What would YOU do??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 02:33 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would YOU do??

Lets say you were going to buy a car for around $35k sometime in the next 12months.....would you go for a CL-S....or maybe wait around for the Nissan 350zx, Infiniti G35 coupe, or possibly a new IS300 ( if lexus gives the IS more power). Thanx for your opinions.... I personally want a car w/ superior performance, reliability, and luxury....what do you think fits best?
Old 03-31-2002, 03:12 PM
mushroom mushroom

I was thinking about buying the lexus 300is until I sat in it and then the final blow was when I drove the POS. Yeah they look nice but that car is not even worth $20k. More power or not! I hear the G35 is looking very prosperous. But I still would have to go with the Acura.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What would YOU do??

Originally posted by stellenbosch4
Lets say you were going to buy a car for around $35k sometime in the next 12months.....would you go for a CL-S....or maybe wait around for the Nissan 350zx, Infiniti G35 coupe, or possibly a new IS300 ( if lexus gives the IS more power). Thanx for your opinions.... I personally want a car w/ superior performance, reliability, and luxury....what do you think fits best?
performance wise the 350z ***appears*** to be superior. But I sure as hell wouldn't buy anything I couldn't drive 1st. If you can wait (which I would), test drive one when they are available.

G35 is a nice coupe! But one again...
Old 03-31-2002, 03:24 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Acura hands down. It provides the most bang for the buck. The styling is awesome and their are plenty of aftermarket accessories to make it faster and look better. The fun factor is their when you want it and the rest of the time you can just cruise around in a nice quiet ride with a nice interior and good sound system. Rims are bad but you can change them to whatever you want. The manual transmission isn't a question so....

The '04 CLS will probably see some upgrades in performance to bring in some buyers who might be swayed from the g35. So you will have more performance to go along with the luxury the car already has. Might i had the the '03 also had some redesigns to get rid of the rattles people complained about for the past two years.

If you want just performance then the 350z. However, that car will servearly lack the luxury you want. Moreover, the car is in it's first build year so you'll want to watch for any bugs it might have.

The IS300 is crap. Not enough power and the interior is cheap.

G35. Nice engine but the styling is horrible.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:37 PM
'Cooter

i dunno if there is a legitimate answer, cuz no matter what u choose, u're sacrificing something...for ex:

1. Z - give up 2 seats and possibly some luxury features in place of Track option package or other performance packages...prices starting around $26-$34K

2. G35 - give up some performance features that the Z has...gain 2 more seats...4 doors...more luxury and sportiness combined...starting around $31K

3. CL-S - 2 doors...4 seats where rear 2 are a bit tight...heavy-weight...quick with some mods...decent all-around package...tires unfit for power...quality in materials/fit 'n finish somewhat less than expected...possible tranny issues...prices start around $32K

so i guess u can get a perspective on what i mean here...if i had to choose 1, i might give it to the Z, but im really not sure...it's a close race

i guess i can include the 325i, but we're talking like the base of base models here for the price.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:00 PM
Pro

I'd wait for the 350Z or G35 coupe.

The G35 coupe would be nice because it would give you
the option of 2+2 seating like the CL & also a 6spd manual
or 5spd auto with sport shift.

Pics of G35 coupe look great too.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:02 PM
Retired Post Whore

I first have to test drive the G35 coupe. If that car drives well, that will be my next car. The car looks really nice.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:07 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

I'd wait for the Z test drive it, then test drive the typs S, then decide between the two
Old 03-31-2002, 06:11 PM
Instructor

i woudl consider where u live.i mean like i live in toronto and my dad was gonna buy the Z but he decieded cause its RWD and light that its just not gonna be worth it..whereas the CL is FWD with performance and at least winter capability.

the g35 cant handle winter,350z cant either
Old 03-31-2002, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Just got home from the NYauto show... The G35 coupe is in a word spectacular. 275hp 6spd and rear wheel drive, drop dead gorgeous style, the Infiniti rep says around $34k with every option, will be in showroom Nov 1.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:26 PM
__

Well one thing is for sure, the Acura comes with plenty of standard features. On the Infiniti, you will probably have to pay extra for the same features. Also, don't count on more power for the IS. Lexus' are under powered. If they increased power on the IS, they would have to do something to the other models that share the same V6: ES300, RX300, GS300.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:40 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
Well one thing is for sure, the Acura comes with plenty of standard features. On the Infiniti, you will probably have to pay extra for the same features. Also, don't count on more power for the IS. Lexus' are under powered. If they increased power on the IS, they would have to do something to the other models that share the same V6: ES300, RX300, GS300.

The only V6 powered Lexus is the ES300. The IS, GS and I think the RX300 are all inline 6's.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:42 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

if the G35 coupe is as amazing performance wise as it looks i'd say go for that. i know i would. just wait til the holidays and do some test drives and end up buying yourself a nice present i would say dont bother with the 350Z b/c its basically the same car as the G35 coupe just smaller and less luxurious.

summary -> G35 coupe
Old 03-31-2002, 07:22 PM
fellow MASShole

like ive said plenty of times over already... G35 all the way

MaCe
Old 03-31-2002, 07:31 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the CL. The Z will come out and it will be cool to have for a month or two, then before you know it, they'll be everywhere. Also, I'd wait a year or two so they can work the bugs out of the car. Get a CL......trade it in 2 years later for the Z:P
Old 03-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

G35 coupe all the way.....not even a consideration, for me anyway.

Awesome looks, 6spd, 275hp, RWD (a plus for any real performance car), optional 18's, available aerokit and Brembo's.

G35 sedan with Aerokit

Old 03-31-2002, 08:20 PM
What can I get ya?

What about the RX8? They say it should start around $26000 and fully loaded at about $30000. That seems like some bang for your buck.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JZ

The only V6 powered Lexus is the ES300. The IS, GS and I think the RX300 are all inline 6's.

Avalon/Solara/Camry/ES300/RX300/Highlander all 3.0L V-6's

Variations of the same platform

I don't think the Sienna has the same chassis just motor.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:03 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
RX8????????
Old 03-31-2002, 09:34 PM
I hand out swivel heads

summarizAtion

I have enjoyed reading all these responses and have been pleased by all the correct info being said. I have studied cars for the last 8 months as if it were a full time job. Here is my summarization of things to come including some excerpts from others responses:

The SUV craze is going to end soon as manufacturers turn to the new "cross breed" SUV and "three/five" door cars (ie. station wagons if you ask me). Soon the sports car will be the hottest thing and eventually as we enter the next decade expect to see the HYBRID electric market to explode, so for now lets have our fun!

I will try to organize this opinion based essay in order of my beliefs of the top manufacturers currently on the market. So info has been gained my non-confirmed sources on other forums and through salespeople.

Lexus IS300 is going to get an upgrade, in europe there already is a v8. I would expect this in the 2004 model, probably late year.
The GS400 is getting an upgraded engine as well as a new body kit.

BMW is too "niche" prone and gets very tight trying to please everybody without paying too much.

Audi has been very consistent which can be viewed as being better than having good and bad times. Their new cars are sporty, somewhat luxurious and not too over priced. They offer both automatic as well stick transmissions and have various engines (turbo and all wheel drive).

Acura is having its tranny problems and quality has become an issue as of late. The RSX will bring them back to where they were going, however nothing will replace the LEGEND. The CL is sharp but needs more body kit options, especially from Acura, however they follow up well with the TL.

Infiniti has never been a high luxury contender (Nissan owned), yet the new G35 is a statement as the company hopes to bring the competition to Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus. The 2 door G35 has its definite good qualities but the 4 door is a laughable attempt at a sport/sedan.

Cadillac has tried and tried, but will never win my attention whether due to management or quality or styling issues. The XLT, CTS and soon to come?? XTR are wonderful in style but fall short in quality.

I need not to mention Mercedes...sorry no respect!

Nissan is the Snapple of car manufacturer's...they can admit they are not number one which leaves nothing but improvement. They have been fighting bankruptcy for many years and are improving management and bring attention with their new designs. The Nissan Skyline will be here sooner than we can dream of...it will conquer all cars like the Supra which may have a surprise visit around the same time if Toyota is smart. But the Skyline will have a hefty price tag of 40k+. The Future Z is hot, no doubt, yet we all know the last Z had some tranny issues, issues much worse than the CL. Its performance will give kill lists to make scud missles jealous. Nissan has introduced the ALtima and Maxima earlier this year and gives a view of what Nissan is trying to do...good luck, but they got a chance.

Mazda rx8 was mention...why??? Bad styling, bad ride, FORD owned....does anyone really want one for real? I would rather own a motorized scooter with matching helmet.....

Did I miss anything....there is nothing to argue here...cars are dear to many of us and for me a hobby..everyone has an opinion, just buy what you really want and is it ever worth waiting...something better is always being made.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: summarizAtion

Originally posted by AcurajL

I need not to mention Mercedes...sorry no respect!
469hp blown V8.....no respect huh.

Old 03-31-2002, 11:26 PM
Instructor

If I had to do it all over again I would wait & get G35 from Infinity.
01'CL-S
Old 04-01-2002, 12:52 AM
///M POWER

I'd go with the IS or the CL-S. Test drive both and make your choice. I forgot to look at you location and see where you live if it snows there have fun with the IS in the snow. My cousin got an IS and i still havent driven it so i Dont know how they drive.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:01 AM
7th Gear

I've decided.......G35 coupe....after i drive it first, but overall, its the best i feel....thanx

those pictures Beltfed posted looked sweet
Old 04-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
As much as I hate to say it...go with the G35 coupe.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:26 AM

For $35K?

First choice:

Lancer Evo 7, and a boost controller, UNDER $30K, and will stomp almost anything on the road. AWD+TURBO=276hp

Second Choice:

RX-8. Lots of mods will be available, and its a bad ass car. Looks great in yellow.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by SanMarinoTypeS
Just got home from the NYauto show... The G35 coupe is in a word spectacular. 275hp 6spd and rear wheel drive, drop dead gorgeous style, the Infiniti rep says around $34k with every option, will be in showroom Nov 1.

How big is the back seat...were you able to see it??? Will it have a sunroof on it?
Old 04-01-2002, 10:52 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSKid
For $35K?

First choice:

Lancer Evo 7, and a boost controller, UNDER $30K, and will stomp almost anything on the road. AWD+TURBO=276hp

I doubt you will be seeing the Lancer Evo 7 with 276hp. Most likely a detuned version with about 240-250hp.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Racer

Originally posted by darrinb
I'd go with the IS or the CL-S. Test drive both and make your choice. I forgot to look at you location and see where you live if it snows there have fun with the IS in the snow. My cousin got an IS and i still havent driven it so i Dont know how they drive.

i test drove an is and the cls and even the lexus dealer said the cls was better overall... he said the is was made better and more refined but i didnt see much of a difference, maybe after 10k you would notice better build quailty but i cant comment on that, as for performance the lexus dealer also said the cls was much better... just the lexus dealer and my .02