This is why it's better to work on your own CL.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
This is why it's better to work on your own CL.

Not sure how many of you know, I had my tensioner bolt go on my timing belt and it led to engine failure. And yes, I had the timing belt replaced just 40k miles before this happened.. (long story, see my other thread) So I was stuck 300 miles away from home and had the Acura dealership (Precision Acura) replace the timing belt and then go ahead and fix the damaged valves, etc..

Anyways, I spent near $3,300 on everything. The first time I started my car after it was "fixed" the engine was extremely loud. The service guy tried telling me it was the injector when it was obvious it wasn't.

So to make a long story short, this has been going on for 3 months and almost 6k miles and I have taken the car back to Precision Acura three separate times and they keep doing valve adjustments and telling me it is out of spec and that they re-adjusted the valves and this will solve the problem.

Since I'm frustrated, I took it to my local Acura dealership (Spitzer Acura=awesome) and they laughed when I told them that they didn't send the heads out to be fixed, that they didn't replace any of the valve sleeves. Pretty much, they said they did very subpar work.

Now my rant is, I usually do all the work myself on my car, but the 2 things I have done.. (My first timing belt, and now this engine rebuild) they both have gone horribly wrong.

Why don't people take pride in their work anymore? So now Precision Acura wants to know what I want done and I have no idea what to tell them. Should I have them tear apart my heads again, should I ask for money back, Im so fed up with these shops.

Last edited by pits200; 03-05-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Did they resurface the heads? They could be warped.
How do they know you don't have more internal engine damage that a simple valve replacement or even a head job won't fix?
Old 03-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's exactly what I'm talking about Fuzzy, I agree completely. Im wondering if they might have overlooked something while doing the job. And they did the resurface in-house and i questioned if they had the proper equipment to fix the heads and they assured me that they did. Because when we initially talked about how the car was going to be fixed, they told me that the heads would have to be sent out and that would delay things.

They keep using the excuse that I have to expect to be getting 22mpg on the highway because my car has 200k miles on it, they also said I have to expect my engine to be loud due to the high miles. That made me livid for them to make that assumption when I was getting 30mpg prior to this incident and the fact is that the noise comes from the top end of the engine which was suppose to have been all re-done by them.

I just don't know what to do though, what would you recommend. It's kind of like sending a steak back to a chef 4 times telling them it wasn't cooked right, sooner or later, you're going to get a nice side of spit on it.

Last edited by pits200; 03-05-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
That sucks man... I'd say you're having a string of bad luck and nothing else. On the other hand, if you're capable of and have the time and tools to do those jobs yourself, go for it. I'm a little surprised that a dealership would be that irresponsible with your car especially after advising you of how poorly the other shop replaced your timing belt.

The plus side is that the dealership is asking you how to proceed. If I remember right, the shop that did your timing belt is refusing to take responsibility in over-torquing the bolt on your water pump. Have the dealership go through everything they should have replaced the first time and use all new parts. Then donkey-punch the service manager in front of his or her staff!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Haha, tell me bout it Tnobori, I'm on the verge of it. Ya, now after driving 300 miles each time (luckily it was due to work) they kept telling me that they did everything right and its only the valves, so they realize they are in the wrong after I have gone to multiple dealerships to refute their work. Its frustrating, I seem sue happy, but it's the principle of the matter and all this time wasted is almost not worth the hassle.

Let me tell you something about Acura corporate. I will not buy another Acura after this experience. I called the headquarters to file a complaint and they pretty much said they NEVER intervene with a dealership unless it is warranty work. They said I have to take it up with the shop personally because it is their workmanship. I understand that, but they fail to understand that Precision Acura represents the Acura brand name and if one of the dealerships tarnishes the reputation, then they need to step in and right the matter.

So guess what I told them, my 08tl lease is up in August 2010 and I was seriously debating getting the new ZDX, but unfortunately, Acura has lost a life-long customer because they have the worst corporate headquarters I've ever experienced.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
bc now its all about money. and techs hate comeback/warranty work bc it doesnt pay. almost like working for free.

and i always do all the work on my cars. if i cant figure it out, i ask on here. if i still cant figure it out i have a close friend thats an acura master tech and know the tl/cl/rsx/tsx/mdx like the non other. but hes my last resort.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Trust me, I wish I had the time Rajca, sometimes the time is worth the money, that's if the job is done properly. I work a ton of hours per week and travel a lot, so a job that might typically take someone like you 3 or 4 days to do in your garage would probably take me 3 or 4 weeks and that is something that I just can't deal with.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Missing my

Originally Posted by pits200
Haha, tell me bout it Tnobori, I'm on the verge of it. Ya, now after driving 300 miles each time (luckily it was due to work) they kept telling me that they did everything right and its only the valves, so they realize they are in the wrong after I have gone to multiple dealerships to refute their work. Its frustrating, I seem sue happy, but it's the principle of the matter and all this time wasted is almost not worth the hassle.

Let me tell you something about Acura corporate. I will not buy another Acura after this experience. I called the headquarters to file a complaint and they pretty much said they NEVER intervene with a dealership unless it is warranty work. They said I have to take it up with the shop personally because it is their workmanship. I understand that, but they fail to understand that Precision Acura represents the Acura brand name and if one of the dealerships tarnishes the reputation, then they need to step in and right the matter.

So guess what I told them, my 08tl lease is up in August 2010 and I was seriously debating getting the new ZDX, but unfortunately, Acura has lost a life-long customer because they have the worst corporate headquarters I've ever experienced.
I guess it depends how much you want to fight. If you remember I was battling Acura's corporate office for 2 1/2 years for my wife's MDX navi issues. I got the run around forever but eventually they came around. Maybe part of it was luck, but a large portion was persistence. They ended up paying us over $34k for a car worth half that.

I don't like to seem sue happy either, but I hate being taken advantage of. I will exhaust all options before giving up. At the same time, I understand not expending all the time and energy needed to do it right. It's exhausting!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, time and energy is exactly what it is, but they don't realize that I make a 4 to 6 hour drive every Monday and Friday for work. So when I get put on hold with customer service, I have a longgggg time to be persistent, lol. I have won many battles by hanging up with one person and just calling back over and over.

As for your MDX issue if I recall, that was warranty work that the dealership was being reimbursed for by Acura corporate. When I called, the supervisor kept telling me that they have no vested interest in this matter because it is not a warranty issue and that it is between the shop and myself. Trust me, I always ask to go up the chain of command when the person I am speaking to does not give me the answer I seek, but this was different.

The funniest part is the person asked if I wanted my case number. I just laughed at him and said, "why would I need the case number? What do I use it for? You said this issue isn't getting sent to the dealership, you said the upper level management won't do anything, what possible reason do I need this case number for" Lets just say that Jun Hung was happy to get off the phone with me.

And your comment about being taken advantage of could not resonate more with me, I truly feel the same way.

Last edited by pits200; 03-05-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Yeah if I was properly equipped with all the right tools, I'd definitely do 100% of all the maintenance and repairs on my own car (minus maybe if I get into an accident, need body work)

I know it's not an Acura, but my parents took their Chrysler Sebring to their trusted repair shop, they've been close personal friends with about 90% of the people who work there, and my parents have been taking all their vehicles there for over a decade. Anyways, they had some major work done, but they also said after it was "done" at the shop, they took it out for a drive and noticed right off the bat something was amiss. They sent it back to the repair shop, the shop says "Okay, NOW it's fixed!" but my parents still say something is wrong. This whole thing repeats close to about 4 times before my parents finally took it to a Chrysler dealership.

It turns out the first shop f'ed up pretty hard when they were doing spark plug changes and the like, so the spark plugs were apparently flooded with oil. Of course the shop insisted that wasn't their fault, but still sent my parents a coupon for "10% off your next service!"

I mean, when I hear about stories like these, it's always over a matter with the car that any 1st or 2nd year mechanic would be able to figure out. Spark plug changes, brake work, etc. I've even heard about some shops out there that can't even replace tires correctly, without messing up.

Just sad because you can't really seem to be comfortable with people working on your car anymore. I know I'm not.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
yea i got screwed of too many times up until I got my CL and now things are much smoother and cheapeerr omg
Old 03-06-2010, 04:36 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i had the tools i can do anything i want. cnc machince
Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's just baffling how companies don't care about their reputation anymore, I remember taking a business class in college and talking exactly about this topic. When a customer has a good experience at a business, they might tell 1 person about it. But if a customer has a bad experience, they tell 10 people, it's just human nature.

So the moral of the story is, 10 happy customers equal 1 bad customer when it comes to spreading word of mouth about a businesses reputation.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its not just car dealers its everything that is manufactured in this country..
That is the reason that we are not a manufacturing nation like we used to be, we want top pay to do poor work.. If you want something done right you got to do it yourself.
This is a reason that we are in debt to so many nations that produce goods. We do not make anything anymore..
Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
dealerships FTL, I refuse to go back to Baeirl for this exact reason
Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
lmfao, and you thought that dealer was the shit
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Missing my

Pits, I did have the issue under warranty, but they were still giving me that BS about not being able to do anything. They wouldn't even give me a manager to talk to! Here's what I would do. Call a few Acura dealerships and tell them you need to speak with the Area Service Manager. They will tell you that they can't connect you with him, but you may be able to leave him or her a message. Next, call back to Acura Corporate and tell them the same thing. In the meantime, file a complaint with the BBB and call a local news channel that does consumer advocacy stories. If you end up getting to speak with the Area Manager, you can tell him about all of the places you've contacted. Mention this site, the news station(s), other dealerships and the BBB.

It may take a few hours or more, but you'll probably get something out of it. These guys are conditioned to say "no" and until you become a bigger pain in their ass than they can stand, they will continue saying it. Good luck!

As for not buying another Acura, are any other brands easier to deal with? I know my dad had a huge headache dealing with Isuzu for his Trooper burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. They said that was normal!!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:46 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tnobori1
Pits, I did have the issue under warranty, but they were still giving me that BS about not being able to do anything. They wouldn't even give me a manager to talk to! Here's what I would do. Call a few Acura dealerships and tell them you need to speak with the Area Service Manager. They will tell you that they can't connect you with him, but you may be able to leave him or her a message. Next, call back to Acura Corporate and tell them the same thing. In the meantime, file a complaint with the BBB and call a local news channel that does consumer advocacy stories. If you end up getting to speak with the Area Manager, you can tell him about all of the places you've contacted. Mention this site, the news station(s), other dealerships and the BBB.

It may take a few hours or more, but you'll probably get something out of it. These guys are conditioned to say "no" and until you become a bigger pain in their ass than they can stand, they will continue saying it. Good luck!

As for not buying another Acura, are any other brands easier to deal with? I know my dad had a huge headache dealing with Isuzu for his Trooper burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. They said that was normal!!!!
LMFAO that is actually about normal for a Isuzu, they do burn more oil (plus they are not the most "sealed" motor out there; aka leaks]), then other manufacture engines, but it is designed into it though (as long as it was an isuzu engine, and not a gm motor in there, since they did use both)

but also subaru allow up to a quart being burned per a 1000 miles, so isuzu saying that would be normal
but i will say that is still a little high of a rate fror burning oil, but still normal though

Last edited by friesm2000; 03-06-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tnobori1

Man, remind me to never get on your bad side. Lol. I like your ideas but one huge thing limiting me is the distance. I know the majority of this can be done through phone calls but sometimes a physical presence in the service shop can accomplish a lot more. But as for now the dealership seems to want to figure out a way to resolve this problem, but I just wonder what else they might be doing to my car while "fixing" the problem.

Who knows if they put some brake fluid in the tranny case, or put some unfortunate tears in my axle boots. I hate to think like that, but you seriously never know.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by friesm2000
lmfao, and you thought that dealer was the shit
Eh, like the saying goes, you live and you learn. Up front they were extremely friendly but that was probably because I gave them over $3k in revenue.

And they made it seem like they were doing all this special work for me and going above and beyond while the car was being serviced. I guess I spoke to quickly.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
dealerships FTL, I refuse to go back to Baeirl for this exact reason
Fellow Pittsburgh guy, ya, Baeirl kinda sucks, I had a buddy who use to work there and said they did some shady work.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Missing my

Man, remind me to never get on your bad side. Lol. I like your ideas but one huge thing limiting me is the distance. I know the majority of this can be done through phone calls but sometimes a physical presence in the service shop can accomplish a lot more. But as for now the dealership seems to want to figure out a way to resolve this problem, but I just wonder what else they might be doing to my car while "fixing" the problem.

Who knows if they put some brake fluid in the tranny case, or put some unfortunate tears in my axle boots. I hate to think like that, but you seriously never know.
If they're smart, they're probably more afraid of you causing trouble over their shoddy work than they are concerned with revenge. Physical presence helps, but you may as well get the ball rolling. My guess is that the dealership will want to help you before you make a problem for them. Have you done any research on them? Are they reviewed anywhere online?

that is actually about normal for a Isuzu, they do burn more oil (plus they are not the most "sealed" motor out there; aka leaks]), then other manufacture engines, but it is designed into it though (as long as it was an isuzu engine, and not a gm motor in there, since they did use both)
Yeah, I guess you're right. He had an old Trooper II and I had a 1999 Rodeo that were both great SUVs, but his 99 Trooper had some problems. Oh well... it's gone now.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the resolution is going to be me buying a new engine for about $800 and telling them to install it free of charge. I wonder if they can even handle this job, thats what worries me.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

So the service manager got back to me and said he found a used head for $400 plus some other things and that they would replace the front head for no cost. I told him no because I already paid $400 in labor when the job was done the first time to have the heads decked properly. So now I paid the $400 the first time in labor and now they want me to pay another $400 to get another front head when the first one should have been handled properly.

He isn't even sure if this would fix the problem, I have no idea why he offered that when they keep telling me that the engine is loud cause its old. If they didn't think there was a problem, why are they even offering, it seems like after I took the car in there last time for the valve adjustment, they probably found out this was the real issue and don't want to accept responsibility that the job was done wrong the first time.

What are these people pulling at PRECISION ACURA... DO NOT TAKE YOUR CARS THERE.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
So the service manager got back to me and said he found a used head for $400 plus some other things and that they would replace the front head for no cost. I told him no because I already paid $400 in labor when the job was done the first time to have the heads decked properly. So now I paid the $400 the first time in labor and now they want me to pay another $400 to get another front head when the first one should have been handled properly.

He isn't even sure if this would fix the problem, I have no idea why he offered that when they keep telling me that the engine is loud cause its old. If they didn't think there was a problem, why are they even offering, it seems like after I took the car in there last time for the valve adjustment, they probably found out this was the real issue and don't want to accept responsibility that the job was done wrong the first time.

What are these people pulling at PRECISION ACURA... DO NOT TAKE YOUR CARS THERE.
They are just testing how far you will go imo. They want to do the least work possible and get the most money they can out of it. Sadly all Acura dealers Ive dealt with are like this and most shops for that matter.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

call corporate and explain to them what happened
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rajca
call corporate and explain to them what happened
Acura corporate does nothing. Seriously, I have a lot of experience going through upper management, but Acura corporate is one of the worst. I called and they said they don't do anything for issues that are cash transactions and are not warranty issues.

The workmanship is the responsibility of each shop they said and they only take a complaint call but they don't send it anywhere. It just stays in their system, it doesn't go to the dealership, it is pretty much pointless. The only time they step in is when it is warranty work because then they have a vested interest cause Acura corporate is paying the dealer.

I tried explaining that they need to care because these dealerships represent the Acura name and by them doing sub par work, it tarnishes the Acura reputation. I've owned 6 Acuras and my 08 TL lease is coming up in August, I told them that I will not be getting another Acura if they don't step in and do the right thing. But it seriously seems like there is nothing they can do, I called back 3 times to the same office and 3 different Acura reps told me all the same thing.

People in big businesses just don't care, why would the rep care if I don't buy an Acura again, it doesn't directly effect his job. So sad how the working man's mentality is sometimes.

Last edited by pits200; 03-08-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Tnobori, you'd be happy to hear that I got a call from the service manager this morning and said that the owner wants to have a sit down meeting with me, so next Tuesday, I am going to have a face to face with the owner of Precision Acura.

Now the part I know you'll like. If you're wondering how I did this, I have to thank the digital age. Precision Acura has a facebook site which I visited and saw a picture of the owner on the page. After I clicked on his picture I noticed that he had a facebook page himself. So I decided to add him as a friend and leave a brief message as to my incident with his dealership. (I was very friendly and apologized for using a personal outlet as a means of contact but I had no other choice due to the poor service from his dealership.)

So I sent this message last night around 8:30pm and sure enough, I received the call from the service manager around 10a.m today.

Gotta love having people higher up on the totem pole throw their weight around and make the people under them get into gear.

So next Tuesday is our meeting and obviously they are still going to want to hear what I want as a solution but I still have no specific idea besides saying "I want my car to be fixed properly"

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

just tell them fix it right this time since u couldnt fix it right the previous times i brought my car in. and im not paying anything bc i payed before and it didnt solve the problem.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Missing my

Tnobori, you'd be happy to hear that I got a call from the service manager this morning and said that the owner wants to have a sit down meeting with me, so next Tuesday, I am going to have a face to face with the owner of Precision Acura.

Now the part I know you'll like. If you're wondering how I did this, I have to thank the digital age. Precision Acura has a facebook site which I visited and saw a picture of the owner on the page. After I clicked on his picture I noticed that he had a facebook page himself. So I decided to add him as a friend and leave a brief message as to my incident with his dealership. (I was very friendly and apologized for using a personal outlet as a means of contact but I had no other choice due to the poor service from his dealership.)

So I sent this message last night around 8:30pm and sure enough, I received the call from the service manager around 10a.m today.

Gotta love having people higher up on the totem pole throw their weight around and make the people under them get into gear.

So next Tuesday is our meeting and obviously they are still going to want to hear what I want as a solution but I still have no specific idea besides saying "I want my car to be fixed properly"

AWESOME!! Dude, I have no suggestions since I'm not much of a gearhead, but keep us posted on the situation! Let's hope this thread doesn't get moved to the other section like your last thread!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Check AND rebuild both of the heads and their components, to say the least.

Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Way to go Pits!
Nice to know there might be someone left who cares about your situation. Funny that it was facebook that got you a meeting. Hope you get this fixed.

I can't believe whats been happening to you in the last few months with your car. An accident, 2 bad repairs, all this run-around bullshit you've had to put up with... Damn whats next?
Hopefully a car that runs like it should/
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Those accident pics on my profile are from a year and a half ago. And you want to know the funny thing, the guy who did the body work on my car, he did a piss poor job too.

Seriously, what is going on with the American blue collar industry, they want paid top dollar for their services (like a dealership charging $125/hr for labor) when I can do the same job at home for free. The reason I bring up about being able to do the job at home is because paying that high a rate for labor is suppose to be something specialized where an average person can't fathom trying to do the job at hand.

And now to mix that with the fact that they charge you that much and still can't do it right is a double whammy.

But either way, thanks for the comment and if you'd like to take some of my car bad luck from me feel free, there is plenty to go around. lol
Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, let me ask another question to the engine gurus. What do you guys think the problem even is? The engine has very very loud ticking noises and obviously they've adjusted the valves a bunch of times and that isn't the issue. My car doesn't throw any codes, but I get bad gas mileage like 24mpg on the highway when I use to get closer to 30. My compression is low on all cylinders but they are all within the 10% tolerance from one another.

Is the problem that they didn't deck the heads right cause they did it in house without the right tools? Is it valve chatter from some of the valve guides being screwed up and stretched out? Did they not seat the valves properly? Is that from cam wear and my car having 200k? What causes a noise like in the video below besides the valves being out of adjustment?

I have no guessing as to what it is since Ive never torn this engine apart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-W_6UC3_Xs
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Ur valves could be slightly bent, making noise bc its not seating right on the valve face, which can cause slight leakage when doing the comression test and cause bad gas mileage bc some of the air/gas is escaping past the face. Just my suggestion. But tell them to take off the head and u want to see that none of the pistons are damaged. Also for them to take out every valve and make sure that none of them are bent. Any that are bent, replace them their like $7-15 a piece and replace the valve guides/seals.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ya, I was wondering if some were still bent, they said they changed like 6 exhaust valves. None of the valves seats or guides were changed, should this be something that is a given and should have been done?

But as for having more bent valves, wouldn't my car be throwing codes and the engine light be on?? Oh ya, also, what am I looking for if the piston is damaged? I mean, is it a gash from the valve hitting it?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Fellow Pittsburgh guy, ya, Baeirl kinda sucks, I had a buddy who use to work there and said they did some shady work.
I almost died twice thanks to Baeirl doing shady work on my brakes, had 2 complete braking failures a few weeks apart the second time after they assured me that everything was fine yada yada. The last time I was at Baierl I told the service manager that if my brakes failed a third time, I wouldn't be able to stop pulling into their parking lot and would be forced to park my car in their show room. Needless to say he didn't like hearing that, but I also never went back there and refuse to ever go back. Even for recalls.

Glad to hear that you got ahold of the owner, that's great how you tracked him down on FB. I hope he helps you get this all resolved.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya, I was wondering if some were still bent, they said they changed like 6 exhaust valves. None of the valves seats or guides were changed, should this be something that is a given and should have been done?

But as for having more bent valves, wouldn't my car be throwing codes and the engine light be on?? Oh ya, also, what am I looking for if the piston is damaged? I mean, is it a gash from the valve hitting it?

Not necessarily. Valves that are bent on the exhaust may not throw a code. But the valves, guides, rollers and other components should have been changed at one time. A new head would have been the first place to start, then new internal components. I can give you a list of items depending on your outcome, but I agree with the previous post that the exhaust valves are bent.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

my cl has bent valves, it wont throw a code unless its been idleling for a few min. if im driving or go wot, no codes will be throw. the guides should have been replaced with the bent valves.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, it sounds like they just wanted to keep the revenue in house instead of sending the heads out to get rebuilt and in turn it turned into a poor quality job.

So when a head is typically sent out to a machine shop, you guys are saying that the guides are usually pressed out and new ones should have been put in. Is it all the guides or just the guides for the bent valves that should have been replaced? Im trying to absorb as much info as possible, so thanks for all the help.

Do you guys think the cams have anything to do with the problem since they are probably worn?

Should I have the cams changed since they are taken out?

Last edited by pits200; 03-10-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: This is why it's better to work on your own CL.