believe...

DOM
Old 05-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Originally posted by Nex
I thought the crank pulleys were a problem only on the 4bangers, and not the V6's? Something to do with the inherent balance of the engine of the V6s?
Like the tech-guru Zapata said , the crank pulleys are unbalanced and would affect the harmonic resonance in any type of car regardless of # of cylinders. However, crank pulleys (aftermarket ones) have an even more adverse affect on inline engines (i.e. BMW straight 6 cyl. engines) then on v6, but v6s are usually affected eventually.

However, I remember someone posting on the maxima forums that most maxima owners who have had UR pulleys haven't had any problems and have either seen no gains or big gains. The safe bet would be change all the pulleys but the crank IMO.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Banned

First of all...I need the Honda V6 gurus to educate me. Does the stock crank pulley also serve as the harmonic balancer or just a vibration dampener.

Second of all, I must say I am pretty skeptical that pulleys gave this much of a gain. I'd like to see more details such as correction factors on the two runs and whther they were at the same dyno, etc.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:34 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

hey PULL_T real quick, but when is ur s/c going in and how fast do u expect to so the 2/4 w/it? Anyways, good luck w/it
Old 05-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by unsure

Like the tech-guru Zapata said , the crank pulleys are unbalanced and would affect the harmonic resonance in any type of car regardless of # of cylinders. However, crank pulleys (aftermarket ones) have an even more adverse affect on inline engines (i.e. BMW straight 6 cyl. engines) then on v6, but v6s are usually affected eventually.

However, I remember someone posting on the maxima forums that most maxima owners who have had UR pulleys haven't had any problems and have either seen no gains or big gains. The safe bet would be change all the pulleys but the crank IMO.

Oh thanks for the compliment but i must say my mentors and gurus are Scalbert, EricL, Nitrotiger, Xenon7 and the rest of the wrench heads. I waiting for one of them to address this issue.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Ok, I'll bite.

. . .real quick, Save the money! Every heard the expression
"the gift that keeps on giving" well, this is the gift that keeps on giving headaches in some cases.

Underdrive pullies are really made for specific short time uses, i.e. the track, not as daily driver applications. AEM has designed their pullies within a reasonable tolerance, but yeild little gains as we have seen. The main problem still exist with the alternator turning slower, it won't be able to produce the current needed to keep the battery charged when running at idle. Not good for city people!

Changing the crank pulley might have negitive effects over time with pre-mature bearing wear. Also the pulley metal thickness is less on some of the manufactures than stock which would present balancing issues if not installed with the right gauges.
and checked periodically.

I don't want to beat this thing to badly with the negitives. I know there has been many discussions and for certain setups, it has it's place. IMO I would drop the money into something that really has some benefit. ex. Suspension, tires

Any other thoughts?

Old 05-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Originally posted by xenon7
Ok, I'll bite.

. . .real quick, Save the money! Every heard the expression
"the gift that keeps on giving" well, this is the gift that keeps on giving headaches in some cases.

Underdrive pullies are really made for specific short time uses, i.e. the track, not as daily driver applications. AEM has designed their pullies within a reasonable tolerance, but yeild little gains as we have seen. The main problem still exist with the alternator turning slower, it won't be able to produce the current needed to keep the battery charged when running at idle. Not good for city people!

Changing the crank pulley might have negitive effects over time with pre-mature bearing wear. Also the pulley metal thickness is less on some of the manufactures than stock which would present balancing issues if not installed with the right gauges.
and checked periodically.

I don't want to beat this thing to badly with the negitives. I know there has been many discussions and for certain setups, it has it's place. IMO I would drop the money into something that really has some benefit. ex. Suspension, tires

Any other thoughts?