Why is our car so heavy

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001 | 03:20 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Why is our car so heavy

How can it be that a four door Maxima is lighter than our car. I mean wtf is in our car's that makes it weigh so much? It's a two door coupe for christ sake!
Old 11-25-2001 | 03:40 AM
Goldmember

You?

I hope it's not your big ass. LOL Sorry, I was wondering the same thing actually. It's a bit heavy and you definitely feel it on the turns.
Old 11-25-2001 | 10:24 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

All the luxary and sound dampening stuff really adds up.
Old 11-25-2001 | 10:32 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Re: Why is our car so heavy

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
It's a two door coupe for christ sake!
so is this one
2002 Mercedes Benz CL500 Curb Weight 4,070 lb/1,845 kg

i would take a heavy car for safety over a lighter one anyday
Old 11-25-2001 | 10:52 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

good point. A heavy car is a safe car....usually.
Old 11-25-2001 | 10:53 AM
Race Director

What is all this complaining about this car, I love the fact that this car is heavy, Because of that it rides super smooth and is quiet and takes away wind noise. I love big heavy cars. One of the main reasons I got this car is because even though it is a coupe it is almost as heavy as a Mercedes or Jaguar. And that's great cause that means the car is nice and comfy.
Old 11-25-2001 | 11:53 AM
Instructor

im confused... explain to me how a heavier car is safer? it takes longer to stop, is harder to control at high speed and when you slam into a solid object ie. brick wall you do so with more force..

give me a nimble car that can avoid and accident anyday..

the main issue with this car isn't that its so heavy its that most of the weight is in the front..
Old 11-25-2001 | 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I parked side by side to a TL and the body length is the same. Even the shape is very very similar, which surprised the heck out of me.

Don't belive it.? Go park next to a TL and compare...
Old 11-25-2001 | 12:35 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by nt5k
im confused... explain to me how a heavier car is safer? it takes longer to stop, is harder to control at high speed and when you slam into a solid object ie. brick wall you do so with more force..

the main issue with this car isn't that its so heavy its that most of the weight is in the front..
Size & Weight Matters - All cars must meet US Department Of Transportation standards for crash-worthiness. Larger and heavier cars, however, are usually safer in a collision than smaller ones. In relation to their numbers on the road, small cars account for more than twice as many deaths as large cars. If a heavier vehicle collides head-on with a lighter one, the lighter vehicle and its occupants will suffer substantially more damage.

Old 11-25-2001 | 12:55 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Why is our car so heavy

Originally posted by acura_service

so is this one

OMG, yesterday I saw a brand new SL500 (the one that hasn't been released yet, 02 or 03?) on the road yesterday with dealer plates. That thing was so fucking sweet. It got on the onramp and within about 15 seconds it was in the left lane doing 85. That thing just took off....damn it looks sweet!
Old 11-25-2001 | 01:04 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
I parked side by side to a TL and the body length is the same. Even the shape is very very similar, which surprised the heck out of me.

Don't belive it.? Go park next to a TL and compare...
Did you notice stock TL is lower than stock CL? Almost 2" lower!

I wouldn't say the shape is the similar. I spent 2 hrs at my dealer looking at CLs and TLs hoping to find the two are similar enough that I could modify TL's bodykit to fit my CL. The result is negative. There is noway a TL's kit will fit on CL without MAJOR MAJOR modification.
Old 11-25-2001 | 02:53 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: Why is our car so heavy

Originally posted by bioyuki

OMG, yesterday I saw a brand new SL500 (the one that hasn't been released yet, 02 or 03?) on the road yesterday with dealer plates. That thing was so fucking sweet. It got on the onramp and within about 15 seconds it was in the left lane doing 85. That thing just took off....damn it looks sweet!
Those things are sweet, Stupid Dealer shouldn't be pushing the car but if he was pushing it he would get to 85 in about 12 seconds.
Old 11-25-2001 | 03:34 PM
www.drippinwet.com

The supercharged V8 engine in the SL 55 AMG makes it the most powerful Mercedes passenger car on the market. The new 5.5-litre powerplant develops a remarkable 350 kW/476 hp and generates maximum torque of 700 Newtonmetres as low as 2650 rpm. This level of torque is available up to 4500 rpm. The end result is awesome performance on tap at low revs and unsurpassed elasticity under acceleration in any gear. The SL 55 AMG covers the sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.7 seconds and reaches an electronically limited top speed of 250 km/h.
These imposing engine data power the new SL 55 AMG to the top of the eight-cylinder roadster segment worldwide in terms of performance and torque.

SBC electrohydraulic brakes and active suspension come as standard

Another improvement on the previous SL generation can be seen in the unique high-tech equipment fitted as standard on the new SL 500 and SL 55 AMG. This includes leading-edge driving dynamics systems - such as Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) and Active Body Control (ABC) suspension - the innovative vario-roof, new head-thorax-sidebags and xenon headlamps. Optimum comfort is provided by the automatic climate control system with its sun and pollutant sensor, memory function for the seats, steering wheel and exterior mirrors, and the Headlamp Assist light sensor. An anti-theft alarm, adap-tive accelerator pedal and infrared remote control for the vario-roof are other special features included as standard in the new Mercedes Roadster.
End of DaimlerChrysler Press Text.
The PS-figure is according to DIN-method, 0-100km/h = 0-62.1mph, 250km/h = 155.3 mph.
Old 11-25-2001 | 03:49 PM
Instructor

Size & Weight Matters - All cars must meet US Department Of Transportation standards for crash-worthiness. Larger and heavier cars, however, are usually safer in a collision than smaller ones. In relation to their numbers on the road, small cars account for more than twice as many deaths as large cars. If a heavier vehicle collides head-on with a lighter one, the lighter vehicle and its occupants will suffer substantially more damage.

i'm not talking about size.. i'm talking about pure weight.. im not disagreeing that a heavier car would hit with more force but in the case where you hit a solid object all this force comes back to you.. and in that chicago cls incident, it didn't look like the guy hit anything. (maybe im wrong) but if the cls was lighter maybe it would have been easier to control..
say we could have a 2900lbs version of the CL, this car would require less distance to stop and overall handle better, more able to avoid accidents.. but with the majority of people doing things other then driving while in cars, i guess it is up to the vehicle to save them..
Old 11-25-2001 | 03:54 PM
www.drippinwet.com

your wrong, more of the force is absorbed when the vehicle collapses a lighter car is more rigid sending the force more toward the passengers as it more less bounces off instead of crumpling
Old 11-25-2001 | 04:19 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by nt5k

would you rather crash in ferarri or a caddy? Lightwieght cars meant for performance not for protection.
Old 11-25-2001 | 06:36 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Zapata

would you rather crash in ferarri or a caddy? Lightwieght cars meant for performance not for protection.
I'd rather crash in a Ferrari. Then I could die happy.
Old 11-25-2001 | 07:28 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by SilverKnight

Did you notice stock TL is lower than stock CL? Almost 2" lower!
I never noticed this, but you're right. the overall height of a stock cl is 55.5 inches, whereas the overall height of a stock tl is 53.7 inches. however, the difference is less pronounced (less than 1 inch) when you get down to ground clearance - 6.2 inches for cl, 5.3 inches for tl.

interesting nonetheless.
Old 11-25-2001 | 09:53 PM
Intermediate

Here is a quote from the website of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the group which carries out the 40 MPH offset crash tests:

"CAUTION: The kinetic energy a vehicle must absorb in a crash test increases with vehicle weight, so barrier tests are more demanding of heavier vehicles. But people in heavier vehicles in real-world, 2-vehicle crashes typically fare better than people in lighter vehicles (in many single-vehicle crashes, weight offers no safety advantage). This is why test results shouldn't be compared among vehicles with large weight differences."
Old 11-25-2001 | 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by frederix

I'd rather crash in a Ferrari. Then I could die happy.
I'd rather not crash in a Ferrari. I'll live happier.
Old 11-26-2001 | 07:31 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by dmacneill
Here is a quote from the website of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the group which carries out the 40 MPH offset crash tests:

"CAUTION: The kinetic energy a vehicle must absorb in a crash test increases with vehicle weight, so barrier tests are more demanding of heavier vehicles. But people in heavier vehicles in real-world, 2-vehicle crashes typically fare better than people in lighter vehicles (in many single-vehicle crashes, weight offers no safety advantage). This is why test results shouldn't be compared among vehicles with large weight differences."

would you rather get into an accident win a civic si or caddy?
Old 11-26-2001 | 07:46 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Why is our car so heavy

Excellent Point !

There's more Good Points to consider about a Heavy Car as opposed to a lighter one ! Saftey being #1 !

so is this one

i would take a heavy car for safety over a lighter one anyday