It would be nice if...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be nice if...

the "best" agreed upon install instructions for the Comptech Icebox CAI were posted in the FAQ or as a "sticky" Its tough to determine what is the best way to install the CAI, by wading through the dozens of posts on the subject! I think I am more confused now then if I had just gone at it with the CT instructions ! I can't decide/tell if I should take the bumper off, partly take the bumper off, take the wheel off, turn the wheel, jake the car up, etc.. etc..

Well, I am about to go install my Icebox and am hoping to do it in under 2 hours
Old 08-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 631 Likes on 280 Posts
let us know which method works, and we'll add it to the FAQ
Old 08-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hah!

Well, being that it took me an entire day to install the Icebox... I will leave that up to someone else! I will however post a few comments.

The Comptech instructions for a 2003 6 Speed are HORRIBLE!! Steps were missing, completely unclear, and a bolt was missing! I am gonna post some exact comments on the CT instructions PDF and post here tomorrow!

Has anyone had a problem fitting the top of the main box which holds the filter to the bottom part? There are 2 screws in the back part and one up front. There is a small gap (1/8 - 1/4 ") on my icebox which made it very difficult to get the cover of the icebox secured to the bottom! Has anyone else had this problem?

I could not for the life of me get the "nub" on the end of the filter to seat in the groove. It did not seam possible to get it to fit in there properly!

I was concerned about cutting the factory plastic cover piece, as I did not want to modify the original parts. I followed someones instructions to score the back of the part and then bend it, which cleanly broke it all the way through. This is the exact method as cutting sheetrock if you are familiar with that. The piece looks perfect and original if you just follow the existing lines.

The Comptech instructions reference using the ground bolt to install the bracket for the icebox. Well, apparently the ground wire is in a different location on the '03 6 speed, which meant that I had to find a ride to the hardware store and buy an extra bolt. This took me a good half hour just to realize that something was missing!

I did not end up taking off the bumper or the wheel. I just removed the 2 bolts holding the driver side bumper on and was then able to bend back the inner wheel well splash guard and get my hands in there to remove the stock resonator? It was tough to get one of the bolts out, and I had to have someone else hold out the bumper a couple of inches to get my hands in there. I used a small 1/4 ratchet with an extension.

Overall nothing was very hard. Just the fact that I tried to follow Comptechs instructions TOTALLY screwed me up and cost me hours of extra labor and time trying to figure stuff out!