Would you buy a 3.2 CL today if you didn't own one? Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a 3.2 CL today if you didn't own one? Help me decide!

I am in the market for a 3.2 CL. I really like them and think it is the best bang for the buck car in my price range. I have two major concerns however:

1. The tranny. Obviously it's fixed under warranty till 7/100k but do I really want to get involved w/ it?

2. Gas MPG. I've read a lot of threads from CL owners and the MPG is all over the place. Some people can't break the 20mpg mark, others are averaging 28mpg w/ mixed city driving. With premium gas prices at $3/gallon it's a tough decision. If I can average 24 mpg I would be happy. My commute is 30miles round trip w/ a 50/50 city/highway mix.

I'm currently driving a 5.9L R/T Dakota getting about 12 mpg so any improvement would be great, but if i have the chance to get into a car that will get 28mpg on average w/ regular gas it could save me a lot of money.

I'm torn between an 01 CL type S w/ 58k or an 01 Accord EX V6 w/ leather and 49k. Both cars are the same price and same color combo. I love them both but the CL has a whole lot more to offer are far as luxury and performance go. However the Accord will yield better MPG's with cheaper gas.....ahh the decisions....

Thanks for any input on this,

Steve
Old 08-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
NO. If I had to do it again, I would not buy it. Can't afford to get another car either...
Do I like the way car looks/drives/comfort? YES
But I had had so many problems before warranty was over, and now I am out of warranty and the problems continue..... and everything is expensive to fix....
reliability sucks.... not even mentioning the transmission...
So due to realibility issues I would never buy it.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I would only recommend the 03 6 Speed version, who wants to worry about faulty transmissions. Gas mileage will probably average almost double over your truck, but not 28mpg, maybe average 20-25.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Unfortunately my budget limits me to this 01 CLS w/ the AT. I found a great deal and I'm thinking if things don't work out I can always sell it and at least break even. I always make bad decisions on cars tho b/c I get attached and make the "impulsive" move and not the "smart" one.

Still undecided....
Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Another thing is the Honda Accord has the same faulty transmission I believe. Well probably not the same exact transmission but a faulty one w/ the same extended warranty.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Well it's good that you are researching what you want. The CLS is a great car, and I find it extremely reliable. I have driven 5 or 6 Acuras, and had 2 03 CLS (6 speed versions). I prefer shifting!
THe auto tranny is covered up to 100k miles by Acura. CHeck on service work the car has gotten, or have the tranny checked at a dealer.
Otherwise IMO the CLS is a very reliable car and packed with goodies! I prefer it over the more common Accords.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Big up ya self, BO!

Uh, russianDude, sounds like you got a lemon. I've owned my 01' CL-S for two years now, and the only problem I've had was the transmission recall. I've taken my Acura on two 2,00 0 mile trips and she still purrs like a kitten.

I've been very satisfied with my CL-S and I think anyone who wouldn't recommend this car is simply expressing their boredom with it over time (or having the bad luck of getting one w/ a lot of problems). As with any car you buy, you get excited at first, then after a few years you get used to it, then when it eventually starts to show its age, you start to feel the urge to buy something new and different.

As far as deciding between the Accord or the CL-S, I'd say bite the gas bullet and get the type S. You'll only be paying a couple dollars more per tank, but the gratification of having the extra power and amenities far outweighs that. You'll definitely get better gas mileage than your truck.

I have good memories in every car I've owned (including an Accord, a Maxima, and my CL-S). Buy the CL-S and you won't be disappointed.

P.S.-if the tranny gives you so many worries, look hard for a 6-speed, if it's in your price range
Old 08-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Big up ya self, BO!

whoops, some more people posted while I was typing. Ignore the P.S.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

I have owned 01 ClS for 3 months now and regret having made the purchase.

It is quick but the auto tranny seems to be in a perpetual hunt for a gear change at low speeds. I absolutely hate sitting suv high in this rice burner. Ride is too stiff also.

I traded a 96 Maxima in for this car and the Maxima rode better and had a far superior feeling tranny. To be fair the CLS has a much stronger motor.

I looked at the Accord and thought the styling was superior but liked the manumatic in the CL.

Bottom line is I am going to look into trading the CL in for a new V6 Eclipse.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

I like this car alot, but if i had to do my car purchase all over again, i would get a 350z.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got a 03 6spd and I still love the car (even after having it for 2 1/2 years)...

I've got a similiar commute (about 50 miles per day) and average over 21mpg, but I've got a leadfoot. I can get better mpg if I drive like a grandpa, but what fun is that
Old 08-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Cruisin'

can i check at the dealer what kind of service was done to the car? Will they give me that info by just supplying the VIN?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:56 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fireberd350
can i check at the dealer what kind of service was done to the car? Will they give me that info by just supplying the VIN?
if you ask the dealer that serviced the car, then yes. all dealers have their own databases.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Advanced

I own a 03 6MT with nav and absolutely love it. I was looking at a 01 maxima SE anniversary ed. a 03 Toyota Solara v6. an 03 AT cl-S and the 03 anthracite 6mt nav I own now. The at was very nice aswell and even cheaper than the 6mt but after driving all those and even an 02 maxima 5mt SE and the ride was exactly what I was looking for with the CL. It is a little stiff if you are looking for a soft ride but I look at it as less stiff and more responsive. It is not nearly as stiff or uncomfortable as my roomates 03 RSX-S on the freeway yet it doesnt feel bouncy or sluggish in any way.

If I had a choice of making the call again I would do it in a heartbeat. If the 6mt was not available I still would have gone for the AT model that was at the dealer also. The dealer reassured me anythign with the tran would be covered and that they had just done the recall on it. I also trusetd the acura dealer in ABQ alot more than the other places I was looking. Sorry for the long drawn out answer but I would never look back. The 6MT is soo the way to go though if you can hold out. I was ready to get the AT model but decided to wait a bit and keep looking. I got lucky and the next week the 6MT came in and was sold within the day to me.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:51 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

I love the car, can't say enough about it. I average 28.4mpg in my turbocharged CL, but that's mostly road trips... best of 32.7mpg.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
I absolutely hate sitting suv high in this rice burner.
Wow. I can't believe you just called it a rice burner....

If I could do it all over again, I would but differently.

1) I would've bought the '03 6spd w/Navi. That is my only regret about purchasing the car.

2) I have an '01 Type S AT with 51K miles on it, original tranny, no problems to date. (I have a tendency of driving it like I stole it too) It does not "hunt" for gears at low speeds.

3) It's alot of fun to drive now that it's lowered. It handles better and rides firmer.

4) I have had my share of trips to the Stealership's Idiot department. However, the main reason I spend a lot of time there is because when they work on one thing, they fuck up another thing. So therefore, I'm constantly having to go back so they can fix what they broke.

5) Every has an Accord. I see 8 of them right now outside my office window. Sometimes I go days without seeing another car like mine. I love that. Its one of my favorite things about the CL-S.

6) I get on average (and I check it at every fill up) about 24.7 mpg. Like I said though, I have a tendency of driving it like I stole it. I recetly took a trip through southern Colorado and averaged almost 34mpg. Not bad for a big ass car with 260hp IMO!

7) Compliments. I get compliments everytime some gets in my car. Not to mention compliments from people that just look at it.

Do what makes you happy but I love mine!

PS: It's not a "rice burner" with a fart can on the back!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
my problem is the reliability. Otherwise I love how it looks and drives.
What I don't like is to seat in a waiting room at the dealer $$$ :rolleyes.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Cruisin'

im confident this is the car for me. i know someone in sales at an acura dealer so if i ever had any trouble he could probably give the word to the service dept and i could get extra care.

I would love to get a 03 6 spd w/ navi but that is not in my budget, im trying to save for a house so im trying to be as efficient as possible. I was planning on getting an 8k accord or civic so this CL is a stretch already.

Thanks for all the honest responses so far.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm Back One MO' Gin

If I could do it all over again,Yes I would buy a CLS but it would be a 03'' 6 speed,I've had my 01'' for over a year and have had no major problems so far,and now that she sittin on 19's I love her even more!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Relax!

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
Bottom line is I am going to look into trading the CL in for a new V6 Eclipse.

Wow, there goes all your credibility....
Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Pro

great car. i've had mine for 2 years now, and just came back from a 900 mile road trip. i don't think i couldve made it in any other car. i still love my car and don't regret getting it one bit, despite the fact that i see everybody and their mothers driving around g35c and 350z's or whatnot. it's a great car, just that many people have a tendency to underrate it.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by 6MTpromises
Wow, there goes all your credibility....
Old 08-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Instructor

don't waste your money. i have the 6 M/T and it sucks. i also have a '97 dak but w/ the v6 & M/T. the dak is a much better car. it drives better, it handles better, it looks better, it has much higher quality, much more reliable, much better features, and isn't a pain in the ass to drive.

if you want a coupe look for a used accord 4 banger w/ a 5 speed M/T. the 6 speeds suck. the 4 is quicker than the shitty acura v6 anyway. you can rev the accord 4 banger & it MOVES. the accord also has more features, much better quality, is reliable, and is way more fun to drive than the shitty cl. you'll save money on gas, the price of the car, insurance, have less deprecieation, and have a way better car to boot.

good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Relax!

Originally Posted by carquest
don't waste your money. i have the 6 M/T and it sucks. i also have a '97 dak but w/ the v6 & M/T. the dak is a much better car. it drives better, it handles better, it looks better, it has much higher quality, much more reliable, much better features, and isn't a pain in the ass to drive.

if you want a coupe look for a used accord 4 banger w/ a 5 speed M/T. the 6 speeds suck. the 4 is quicker than the shitty acura v6 anyway. you can rev the accord 4 banger & it MOVES. the accord also has more features, much better quality, is reliable, and is way more fun to drive than the shitty cl. you'll save money on gas, the price of the car, insurance, have less deprecieation, and have a way better car to boot.

good luck.

you are either funny as shit or the most retarded person ive never met
Old 08-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

What the hell was Carquest's post all about?

Anyways, I've had my CLS-6 for 4/5 months now and I have mixed feelings about it. Bang for buck, this car kicks ass, as you can't get any other car with the same features for the same price. I'm talking HID's/leather/6disc_in_dash_cd/power_everything/etc. The power is borderline too much for a FWD car, which is good . But it's missing that BMW-like suspension. It handles like the 3400lb boat that it is, oh and did I mention FWD? To make it corner proportionally as well as it accelerates, it needs to have upgrades tires and lowering springs (along with some shocks as the stock ones will eventually blow). Oh and get ready to spend money on warped rotors - it's almost inevitable. Also, depreciation is a little high for an Acura - blame that on the tranny issues.

As far as the transmission goes, keep in mind that only about 5% of them will suffer of the dreaded problem. And also keep in mind that you don't have to worry about spending $$$ to fix it because it's covered until 100K.

Bottom line: bang for buck this car still kicks ass, even with its faults and agressive depreciation. If this is the right car for you - read: if this is the car you would like to own and drive, it will treat you good, and ride you in luxury unlike any other car in its price range.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by carquest

good luck.
Umm, yeah.....
Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Had one since 3/2000 and the answer is no.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

My 01 CLS is hitting almost 70k and I've had no problems except for the SRS light coming on once and the dealer just cleared the seatbelt sensor and the squeaking and rattling (search for the DIY's, they're quite simple). I've never had problems with my tranny but I did have problems with my warped rotors which just gives you another reason to replace them with nice slotted ones. The CLS is a unique car over the common Accords you see everyday.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:03 PM
13.2 @ 104.76mph

i have over 100k and still love my car. no regrets what so ever!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

I no longer have my 01 CLS but what I can tell you is that I miss it dearly. My tranny went with 50.2k mi got that replaced under warranty. The SRS sensor went out and the passenger seat motor died other than that no problems what so ever. I loved the car liked even more once it was lowered. If I could choose to buy one again I would get the 03 CLS 6M. My only gripe is that I dont like the front end. The Road Lamps give it more char IMHO
Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Pro

Get s 6spd and you don't have to worry about the A/T thing. I am getting 20~23 mixed driving with all time A/C on, WOT few times per tank, too!

Since the CL depreciates more compare the entire Acura line, you can get a used one in a decent price.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Some peeps are missing the boat here... he clearly stated that a CLS-6 is not in his budget and he'd have to settle for an 01 CLS.

That said, everyone's kind of right... might as well dish out the extra coin to get the better product from the beginning - that way you avoid any regrets later down the road.

If you play your cards right, you can finance it so that your payments are the same on an 03 CLS-6 as they would be on an 01 CLS. Just that your loan will take longer to pay off and you may end up paying more in interest at the end of the financing.

Either way, good luck! They're not perfect, but they're still pretty damn good cars!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Registered Type-S Owner

i'll still buy type-s again if i have to, i'm driving 01 type-s and my only problem was the transmission recall that happened like after 50k on the odometer, so other than that, i should say it's pretty reliable, i thought about buying honda accord coupe before i got my type-s, but accords are too common and no xenon headlights in accord
i like xenons, they are cool~~
go for type-s~
Old 08-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Intermediate

Used cars can be tricky no matter what you buy. I like the smooth driving style of the CLS and the trunk room. But if I had to do it again I would buy a blue or red one. Black it too dam hot in the summer and shows every little mark.

Someone mentioned the Mitsu Eclipse ??? Sit in one and you'll see the quality is just not there yet. Give them a few more years. My
Old 08-26-2005, 04:19 AM
Intermediate

I got a 2001 Cl-S, no regrets! Like everyone else has said, for that kind of price you can't ask for much more. I've had ZERO problems with mine. And keep in mind you're competing with with BMW's (325 ci) and Benz's (clk 320) for what...$20,000 cheaper?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Advanced

I drive a 2003 CL-S 6MT and to be honest it was not my first choice. It's a great car and for the money it feels like a good value. I wanted a more sporty car with RWD but I couldn't afford a G35 Coupe with 6MT. I'm not sure if you like RWD better but the G35 feels nicely balanced, kinda grips better accelerating in a corner than not. I'm sure how much smaller the car is but it does look smaller and feels smaller inside.

After I did some research and driving in the CL-S (After I bought the car) I found out that it feels pretty good for a big FF. You just need to do some groundwork on it but with that I'd say you can keep up on a track with a stockish ITR. (FYI the CL-S and ITR have the same wieght distribution too). We won't be able to out corner and ITR but definately pull harder.
That's how it turned out in GT4 if you trust that.

I havn't done that yet on the track, maybe next year. =)
Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Cruisin'

Great responses here guys. I'm going to check it out early next week w/ check in hand and maybe drive it home. The rotor issue is a concern as well. I have access to a lift and usually do all the work on my own cars. How much to those drilled/slotted rotors go for? Do you need to get new pads or calipers to accompany them too?

Thanks again, Steve
Old 08-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Steve if I were to buy another CL is definitely has to a 6 spd, as stated by you post if you can budget it that would be the way to go. I sold my CL with 58,000 for a G35 6spd. I loved the car the way I had it, but with recent price drops, and the constant tranny, it just wasn't for me once the dealer gave me the trade in I wanted. In short, if you plan on keeping her for a while, then go for it. If its something quick, then I would definitely get the 6 spd.

In regards to pad and rotors, I had bought roto-tech cross drilled / slotted rotors F/R, and HP Pads. I liked the HP since they bite like no tomorrow. Have to look up the cost of what I paid.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:37 AM
I Heart 6 Gears.

yea i like this car. especially when its boosted.. but godd what are these rotors made of plastic?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Patriots Fan for Life

I've had my '01 CL-S for 2 months now and I love it! No regrets!! Our cars aren't common and so it's a definite head turner. I traded in my Accord Coupe V6 for my CL-S and it was a huge upgrade. It's the subtle differences that make the world of differences. Like someone earlier in the thread said...the Bang for the Buck kicks A$$!! Go for the CL-S!!!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 3.2 CL today if you didn't own one? Help me decide!