Would a bent rim cause warped rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 01:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a bent rim cause warped rotors???

A couple of months ago I hit a pot hole which bent my right rim. At the time I wasn't sure if it was bent. I thought the wheel had gone off balance. I recently took the car in and the dealer said the rim was bent. Long story short, the dealer rotated the wheel to the left rear of the car, but told me that it would have to be replaced. Well, now when I brake at highway speeds the wheel shakes. Could this be from the bent rim or possibly warped rotors caused by the bent rim???

I'm getting the rim replaced this Friday so we'll see. I hope my rotors aren't bent. Could that possibly covered under warranty on a 9K mile car??

Old 06-07-2001, 02:06 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It may as well be, depending on the impact you took....most likely it is because our rotors are not that great to begin with....They will machine your rotors under warrenty, but good luck getting new ones

------------------
--> RUVZ
2001 3.2CL Type S - Satin Silver - Polarg M6 roadlamps
Old 06-08-2001, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

I recently had both front rotors replaced by the Acura dealer under warranty during my 15k service. They wanted to turn the rotors, but I told them that was not acceptable, the service manager said OK. I believe the cause of both rotors warping was over torquing the lug nuts when I had tires rotated at 7.5k service, service dude agreed.

01 CL-S STOCK Silver
Old 06-08-2001, 10:23 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is unlikely that a bent rim can cause rotor warpage but overtorquing the wheel fasteners can cause a problem.The most common cause for rotor problems is usually driving style followed by brake pads that re too hard.Currently Acura has brought into service a different compound brake pad designed to hopefully solve the problems.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 06-08-2001, 11:23 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Jens,
What is the best way to get my dealership to buy into my drama, which is, since day one, my rotors were bent, because the car was delievered before leaving for my dealership, it had 53 "HARD TEST DRIVE" miles on it. OK, I took the chance and bought it, but the brakes just SUCK ! Now, 28,000 miles later, it really is annoying and I don't know how to present my case ! Any advise, please email to me at : fabvsix@home.com

Say hello to Wayne and hope you guys meet is worthwhile !
Thanks!

------------------
"We're spoiled rotten"
Waiting for 6 speed manual CLS !
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, Comptech Sway Bars,Kyocera Smartphone/Palm powered otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 06-09-2001, 12:11 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well if your dealer is uncooperative try contacting customer relations directly at Acura and see if you can get somewhere.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on