Whistling sound over 55 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 01:19 AM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistling sound over 55 mph

I am getting an annoying whistling sound on the left side of the car when i go over 55 mph. sounds like the air moving over something. what can i do to fix this and where is it comign from? i want to try to fix this myself, as the nearest acura dealer is very far away. thanks.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:23 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boeing747:
I am getting an annoying whistling sound on the left side of the car when i go over 55 mph. sounds like the air moving over something. what can i do to fix this and where is it comign from? i want to try to fix this myself, as the nearest acura dealer is very far away. thanks.</font>
I had the same problem with mine as soon as I drove it off the lot. The funny thing is that when I put the springs on it seemed to stop. Other people mentioned this problem on the ha.net board but were unable to track the problem down. We know its not an issue to do with air coming inside the car. There was talk of it maybe being the mirrors.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-10-2001, 01:30 AM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
I had the same problem with mine as soon as I drove it off the lot. The funny thing is that when I put the springs on it seemed to stop. Other people mentioned this problem on the ha.net board but were unable to track the problem down. We know its not an issue to do with air coming inside the car. There was talk of it maybe being the mirrors.

</font>
I had the exact same problem with my accord. They had to replace the entire drivers side mirror to fix it.

------------------
Please have a crane drop on my car so I have to buy a new CL-S. But wait till I'm not in the car. Thanks
Old 01-10-2001, 01:37 AM
Race Director

I just turn my stereo up louder.

I have the wind noise, too.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-10-2001, 02:06 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

I had the same problem with mine as soon as I drove it off the lot. The funny thing is that when I put the springs on it seemed to stop.

</font>
You're kidding right?

Another thing your magical springs fixed?
Old 01-10-2001, 02:14 AM
Number 37

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Water Rabbit:
You're kidding right?

</font>
LOL. Didn't you get the memo??? Springs now fix engines with thrown rods as well...

------------------
Please have a crane drop on my car so I have to buy a new CL-S. But wait till I'm not in the car. Thanks
Old 01-10-2001, 02:19 AM
Drifting

You're kidding right?

</font>

I am not kidding at all. It no longer is a problem. To be honest with you they should not have used the springs they did making this car.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-10-2001, 02:22 AM
Drifting

I am not kidding at all. It no longer is a problem. To be honest with you they should not have used the springs they did making this car.

</font>
Also when I meet jsuppi from the forum, I had just bought my car and he had springs but I didn't. I asked him if he had that problem and he said no. I am assuming its the way the wind hits the crack between the mirror and the car.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S

[This message has been edited by WebToker (edited 01-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by WebToker (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey i have this problem also and it's annoying(but i usually drive with the windows down so i don't hear it)

can't track this down? installing springs fixes this? c'mon there has to be some engineers or physics people out there to give us an explanation.
Old 01-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TaxiDriver:
hey i have this problem also and it's annoying(but i usually drive with the windows down so i don't hear it)

can't track this down? installing springs fixes this? c'mon there has to be some engineers or physics people out there to give us an explanation.
</font>

Installing springs fixed it for me. I guess the only other choice would be to nag your dealer to try to fix it or see if they know what the problem is.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-10-2001, 01:39 PM
Rx Master

I have a whistling sound at over 55 but it aint from the car, its the screamin from the flowmaster exaust. OH YEH FEeel the power of Type S and VTEC.
WG

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
coilovers or springs to come soon 501+ posts makes me a freak on the old Cl page.

Old 01-10-2001, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nootch:
I had the exact same problem with my accord. They had to replace the entire drivers side mirror to fix it.

</font>
No problem with my CL-S, but my '99 Accord had the problem too. It was the mirror. There was some insulation or something like that that was apparently left out during fabrication of the mirror. I don't think they replaced the whole thing in my case, however. They just put in what was missing.
Old 01-10-2001, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

GoldTypeS has the right idea...

My mirrors don't whistle but(my hearing's probably not the greatest, though...too many live band parties in college...) you might just try folding the outside mirror back so its parallel with the door (both outside ones do this, NOT mentioned in the manuals to my knowledge) and see if it makes a difference. Tough to see cars in the left lane, however . You can also try some tape on the seams of its pivot, mount, etc.

If none of the above makes a difference you might check for under-bumper shield misalignment, etc. Wheel well liner...ditto.

There's a bunch of stuff on our cars, and others as well, that are shaped 'just so' to kill harmonics of some sort. I've even seen pieces of basically solid metal welded onto exhaust system pieces to dampen exhaust noises.

Your whistle could be a misaligned window or door seal. My experience over eons of driving has been that sounds frequently don't really come from 'where you hear them' if you get my drift. Try a strip of notebook paper between the door jamb and door gasket. If it slips thru with the same resistance all around then its probably aligned correctly.

Does the whistle sound the same from the back seat, passenger seat?

------------------
'01 Acura CL-S Black/Ebony, Nav-free
Old 01-10-2001, 03:54 PM
Adult Supervision

I don't have this. I do frequently hear a "YEEHAA" or similar sound above 85.

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-10-2001, 03:58 PM
Banned

To this day that is my number one complaint with this car. Also the people that ride in the car say they love it, but what is up with all the wind noise. Yes it is the mirrors, but more specifically it is the seam for the breakaway. You'll be amazed, but place a high speed piece of tape over that seam and not only will the whistling stop but the wind noise will be decreased by at least 50%. Try it and see what you think. Obviously you don't want to drive around with tape on your mirrors everyday, but for long trips it's worth it.
Old 01-10-2001, 05:27 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
...place a high speed piece of tape over that ...</font>
High speed tape? I can only find H rated tape

------------------
MikeS 18
'01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT
Old 01-11-2001, 01:32 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
This is the third time someone has said that the seams at the mirror are part of the wind noise problem. If it stops raining this weekend, out comes the black silicon sealant and we shall see! Will report back if it actually helps.

------------------
You can never have too much horsepower!
Old 01-11-2001, 11:22 AM
Adult Supervision

Better Solution:

Get clear bra 3M material for the mirrors only. We should be coordinated enough not to f that up. All the seams would then be gone.

------------------
MikeS 18
Old 01-11-2001, 12:09 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
Better Solution:

Get clear bra 3M material for the mirrors only. We should be coordinated enough not to f that up. All the seams would then be gone.

</font>
Sounds like a good idea.

Is there a good source for "clear 3M bra material" from the web, or is it a product commonly found in the cheesy chain autoparts stores?

Old 01-11-2001, 08:37 PM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

hey, i tried everyone's suggestion and I think the noise is completely gone after taping up the seals. dont' like tape on the mirrors, at least i used black electrical tape on my black CL. yep, i'm trying to avoid driving all the way to the dealer.

i'll see if the noise is gone above 80 mph tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2001, 08:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good idea.

Is there a good source for "clear 3M bra material" from the web, or is it a product commonly found in the cheesy chain autoparts stores?

</font>
I found a link -- hope this is what you are looking for:

http://www.autosupermart.com/shopcart/3m/3m.html

I saw the stuff at the LA Auto Show:

While at the LA convention center (in the accessories section, etc), there was a guy I talked to behind a 3M'd Acura CL-S from 'Alhambra Acura' (The sign -- at the show -- said Alhambra Acura, but the web page I just found says, "Sierra Acura Of Alhambra.)

I looked around for the info, but I messed-up and lost it. Perhaps Alhambra Acura/"Sierra Acura of Alhambra" can give you the name of the guy who does the 3M treatment, etc. I thought it might be nice for the front when/if I need to drive down the Pomona freeway again with open gravel trucks dropping sand into the front of my car at 70mph!

The side mirror "tape" looked OK/Good.

Just a thought...

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-12-2001).]