What is your opinion of this statement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 11:53 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your opinion of this statement?

Some American V8 lover had this in his sig in another forum: "1 lb/ft per CI > 100 hp/L"

My first impression:

*They shouldn't be comparing unequal English and Metric measurements.

But what do you think?
Old 03-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Agree with you.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It reminds me of stoichiometry in high school Chemistry class... a long time ago...those damn ratio conversions that took ten lines to get through and I never got them right.

My assumption is that the statement may be correct, but I am not about to get out my SAE Automotive Handbook to figure it all out. I guess it all depends on the context of the conversation. Perhaps he was all pround of the fact that he knew it - I think he posted it to mess with our minds.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:27 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kahn Man
It reminds me of stoichiometry in high school Chemistry class... a long time ago...those damn ratio conversions that took ten lines to get through and I never got them right.

My assumption is that the statement may be correct, but I am not about to get out my SAE Automotive Handbook to figure it all out. I guess it all depends on the context of the conversation. Perhaps he was all pround of the fact that he knew it - I think he posted it to mess with our minds.
Stoichiometry is merely a porportion. Lets start simple and say you had:

2H2 + O2 --> 2HOH. Here the equation is balanced, so if it is said that there are, in reality, 4 moles of H to start with, then there are 4 moles of the product water, beause Hydrogen and Water are in ratio 1:1. I LOVE CHEMISTRY!!!!!! I actually have stoichiometry homework this weekend. Review from a while ago, the NYS Regents exam is comin up. But next year I signed up for college Chem and I cant wait!
Old 03-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

It appears that the statement is meant to say that Torque is better the HP. Or rather, low speed torque is better than high rev HP. There is no direct conversion unless the RPMs are known.

350 ci w/ 350 lb/ft or 320 HP from 3.2 Liters...
Old 03-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Old timer

Originally posted by scalbert
It appears that the statement is meant to say that Torque is better the HP. Or rather, low speed torque is better than high rev HP.
Yeah that's exactly what he's trying to say. "My American V8 is better than any stupid Jap or German car." I'm just trying to figure out if I can call him on it or not.

Your point about rpms is very good. I think that's the key to proving he's an idiot to claim what he does. That and the fact that unless you know the hp for the torque car and the torque for the hp car, you really aren't comparing anything.
Not to mention weight, traction, etc.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:40 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Originally posted by TypeSAddict

Stoichiometry is merely a porportion. Lets start simple and say you had:

2H2 + O2 --> 2HOH. Here the equation is balanced, so if it is said that there are, in reality, 4 moles of H to start with, then there are 4 moles of the product water, beause Hydrogen and Water are in ratio 1:1. I LOVE CHEMISTRY!!!!!! I actually have stoichiometry homework this weekend. Review from a while ago, the NYS Regents exam is comin up. But next year I signed up for college Chem and I cant wait!
You my good man, need a hobby!
Old 03-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JRock

Yeah that's exactly what he's trying to say. "My American V8 is better than any stupid Jap or German car." I'm just trying to figure out if I can call him on it or not.

Your point about rpms is very good. I think that's the key to proving he's an idiot to claim what he does. That and the fact that unless you know the hp for the torque car and the torque for the hp car, you really aren't comparing anything.
Not to mention weight, traction, etc.
Right. There's too many variables to generalize. You need timeslips for specific cars. That's what matters more than ft/lb per CI or HP/L.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:57 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dajuice27

You my good man, need a hobby!
hobby = chem
Old 03-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mdaniel
Right. There's too many variables to generalize. You need timeslips for specific cars. That's what matters more than ft/lb per CI or HP/L.
And not just from a drag strip, a road course lap times are also a good comparison.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:26 AM
www.drippinwet.com

There is no substitution for displacment

torque is where its at