wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:49 PM
War Eagle!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel bearings

So I had my tranny replaced in july, while it was there for the recall, I also had 4 new rotors & pads put on, as well as two new ball joints.

Problem:
Lately I've noticed a gradual 'roaring' noise as if I'm riding on 44" super swampers in a jeep. I recognize this noise because I've had mud tires in the past on another vehicle. What bothers me is that it's getting louder, and now it sounds like a grinding noise when I come to a stop.

Possibilities:

1) my tires turn into boggers when I'm not looking
2) acura didn't repack my wheel bearings when they removed the assembly to install new rotors/ball joints, etc.

Advice? should I call them and bitch out my dealer and make them pay for this? how safe is it?

KING ACURA!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have already had to do the ball joints, with 90k on the car wheel bearings, tires or something else could just be worn out.

I'd take it to the dealer and ask them NICELY what the problem is.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by momentum3.2
So I had my tranny replaced in july, while it was there for the recall, I also had 4 new rotors & pads put on, as well as two new ball joints.

Problem:
Lately I've noticed a gradual 'roaring' noise as if I'm riding on 44" super swampers in a jeep. I recognize this noise because I've had mud tires in the past on another vehicle. What bothers me is that it's getting louder, and now it sounds like a grinding noise when I come to a stop.

Possibilities:

2) acura didn't repack my wheel bearings when they removed the assembly to install new rotors/ball joints, etc.

Advice? should I call them and bitch out my dealer and make them pay for this? how safe is it?

KING ACURA!!!

Why would they have to repack the wheel bearings when installing ball joints and rotors??
Old 08-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

This is possible. What kind of tires you running and how old are they? Tires can make a lot of noise. Could be bearings too but you should make sure it's not the tires.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:42 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by linto
Why would they have to repack the wheel bearings when installing ball joints and rotors??
When service technicians replace rotors they typically (are supposed to) check wheel bearings for dirt in the grease, leaks, etc. Usually you have to repack them with grease once you've tinkered with them at all. Since they replaced my rotors, the only thing between the axle spindle and the hub was the wheel bearings. Also, since they replaced my ball joints, (link the steering components to the axle assembly), they more than likely disassembled the entire hub/brake/steering linkage assembly.

My technician more than likely got lazy with my car and performed a half-ass job, since he was also replacing an engine mount and my transmission.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:48 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by ChadT
This is possible. What kind of tires you running and how old are they? Tires can make a lot of noise. Could be bearings too but you should make sure it's not the tires.

Sumitomo HTR+ with about 8500 miles on them...even tire wear, rotated when the tranny was replaced.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Most wheel bearings on cars are sealed units, that require no maintenance. The only thing that can be done, is to inspect the seals for leakage, and jack up the car, and turn the wheels, listen for noise or roughness, check for excessive play. The work that you had done would not require the technician to do anything with the wheel bearings, but he could have noticed a problem while performing this work. Apparently he didn't. What you describe sounds like it may be serious, either check it yourself, if you are mechanically inclined, or have someone check it for you. It may may be related to work performed previously or not.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Honkey

I'd check the tires for cupping. That will cause a noise like that. Typically if the wheel bearings are going out, the noise will go away when you turn one direction...but it sounds exactly like super swampers. Good luck.

-Aaron
Old 08-24-2004, 06:48 PM
War Eagle!!!

Yeah, I'm not too certain, but would expect, that our wheel bearings are sealed. Tire wear looks very normal though, nothing out of the ordinary. I suspect that this is either highly coincedental that this started occuring when the service was done, but it's become gradually worse. At first I thought it was just the roads and I was use to noise because I drove an RSX for two weeks, but this is getting out of hand...
Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect that this is either highly coincedental that this started occuring when the service was done, but it's become gradually worse.
Could be that it's the tires, the rears and fronts have worn differently and when you rotated them is when the noise started. Swap them back and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Adult Supervision

Our bearings are DEFINITELY PACKED SEALED UNITS. No question.

My dealer thinks I need new ones. (lots of money)

I am interested in what Aaron means about cupping. The center of my tires is worn more that the sides (too much air?). Would this possible cause this noise which is so well described by Momentum.

If I raise the front end and turn the wheels (neutral gear) and I hear grinding its bearing. If I hear nothing its tires????
Old 09-02-2004, 11:39 AM
War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted by MikeS 18
Our bearings are DEFINITELY PACKED SEALED UNITS. No question.

My dealer thinks I need new ones. (lots of money)

I am interested in what Aaron means about cupping. The center of my tires is worn more that the sides (too much air?). Would this possible cause this noise which is so well described by Momentum.

If I raise the front end and turn the wheels (neutral gear) and I hear grinding its bearing. If I hear nothing its tires????
I should have updated this before...I had a nail in my tire again, and they patched the front right. Didn't metion anything about bearings or tire wear. Since then, the noise has been much quieter, and now comes from the left only...(as far as I can tell from driving). I'm going to raise her up today and rotate both tires to see if it is grinding like you said, and then determine what's the cause...