Will TL-S kill CL sales?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will TL-S kill CL sales?

This time last year when we were awaiting the 01 CL, conventional wisdom was that there wouldn't be a TL-S because it would eat into CL sales. Coupes usually sell less than sedans because they're less practical. A lot of people weighed 225HP and 4 doors against 260HP and 2 doors and decided that the extra HP and stiffer suspension was worth a couple of doors. But now that they don't have to make the choice I think the CL sales are going to drop. Is Acura eating they're own? Or do they have something in store for the CL to make it unique again? A 6 speed manual would be a good start.
Old 01-07-2001, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i doubt it will make a big impact...most cl sales are the premium model with no more horsepower than the current tl.

i'm sure there are a few who chose the cl-s over a tl for the hp, but it's only a small percentage that wouldn't "kill" cl-s sales.

[This message has been edited by mrdeeno (edited 01-07-2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 06:00 PM
Powered By HONDA

no..i do not think so..casue some people like 4 doors car and some like two..i want to buy a cl premium only at the very first beginning..i like two door car..but my wife said..two thousand more can have a whole lot better equipment..so we bought the type s model..so not to worry about the tl-s// it will still has its market..some one does not like coupe..i might bought a tl-s my next car..if i have money or a mdx..hopefully

------------------
Red CL Type S.
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN
Old 01-07-2001, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

it's analogous to 3-series coupe and sedans...sales of the coupe are way lower than the sedan, but that's expected, and those pretty much have always had the same power.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

So, i keep hearing people talk about a TL type S. When is this suppose to comeout
Old 01-07-2001, 08:11 PM
Race Director

Exactly which CL sales are we referring to?

[sarcasm]God forbid Acura does something stupid to interrupt that huge steady flow of CL sales that have been going on lately. [/sarcasm]

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-07-2001, 08:14 PM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Exactly which CL sales are we referring to?

[sarcasm]God forbid Acura does something stupid to interrupt that huge steady flow of CL sales that have been going on lately. [/sarcasm]

</font>
I'm sure those god awful commercials helped a lot with the sales...*sigh*

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!!

Former post count : 460
Old 01-07-2001, 08:54 PM

It won't hurt sales at all, and who cares if it does. I'm driving the car I like, I could care less if it sells well or not.
Old 01-07-2001, 09:04 PM
Instructor

I think the only worry people have in a drop in CL sales is that the aftermarket will find it even less appealing and forego production of performace/appearance mods. With the advent of the TL=S, we can at least have greater hope of performance mods, as far as body kits and such...we could be SOL.

------------------
2001 3.2CL-S San Marino Red/Ebony, Non-nav, Bone Stock

<A HREF="http://rrw.d2g.com" TARGET=_blank>The Red Rocket
</A>
Old 01-07-2001, 09:07 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLS ACT:
I think the only worry people have in a drop in CL sales is that the aftermarket will find it even less appealing and forego production of performace/appearance mods. With the advent of the TL=S, we can at least have greater hope of performance mods, as far as body kits and such...we could be SOL.

</font>

Ya agree with you, although I would probably never get a body kit anyways. Those always seem to be the first thing that goes to shit on a car.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-07-2001, 09:16 PM
Powered By HONDA

cool

------------------
2001 Acura Red CL Type S.
1997 Honda Civic EX.
!!!! VTEC Power !!!!
Powered by HONDA
Powered by MUGEN

typescl@yahoo.com
Old 01-07-2001, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

how can it NOT hurt cl sales? it makes complete sense that cl sales will be even lower
Old 01-07-2001, 10:21 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mr tl:
how can it NOT hurt cl sales? it makes complete sense that cl sales will be even lower</font>
I agree, but I don't really care that much. I got the car I wanted.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-07-2001, 10:23 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
how can it NOT hurt cl sales? it makes complete sense that cl sales will be even lower</font>
Only old farts want a 4 door car, the Cl is marketed towards a younger crowd. So it shouldn't hurt sales, I wouldn't buy a TL-s because I want a 2 door and that is what I got. And even if it did hurt sales, Acura is still making money. Just like the competion between the prelude and Integra. Or if you want to chew on this- did the 4 door integra GSR out sell the 2 door version?
Old 01-07-2001, 10:32 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

You know what sales are really gonna suffer?--1. IS300, GS300, BMW3 and 5 series, Maximas, and any other performance oriented sedan. It's going to be very difficult to compete with a 4 door, 260HP performance sedan costing only 33K or so. This may be a very good thing for Acura in my mind!!

------------------
Black/black CL Type S Comptech springs, headers. Soon to have Konis and Comptech sway bars. PIAA 19169, Solaris high beams. Potenza RE730's 225/45/ZR17
...And I wonder where my money goes!
Old 01-07-2001, 10:36 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:
Only old farts want a 4 door car, the Cl is marketed towards a younger crowd. So it shouldn't hurt sales, I wouldn't buy a TL-s because I want a 2 door and that is what I got.</font>
Actually, Acura's target market for the CL is the baby boomer generation. You can't go by the average age of visitors to this forum because it's not a good cross section of all CL owners. It seems to me that the average age of visitors to this forum is mid 20s to mid 30s with a few people as young as late teens and a few people over 50.

Also, I don't agree that only "old farts" want a four door car. My previous two cars were four door and I'm 25.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-07-2001, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

what is up with the tl people? they seem to have a chip on their shoulders or something.

i wanted a 2 door car (i looked at mb 430clk, solara sle, bmw 328ci, but i also looked at the tl but was leaning towards the clk until the cl-s came out).

i'm sure it'll take a few sales away from the cl, but not to the point where it's gonna kill it. otherwise they wouldn't have made a cl-p at all, but they do and they sell more of those.

i like the new cl-s commercial better than the first one...it has a better shot at the end.

but again, all the new acura commercials are a little boring (need some more near nekkid women or something).
Old 01-07-2001, 10:43 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrdeeno:
i like the new cl-s commercial better than the first one...it has a better shot at the end.

but again, all the new acura commercials are a little boring (need some more near nekkid women or something).
</font>
My take on Acura commericials is that you don't notice them until you own an Acura or are seriously considering one. (which is not a good way to advertise) I never noticed Acura commercials until I found out about the CL-S and was considering it for my next car. From that point on I would always notice an Acura commercial when it came on from the familiar "turn of the key" and engine sound. Before that I never paid attention.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-07-2001, 10:47 PM
Pro

According to Automotive Industries Online
www.ai-online.com

CL (overall) sales have been on a downward trend since it was released in May was it? This doesn't mean that it has anything to do with the TL (although TL's now outsell the Integras). Bottom line, if you like the CL, buy it, if you don't, don't buy it. It's as simple as that. As far as mods, as long as TL sales keep going up like they do more stuff will come out and TL parts seem to fit the CL's so should be no biggie.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:48 PM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TakeFlight:
a few people as young as late

</font>
HELLZ YEAH!!
==========================

I think TL-S might *DROP* the sales of the CL-S because before the TL had the S option available, you HAD to buy the CL if you wanted the speed/handling(which I did). But the TL already has a good name established for itself, and with an S model out for it, I think it would take away sales from the CL.

Who knows, maybe *I* would've gotten a TL-S...I was in the market for a 4-door(i.e. right about to buy an I30t). But I love my CL-S and wouldn't trade it for a TL-S...

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!!

Former post count : 460
Old 01-07-2001, 11:30 PM
Suzuka Master

the downward trend of the cl doesn't have much to do with the appeal of it...if you notice, tl sales exhibit the same trend.

the almighty camry and accord exhibit the same trend, as well as the civic, is300, etc, etc.

it's the industry exhibiting the trend, not just hte cl.
Old 01-07-2001, 11:55 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TypeSKid:
It won't hurt sales at all, and who cares if it does. I'm driving the car I like, I could care less if it sells well or not. </font>
So if Acura decides that the CL is not viable and discontinues it for 2002, you would be okay with that because you're driving the car you like and don't care if Acura cannot move not even another car?

Perhaps you're not understanding that when Acura can't sell a car means that the purchasing public doesn't want to buy one. Do you plan to keep your CL the rest of your life?

I for one would like to see the CL become a more popular seller, that way when I go to sell me, it will have more of something that is usually equated with sales: value.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 01-07-2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 11:59 PM
Race Director

Not to anyone who knows a little bit about Marketing and Sales.

There are no CL sales to get hurt. If a dealership moves 5 or 6 a month (low), they're gonna continue to move 5 or 6 a month even with a TL-S on the lot.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 01-08-2001, 12:03 AM
Race Director

I agree, but I don't really care that much. I got the car I wanted.
</font>
Yeah we heard TypeSKit voice the same opinion. However, most of us would prefer not to drive vehicles that Acura can't sale.

"The CL was one of the lousy selling vehicles in Acura's 15 year history...." If you saw this headline, would you be proud of your vehicle? Would you feel like you got something special?

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 01-08-2001, 12:49 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Yeah we heard TypeSKit voice the same opinion. However, most of us would prefer not to drive vehicles that Acura can't sale.

"The CL was one of the lousy selling vehicles in Acura's 15 year history...." If you saw this headline, would you be proud of your vehicle? Would you feel like you got something special?

</font>
Actually, I tend not to give a %&$* what other people think. I do agree that I'd like to see sales go up on the CL, but I never want it to become a very popular car. I like the fact that I don't see a ton of CL's around on the road. I feel like I have a more exclusive car. The fact that it isn't selling well (assuming that is the case) has more to do with marketing then it does with the quality of product that we have. So, if I were to see that headline, I wouldn't be happy but I would basically continue to enjoy what I have and feel sorry that others are missing out on it. Part of the reason I bought the CL is because I don't like going with the crowd. I thought about a BMW or a Lexus but decided that I didn't want to "be part of the crowd" and couldn't pass up on the fact that the CL-S is a great value when compared to the competition. Not to mention the 260 horses.

The thing is, I think about resale value, but I don't want that to be the determining factor when I buy a car. After I've bought the car I don't want it to be the prevailing thing on my mind. When years have passed and I'm thinking about a new car I will worry about it then. If demand for the car isn't there then so be it. I guess I won't get as much for it. I always trade in and never try to sell myself and it's not like a dealer is going to say "nope, no demand for that car so we can help you with a trade". You just won't get as much for it. I guess if you are on a really tight budget that might be a problem. Personally my feeling is if you are on a really tight budget you probably shoudn't have bought a 30k car in the first place.

I think I've strayed off the topic a bit.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-08-2001, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Personally my feeling is if you are on a really tight budget you probably shoudn't have bought a 30k car in the first place.

</font>
I agree. And I'm still wondering why people are saying this car isn't selling?!? December sales statistics from Honda showed the CL outsold the Integra. It was behind the TL (Of course) and the MDX. Gee... big shocker there Can I say this yet one more time....THE CL IS A COUPE PEOPLE!!!! COUPES DON'T SELL AS WELL AS SEDANS OR SUVS!!!! GET OVER IT!!!! THE FVCKING CAR IS SELLING FINE

Over 25,000 sales already and the car hasn't even been out a year yet. And what was Acura's target for yearly sales again? Oh... it was 25 - 30K/year. But no... the CL isn't selling very well

And just to stay semi on-topic.... will the TL-S kill CL sales?? No. Will it have an effect? Yes. Will it have a big effect? No. Why? It's a 2-door vs 4-door thing and it always will be.

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 12:45 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:

Over 25,000 sales already and the car hasn't even been out a year yet. And what was Acura's target for yearly sales again? Oh... it was 25 - 30K/year. But no... the CL isn't selling very well

And just to stay semi on-topic.... will the TL-S kill CL sales?? No. Will it have an effect? Yes. Will it have a big effect? No. Why? It's a 2-door vs 4-door thing and it always will be.
</font>
I couldn't agree with you more. Just as I stated in my last message... "assuming it isn't selling well". But, I do believe 25,000 in less than a year is pretty damn good for a coupe. Wasn't Acura's total sales for 2000 something like 140,000. If that is the right number than that means that CL sales account for 17.9% of all Acura's sold which is pretty good when you think of the TL and Integra and the late arrival, MDX.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-08-2001, 12:54 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Acura Division sales of 142,681 jumped 20.9 percent for the year, partly as a result of the introduction of the all-new award winning MDX luxury sport utility vehicle. In addition, TL sales of 67,033 were up 18.5 percent and set a new record. CL sales rose 17.7 percent for the year and RL sales increased 10.9 percent.

"The market may have slowed in the last couple of months, but 2000 was still a good year for the industry and a great year for Acura and Honda," said Dick Colliver, American Honda executive vice president. "The big winners were light trucks, especially the Odyssey and the new MDX. We expect that trend to continue in 2001 with a full year of MDX sales and the new Odyssey plant in Alabama coming on line."

Total American Honda sales of 88,035 for the month of December were up 2.7 percent on a daily sales basis. Acura Division sales of 13,577 were up 40.7 percent, setting a new record for the month, topping the former mark set in 1987.

AMERICAN HONDA VEHICLE SALES FOR DECEMBER, 2000

Month-to-Date Year-to-Date
Dec. Dec. DSR** Dec. Dec. DSR**
2000 1999 % Chg. 2000 1999 % Chg.

AMERICAN HONDA
TTL 88,035 89,172 2.7% 1,158,860 1,076,893 7.6%
Total Car
Sales 66,052 65,235 5.3% 882,055 854,670 3.2%
Total Truck
Sales 21,983 23,937 -4.5% 276,805 222,223 24.6%
IMPORT CAR
SALES 14,805 11,994 28.4% 166,114 152,000 9.3%
Honda
Division 11,773 8,946 36.9% 125,091 112,212 11.5%
Acura
Division 3,032 3,048 3.5% 41,023 39,788 3.1%
IMPORT TRUCK
SALES 7,644 10,333 -23.1% 118,477 121,623 -2.6%
Honda
Division 7,644 10,281 -22.7% 118,279 120,929 -2.2%
Acura
Division 0 52 198 694 -71.5%
DOMESTIC CAR
SALES * 51,247 53,241 0.1% 715,941 702,670 1.9%
Honda
Division 44,161 46,307 -0.8% 624,231 625,146 -0.1%
Acura
Division 7,086 6,934 6.3% 91,710 77,524 18.3%
DOMESTIC TRUCK
SALES * 14,339 13,604 9.6% 158,328 100,600 57.4%
Honda
Division 10,880 13,604 -16.8% 148,578 100,600 47.7%
Acura
Division 3,459 0 9,750 0

MODEL BREAKOUTS
BY DIVISION
Honda
Division
Total 74,458 79,138 -2.2% 1,016,179 958,887 6.0%
Accord * 33,933 31,575 11.8% 404,515 404,192 0.1%
Civic * 20,490 22,406 -4.9% 324,528 318,308 2.0%
Prelude 657 652 4.8% 9,692 11,378 -14.8%
S2000 568 599 -1.4% 6,797 3,400 99.9%
del Sol 0 1
EV-Plus 0 4 2 62 -96.8%
Insight 286 17 1649.6% 3,788 17 22182.4%
Odyssey * 9,391 11,752 -16.9% 126,705 77,801 62.9%
Passport * 1,490 1,853 -16.4% 21,892 22,974 -4.7%
CR-V 7,643 10,280 -22.7% 118,260 120,754 -2.1%
* Domestic
Vehicle
Ttl 55,041 59,911 -4.5% 772,809 725,746 6.5%
Accord 25,340 24,940 5.7% 317,483 316,339 0.4%
Civic 18,821 21,367 -8.4% 306,748 308,807 -0.7%
Passport 1,490 1,853 -16.4% 21,892 22,974 -4.7%
Odyssey 9,390 11,751 -16.9% 126,686 77,626 63.2%
Acura Division
Total 13,577 10,034 40.7% 142,681 118,006 20.9%
Integra 1,539 1,847 -13.3% 25,975 26,184 -0.8%
CL * 1,720 1,351 32.4% 24,677 20,968 17.7%
TL * 5,366 5,583 0.0% 67,033 56,556 18.5%
RL 1,485 1,174 31.6% 14,827 13,366 10.9%
NSX 8 27 -69.2% 221 238 -7.1%
MDX * 3,459 9,750
SLX 0 52 198 694 -71.5%
Selling Days 25 26 307 307

* Honda and Acura vehicles are made of domestic and global sourced parts.
** Daily Selling Rate

SOURCE American Honda Motor Co. Inc.
Old 01-08-2001, 01:50 PM
10th Gear

[QUOTE}So if Acura decides that the CL is not viable and discontinues it for 2002, you would be okay with that because you're driving the car you like and don't care if Acura cannot move not even another car?{/QUOTE}

I feel bad for the people who bought oldsmobiles the past year or so.

Old 01-08-2001, 02:46 PM
Racer

Speaking of sales....

I read that the IS-300 is dropping in value.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Someone said that it is selling for like $28k now. Is this true?

------------------
Old 01-08-2001, 03:21 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:

Total American Honda sales of 88,035 for the month of December were up 2.7 percent on a daily sales basis. Acura Division sales of 13,577 were up 40.7 percent, setting a new record for the month, topping the former mark set in 1987.
</font>
Well, I did my part in contributing to their record month of December with my CL-S purchase. Apparently it was a December to remember for Acura, not Lexus.

40.7% is pretty impressive. Obviously most of that came from the MDX, however.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 03:26 PM