who uses there OnStar??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:10 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who uses there OnStar??

Considering that I have an 02, I dont have OnStar, but I believe that it is such a great feature! Emergency aid, directions, phone calls, etc...

Has anyone used the feature on a daily basis? is it worth the $$ ??
Old 07-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Pro

I dont but I just read in MT that they were testing a Malibu and OnStar called to see if there was a problem! Apparently, the car sends certain parameters (maybe g-loads) to Onstar thinking there may be a crash or some other problem. This is above the airbag deployment we know about. How long before they start sending speed information right to the cops.

My neighbor used it a little during the free trial but didnt subscribe. I think for a wife's car it might be good if she drives a lot in risky areas like 2 lane roads and such.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:33 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't subscribe. I hear most new car owners do not opt for it after the year free trial. I thought about getting Onstar for the phone service (analog) mine offers cause I don't have a cellphone. The CL has a built-in phone with mic and speaker in the mirror. But I found out Onstar did not set up a phone service contract in my city so, sol. and I am in a major market, who knows! I think Onstar is kinda whack. It's owned by GM. Needs some major competition. I would think XM radio and such are looking into these services.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I did not even know anyone but GM offered OnStar. Is it available in the 03 Acuras?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:35 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

GM owns it but most all carmakers offer it. I thought all Acuras with Navi had Onstar but I was wrong. My 03 CLS has it.
I wonder if they would save me if I have a bad crash and push the button to talk to them, I doubt it, they'd probably let me die!
At least I could give someone my last dying words to pass on to my loved ones. Kinda morbid but I do wonder if they would just hang up on me.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

I didn’t even use it once during the free year so I’m certainly not gonna pay 199 a year now.

I wish they had a basic plan for like 89 or 99 a year that just had the Airbag signal notification and the theft tracking if you should ever need it.
I don’t need all the other “fluff” that they try to sell you with.

Shawn S
Old 07-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use it daily, but I do use it and like it a lot.

It is overpriced though.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:58 PM

I am sure that I can not add this feature to my 02, am I correct??
Old 07-13-2004, 03:23 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Don't know, call Onstar on go online to them and ask.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:45 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I don't subscribe. I hear most new car owners do not opt for it after the year free trial. I thought about getting Onstar for the phone service (analog) mine offers cause I don't have a cellphone. The CL has a built-in phone with mic and speaker in the mirror. But I found out Onstar did not set up a phone service contract in my city so, sol. and I am in a major market, who knows! I think Onstar is kinda whack. It's owned by GM. Needs some major competition. I would think XM radio and such are looking into these services.
You are correct about the built-in mic in the rear-view mirror, but OnStar uses the CL's audio system for the speak.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Drifting

I use mine all of the time. And my subscription ends this month and I will renew. I agree with Shawn. $99 bucks would be more like it. Maybe I can negotiate with them like you can for a credit card rate.

Using the navi for guidance and using the hands free phone is great. Beats the crap out of trying to use a cell phone in one hand, a mapquest map in the other all while trying to steer and shift. Me, my boss, his boss and our department director were on our way to a meeting when my Onstar phone rang. It was our department secretary looking for Jim, the director. He had forgotton an important conference call he was supposed to be in, and he directed me to find some place with a phone so he could chime in. "Not necessary", I said.

I just dialed up the necessary number and got Jim in on his conference call. Needless to say, Jim was quite impressed. I also subscribe to only the minimum package.

And 100 minutes cost in the mid $30s last time I needed new minutes. It's nice when you can do a little extra work done while you are traveling.

BTW, if you have Onstar, just because a year or more has passed, that does NOT mean your free one year trial is up. It starts on the day you subscribe.

I've talked to Smitty more than once via Onstar.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:47 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by Slimey
I don't use it daily, but I do use it and like it a lot.

It is overpriced though.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same here!!! But the cell provider for personal calling in my area is Verison which doesn't have very good coverage. I keep finding dead spots where I live. Also, calling minutes are very expensive compared to regular cell minute pricing.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by CLASSYCLS
I am sure that I can not add this feature to my 02, am I correct??
OnStar is only in MY2003 CL and CL-S with navigation option. It was also in the TL, RL, and MDX of the same year. I'm not sure about MY2004+.

You can look at http://www.onstar.com for more information about which cars have this service and what the service is.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same here!!! But the cell provider for personal calling in my area is Verison which doesn't have very good coverage. I keep finding dead spots where I live. Also, calling minutes are very expensive compared to regular cell minute pricing.
Verizon provides my phone # also but has excellent coverage.

The OnStar in our cars is based on an analog cellular phone. I have no issue with this as it is a higher wattage car system as opposed to a handheld -- therefore better reception and clarity issues over a handheld analog phone. Also, analog (historically) had better coverage over the country then digital, but this is changing. There are only 2 providers (the A and the B) that are cellular and analog. Verizon is the genesis of the B provider. Supposedly, analog celluar will be phased out in 2007 rendering our OnStar useless. I hope that they provide an update for the hardware and software if I still have this car (which I plan too do).

I think the newer models are going to (or have already gone to) digital.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Another thing: Two months ago, my CLS6 got whacked good to the tune of about $4,000. The first thing I did was push that white activation button, and the automated operator asked for the number. I spoke 9 1 1 (Onstar repeats what you said after each digit for correctness, just like pilots read back clearances to the controllers to make sure both sides are understood.)

Within 10 seconds, I was talking to 911 and the cops were on the way.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:02 PM
boosted is best

Verizon provides my phone # also but has excellent coverage.

The OnStar in our cars is based on an analog cellular phone. I have no issue with this as it is a higher wattage car system as opposed to a handheld -- therefore better reception and clarity issues over a handheld analog phone. Also, analog (historically) had better coverage over the country then digital, but this is changing. There are only 2 providers (the A and the B) that are cellular and analog. Verizon is the genesis of the B provider. Supposedly, analog celluar will be phased out in 2007 rendering our OnStar useless. I hope that they provide an update for the hardware and software if I still have this car (which I plan too do).

I think the newer models are going to (or have already gone to) digital.
Let me clarify... the coverage area is good, but there are dead spots that have lots of static/crackling on certain roads outside of town because Verison doesn't have enough towers in the surrounding hills. I've already talked with OnStar about this and they said until Verison puts up more towers, I'll have to live with it. But overall all, it works good enough.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Shawn: You can STILL try it for free for one year, and they give you 60 free minutes for sixty days. I think you and all others who have the capability should try this free offer.

Think about this from the Onstar side. They WANT subscribers! Plus, I don't think they have any damn way of knowing the purchase date of you car when it was new. They want you to try it!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:04 PM

OnStar is only in MY2003 CL and CL-S with navigation option. It was also in the TL, RL, and MDX of the same year. I'm not sure about MY2004+.

You can look at http://www.onstar.com for more information about which cars have this service and what the service is.

thanks just emailed!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by dfreder370
Another thing: Two months ago, my CLS6 got whacked good to the tune of about $4,000. The first thing I did was push that white activation button, and the automated operator asked for the number. I spoke 9 1 1 (Onstar repeats what you said after each digit for correctness, just like pilots read back clearances to the controllers to make sure both sides are understood.)

Within 10 seconds, I was talking to 911 and the cops were on the way.
Why didn't you push the designated 'emergency' button instead? That's what it's there for -- or did you not want to talk to the OnStar operator and what Chicago's finest 911 instead?

The last OnStar magazine I got highlighted that OnStar subscribers us 911 a lot for all sorts of emergencies and as a mechism to alert the authorities for road issues (be it bad drivers or potholes). I've never pressed the 'red button' myself.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

The built-in phone system is obsolete. I am mad it is not offered in Austin, TX, a major market. Onstar told me the contract for analog here was never approved, but 200 miles away in Corpus Christi TX (a 1/3 the size of Austin) the phone service is available. am told parts of TX and FL do not get the phone service.
For 04 TL Onstar upgraded to digital phone service. If Onstar cared they would immediately offer upgrade to our already obsolete systems, boo.
I'm really rooting for competition, esp for satellite radio. XM I think is already linked up to Onstar in the new models, which give current traffic conditions somehow thru XM or Sirius.
I want my Onstar phone now! cause I don't want or have a cell phone, would be perfect for emergencies and occassional calls.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
Let me clarify... the coverage area is good, but there are dead spots that have lots of static/crackling on certain roads outside of town because Verison doesn't have enough towers in the surrounding hills. I've already talked with OnStar about this and they said until Verison puts up more towers, I'll have to live with it. But overall all, it works good enough.
It does sound like an analog reception problem.

I really wonder what OnStar plans for us after 2007.

I'm really hoping for a free hardware/software upgrade, but I'm expecting a letter in the mail that says we're shit out of luck.

Edit -- It sounds like 123456speed is already SOL for the above reasons. Bummer. They should upgrade you to digital NOW!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:08 PM
boosted is best

I've had to use the RED button a number of times to report traffic accidents or road hazards. Each time, I've gotten through a lot faster than if I used my regular cell phone.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:11 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Onstar just postmailed me a sales flyer this week, but I saw nothing new over the bad news they've already told me for services in Austin with my outdated version. I'd only subscribe to get the phone service. I will see if the first owner ever activated it.
Gonna push that button!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have yet to activate it and use the 1 year free service.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Drifting

123456: I doubt onstar would care if the first owner ever did push that button. You are the new owner, and they are looking for customers.

I had a non navi, 2003 CLS6, and my insurance was $1,013 per year. After I got my wheels custom powder coated, I decided satin silver was not gonna cut it, and decided I wanted a 2003 CLS6 in anthricite to match the wheels better. As I have nothing better to waste my money on, I decided to go full tilt boogie and get the navi and the spoiler. The suprise was my insurance lowered to $949 for a car that was almost exactly $2,950 more. If you are smart enough to know (and have INSTANT access to) your navi assigned pin number, you can give that to the cops and they can track the whereabouts of your car. Car theft rings have been busted using onstar.

Other things Onstar will do for you at no charge: lock or unlock your doors. If any airbag is deployed, you will be called, and according to them, relatively instantly. If you do not respond to their call, they will dispatch an ambulance and a tow truck (which you will most probably need if an air bag goes off.)

My only miff with onstar is there is no keypad (no * or # key.) Once you enter the number, by voice and command the system to "dial", your options are basically over. If on the other end you get voice mail, just leave a message. You cannot get to the system operator of the number you called. I consider this minor. Still, the system works very well for a first offering.

Now, if a 2004 TL owner that has the new blackberry technology could chip in, we could really all learn something. Or is it bluetooth?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:42 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Sure , I know all baout your car trade, powder coats, minor accident recently. I have the anthracite 6speed Navi too. I just told my ins co that the car was trackable cause I thought it was.
I read that the smart car thieves have figured out how to get hold of onstar pin #s and just have Onstar unlock the car so they can steal it. I'd hope Onstar has more safeguards in place to thwart thieves.
I thought the sales flyer I got in the mail would mention a free trial but it did not. They knew I was the second owner too.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
My sister's Mercedes' based "on-star" like system malfunctioned when her car was in window deep water during a flash flood about 2 years ago in clear lake, texas...glad for her cell phone and the Mexican guys who towed her car out with their truck, risking their lives and saving hers...she doesn't trust the whole system at all...cannot blame her....
Old 07-13-2004, 11:54 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
GM owns it but most all carmakers offer it. I thought all Acuras with Navi had Onstar but I was wrong. My 03 CLS has it.
I wonder if they would save me if I have a bad crash and push the button to talk to them, I doubt it, they'd probably let me die!
At least I could give someone my last dying words to pass on to my loved ones. Kinda morbid but I do wonder if they would just hang up on me.

I have heard that if you do not subscribe and your air bag deploys, they will still call you and send emergency services. It's similar to dialing 911 on a cell phone that is not registered. They cannot ignore an emergency signal if they are aware of it. Not sure if it's public good or a fear of getting sued. Either way, it helps those that don't subscribe.

I may do it for the theft recovery benefit after reading some of the comments above.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I sometimes just call them to say hello, there's usually a hot sounding chik on the other end.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dfreder370
Shawn: You can STILL try it for free for one year, and they give you 60 free minutes for sixty days. I think you and all others who have the capability should try this free offer.

Think about this from the Onstar side. They WANT subscribers! Plus, I don't think they have any damn way of knowing the purchase date of you car when it was new. They want you to try it!
Mine was set up by the dealer the day I picked up the car so I’m pretty sure my “free trial” has expired.

Shawn S
Old 07-14-2004, 05:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Allout
I have heard that if you do not subscribe and your air bag deploys, they will still call you and send emergency services. It's similar to dialing 911 on a cell phone that is not registered. They cannot ignore an emergency signal if they are aware of it. Not sure if it's public good or a fear of getting sued. Either way, it helps those that don't subscribe.
That’s interesting… I hope I don’t get to try out that theory though.

I often wonder if my car were stolen, if I could quick call them up and subscribe so they can find it.
AGAIN… I hope not to have to try this out.

Shawn S
Old 07-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Pro

the 04 TL has bluetooth .. and does NOT have onstar .. it was only on the 2003 Acuras
Old 07-14-2004, 09:45 AM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
My sister's Mercedes' based "on-star" like system malfunctioned when her car was in window deep water during a flash flood about 2 years ago in clear lake, texas...glad for her cell phone and the Mexican guys who towed her car out with their truck, risking their lives and saving hers...she doesn't trust the whole system at all...cannot blame her....
Well, can you really blame the system?? I mean, if she was in window deep water, then the I would be surprised if the systemn actually worked. Normaly anything electric and water do not mix.
Furthermore, why did she even try to cross the river??? I am by no means picking on you or your sister and am glad that she is ok. BUT, when will people learn that you CANNOT cross low water crossings when there is a chance for a flood. My local volunteer fire department has a swift water rescue team that I have been thinking about joining. EVERY time there is any kind of rain to produce a flood, they are called out to rescue someone who thought that their car could handle the foot deep rushing water.
Sorry if this offends anyone-it just pisses me off
Old 07-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ATXCLS
Well, can you really blame the system?? I mean, if she was in window deep water, then the I would be surprised if the systemn actually worked. Normaly anything electric and water do not mix.
Furthermore, why did she even try to cross the river??? I am by no means picking on you or your sister and am glad that she is ok. BUT, when will people learn that you CANNOT cross low water crossings when there is a chance for a flood. My local volunteer fire department has a swift water rescue team that I have been thinking about joining. EVERY time there is any kind of rain to produce a flood, they are called out to rescue someone who thought that their car could handle the foot deep rushing water.
My sister is a pretty smart person...the thing never did activate...even before the water got up to the windows...never did, even while the car was still running...Flash flooding is just that...in a flash...she said that as she was passing through the area the water suddenly rose up...I dont know about you but I have had this happen once when my old mustang hydroplaned and ended up in the median...there was 4 inches of water inside my car before I could get my seatblet off...it happen so quickly...so quicky that the average person doesn't have time to react, never mind if they happen to painic...she said that by the time she tried to floor the car, she could already feel the water moving the car sideways, way before the car shutoff and way before the electrical system was trashed...she also had just recently moved the area and did not know nearly as much as she does now about the Houston flooding problems...people in general just need more education about this problem...it kills many,many people...BTW don't be it is bad for yur health...
Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ATXCLS
My sister is a pretty smart person...the thing never did activate...even before the water got up to the windows...never did, even while the car was still running...Flash flooding is just that...in a flash...she said that as she was passing through the area the water suddenly rose up...I dont know about you but I have had this happen once when my old mustang hydroplaned and ended up in the median...there was 4 inches of water inside my car before I could get my seatblet off...it happen so quickly...so quicky that the average person doesn't have time to react, never mind if they happen to painic...she said that by the time she tried to floor the car, she could already feel the water moving the car sideways, way before the car shutoff and way before the electrical system was trashed...she also had just recently moved the area and did not know nearly as much as she does now about the Houston flooding problems...people in general just need more education about this problem...it kills many,many people...BTW don't be it is bad for yur health...
Old 07-14-2004, 02:04 PM

so I email onstar last night, and I just got the response, pretty quick! I asked them if I can add this to my 02 CL-S, I knew the answer already but worth a shoot!
well here it is:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail OnStar.

OnStar is unavailable to be installed as an after-market product. The OnStar system is only available as a factory-installed option. Only vehicles that have been wired electrically to be compatible with OnStar are able to have the OnStar system.

For model compatibility, please visit our website at www.OnStar.com and click on the "I WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ONSTAR" link and the click on the "Vehicle" link at the top of the page.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact the OnStar Customer Care Department at 1-888-4ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827), prompt 4, between the hours of 6am and 1am EST.

Sincerely,

OnStar Information Specialist
Old 07-14-2004, 03:05 PM
G
Bitten.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Yeah, I forget about Houston flooding. Here around our ranch, the only real problem areas are the low water crossings.
But, just a question for you, how would the car know that it was in trouble just from the flooding. I mean, isn't the onstar triggered by airbags/decelerometers(sp??) and the like??
Old 07-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I have OnStar on my new 2004 RL, but I have too not taken a full look at it. I'm just in no hurry, as I work from home 24x7, so I don't need another bill, but I probably will go for it before I head to LA for the big birthday weekend and FIRST major drive in it. I just have 726 miles on the odo....

NOW the XM satelite is DA BOMB !!!! Why bother putting in CD, Radio, Tape player etc......
Old 07-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CLASSYCLS
so I email onstar last night, and I just got the response, pretty quick! I asked them if I can add this to my 02 CL-S, I knew the answer already but worth a shoot!
well here it is:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail OnStar.

OnStar is unavailable to be installed as an after-market product. The OnStar system is only available as a factory-installed option. Only vehicles that have been wired electrically to be compatible with OnStar are able to have the OnStar system.

For model compatibility, please visit our website at www.OnStar.com and click on the "I WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ONSTAR" link and the click on the "Vehicle" link at the top of the page.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact the OnStar Customer Care Department at 1-888-4ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827), prompt 4, between the hours of 6am and 1am EST.

Sincerely,

OnStar Information Specialist
That might have been written by the same hot chick that comes over the speaker when you press the button.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Pro

I'm pretty sure they don't install Onstar in whoopdies!!! :

Quick Reply: who uses there OnStar??