Whining noise only w/AC on

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 07:58 AM
I start fires

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining noise only w/AC on

I recently noticed that I experience a "dove-like" whining noise that is directly related to the ac. It doesn't increase in pitch or volume with engine speed, just a constant noise. When ac is switched off, noise stops instantly.
Is this normal in these cars or do I need to pay the local dealer a visit on this one? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
It's from the A/C Compressor. It's normal
Old 07-15-2003, 02:18 AM
TRELOS

No it is not normal. I have stared to get the same thing. It was never there 2-3K ago. I hope its not a sign that my A/C compressor is going out .

Juker008
Old 07-15-2003, 06:58 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most commonly the a/c idler pulley is probably making some noise.This is not uncommon have your dealer look at it .
Jens
Old 07-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Juker and other guys who have a CAI will hear this noise much more than those who are stock. I have this too but only heard it after I installed my CAI.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:36 PM
I start fires

I actually had this problem prior to my CAI install and it didn't intensify after adding the CAI. The car is at the dealer right now I'll let ya'll know what the problem was and what was done to remedy it.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My a/c is also making droning noise. Have about 50k miles.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Instructor

i have the same noise, had it since i got the car....pretty sure its just a normal AC noise
Old 07-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Instructor

I can actually remember when it got louder than usual(the whine noise). Once I was merging into traffic and getting near vtec when I realized I had the AC on...the noise started right at that moment and has been there since...nothing too loud but it definately wasn't there when I purchased the vehicle
Old 07-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Let us know what they find.

I have a 5 day old CLS-6, and have been hearing a soft whooshing sound when A/C kicks in.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:49 AM
I start fires

Well, after two and a half days, my service technician called me to inform me that the techs couldn't duplicate my problem with the A/C. He tried to tell me that the problem I was hearing was a vacuum noise from the aftermarket CAI! I told him it most certainly was not and that I would pick up my car in thirty minutes.
>> Got the car, started it up turned on the AC, went to return the loaner, get back to car and what do you know?? After just THREE minutes of idling, the car is making the whining noise! So I drove straight back to the service drive and got the service manager out to listen. He said he couldn't hear anything! I then made the manager go and get a technician and showed the tech the concern. After five minutes, or so the tech went and got the shop foreman who made the following diagnosis:
A bad bearing in the belt tensioner. Noise is only heard when the compressor is engaged because that's when the tensioner is under load. They didn't have any replacements in stock so I have to return the car on Monday to see if this actually fixes the problem.

In addition to this ordeal, my drivers door now has a two foot long scratch on it and the bottom of the door has a large paint chip in it as well. Furthermore, while driving home from the dealership I also noticed that one of my cd's that was in the changer was missing! I'm not very pleased with the level of service from the only Acura dealer in this city, and am wondering if it's possible to have our cars serviced at Honda stores?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the update. I send consolation on the new damage.

Maybe I'll just wait until sound becomes noisier before I go face the aggravation at a dealer. At the moment it sounds like a very soft sigh.

How much did they charge for the loaner?
Old 07-17-2003, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Yeah my acura dealer has screwed me around too!!!!! Im not having probs with my air conditioner though. My right front tire was loosing 15 PSI every week, so i took it into Acura and they had the nerve to tell me there was no leak!!! 5 days later i lost 15 PSI again so i called them and complained again, they said to call michlen cause its not thier warrentee. so i call michlen and they told me i had to take it to a certifyed michlen deal, so i took it to wallmart, they took a look at it and determained it was a bad valve steam and they replaced it for 6 bux. So anyway i get home and take a look at my tire, well the valve stem is an ugly bronnze color, and doesnt have the black rubber up the shaft of the stem, so u see the ugly color and its really really skinny!! just doesnt look right. And then i noticed a fucking gash on my rim!!!! its a perfectly straight line next to my valve steam!!!! its about a cenimeter and a half long and pretty deep. I AM SO PISSED THAT MY ACURA DEALER DIDNT FIX THE TIRE FOR ME. THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE LET ME DRIVE ON A TIRE THAT WOULDNT HOLD PRESURE. FURTHER MORE HAD THE FIXED IT FOR ME, INSTEAD OF BEING ASSHOLES, I WOULDNT HAVE AN UGLY VALVE STEAM NOR A DAM GASH IN MY RIM!!!!!!!!!!! Ok i know that had nothing to with the AC but u can see how shoitty acrua service can be, I just needed to vent. My car is a 3 month old anthrasite 03 CLs. i cant wait till i get my sevy in the mail so i can give them a bad ratting. oh yeah and one guy at acura tryed to tell me i prob bent my rim!!!! the nerve!!!!!! assholes!! oh and they have not fixed my sun roof rattle. they hear it but dont know whats making the noise. they are trying to tell me its just a charicteristic of the car. of and the annoyind shuttering in my driverside window. ok thats enough ranting