Whats a torque sensing steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm Cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats a torque sensing steering?

what is it? and y do we get this torque thingy over the speed senstive steering?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:40 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please elaborate. I dont understand what you are talking about.

Jim
Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I basiclly(sp?) makes it easier to turn the wheel when you going slow like in a parking lot. But get stiffer when your on the road so you can feel more of how the car is performing
Old 01-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
It does exactly what it sounds like. It's senses the amount of torque being fed to the front wheels and it adjusts the steering ratio accordingly, just like speed-sensitive steering does with varying speeds.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:13 PM

what is it? and y do we get this torque thingy over the speed senstive steering?
:noob: :noob: :noob: :noob:
Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm Cool

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
It does exactly what it sounds like. It's senses the amount of torque being fed to the front wheels and it adjusts the steering ratio accordingly, just like speed-sensitive steering does with varying speeds.

if tahts the case, y have different names?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know exactly what Acura is using. Or if they are actually implementing "torque-sensitive steering" (I haven't seen the manuals.)

Here is some "info" that is from the SAE and torque sensing can be used to control a vehicle’s steering -- also in conjunction with VSA (or other stability system [BMW, etc]). Torque sensing generally means that the "twist" that is exerted in one or more directions -- on the steering wheel or rack -- is used in conjunction with the speed sensors to adjust the steering feel.

Here is an excerpt:

"SYSTEM STRUCTURE OF ELECTRICAL POWER STEERING – Functional description – In an electrical power steering system the steering torque initiated by the driver (Fig. 6) is measured by a steering wheel torque sensor and is fed into an electronic control unit. The latter then calculates along with the driving speed a reference torque for the steering motor, which, however, can optionally also depend on the steering angle and steering angle velocity. By means of the calculated reference torque the currents of the steering motor are actuated. Figure 6 shows the pinion-type realization, where at the pinion the electrical torque is superimposed to the torque initiated by the driver. In further versions both torques can be superimposed either on the steering ol or on the rack. In case of a failing electrical component of this steering system the on-boosted mechanical intervention by the driver is maintained."

LINK: http://www.msu.edu/~hoganda2/Resume/2000-01-0822.pdf
Old 01-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And, here is something that should be quite useful. A link to a page on the NSX forum with a bunch of info on the torque sensing system used on the NSX:

"The NSX system consists of a rack-and-pinion steering gear with an electric motor installed concentrically around the rack. The motor transmits its power through a recirculating ball drive mechanism to push the rack right or left.

A "steering sensor" is located on the input shaft where it enters the gearbox housing. The steering sensor is actually two sensors in one: a "torque sensor" that converts steering torque input and its direction into voltage signals, and a "rotation sensor" that converts the rotation speed and direction into voltage signals. An "interface" circuit that shares the same housing converts the signals from the torque sensor and rotation sensor into signals the control electronics can process."

LINK (with all the pics and full info): http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm
Old 01-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by Bobbydoedoe
if tahts the case, y have different names?
I don't get your question. I just told you that torque-sensing steering senses torque, like how speed-sensitive steering senses speed.

Either way, the other guys posted excellent information on the system. Learn.