What is a TCC Circuit Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a TCC Circuit Malfunction?

While driving my "01 CLS yesterday, my Check Engine light, VSA light and caution light (The exclamation point inside the yellow triangle) all came on at the same time. The car felt fine and I kept driving for a few miles as I had just merged onto the freeway. Then after I got off the freeway, turned the car off and restarted it, the check engine light remained on, but the other two shut off. The car does not seem to be driving any different.

This morning I went over to the local auto parts store where they used a computer diagnostic tool to tell me I had a "TCC Circuit Malfunction" Error code "P0740". Has anyone else had this problem before? What does the code mean? The guys at the auto store had no idea. Can I repair it myself or how much will it cost to get fixed?

I should mentioned the weather here in Central Florida has gotten unusually cold very fast in the last two days and that my SRS light has been on for a few months (it came on after a rather "large" acquaintance sat in the passenger seat), but the check engine light was never on before, even when the SRS light was on. Not sure if these might be contributing factors. If anyone has had any prior experience with this type of problem, fill me in on what happened. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

The TCC Circuit is the torque converter clutch circuit. I'd have to look at the manual to see the specifics. If you are good with electrical diagnosis then it is certainly soemthign you can do. Otherwise a trip to the dealer will be required.

If the TCC is not locking up while driving your mileage will suffer.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the information. I checked the transmission fluid level after reading your post and found the fluid was about 3/4 of a quart low. I refilled the fluid level and it has been fine since. The error code was erased by the local auto store and has not come back on. I've got to say though, that fill cap on top of the transmission was a bear to access and loosen. I had to borrow a very long extension and used a very long breaker bar and it still gave me a little trouble.