What r the chances there will b a CL-R/TL-R??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 07:01 PM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What r the chances there will b a CL-R/TL-R??

well there's the RSX-R and the NSX-R...y not the CL-R or TL-R???
Old 06-24-2002, 07:16 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope so!! Honda/Acura really needs to come out with a brand name that people will remember. Instead of changing it they should stick with it. I like the Type R concept. R for Racing. I couldn't see them calling it Type M for mugen....people would be like wtf is mugen??????? R has that nice hard edge to it.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Would it be a RED "R" (for racing) or the new BLUE "R" (for BORING) ???????????????????? :P
Old 06-24-2002, 08:35 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL-R NO WAY, car doesn't go to Japan.
TL-R its a posibility!!

The RSX-R is actually called the Integra Type R
Old 06-25-2002, 01:33 AM
Goldmember

No way on TLR CLR

Who ever heard of racing in a 3500 lb honker with springy suspension? The concept is luxury coupe and sporty sedan. But I'd definitely buy a TLR if they could do something about the interior room.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I think there will be a chance of a TL-R as much as there will be a RL-R
Old 06-25-2002, 02:51 AM
Advanced

LOL

I just had a mental picture of a MDX type R. Where's my PhotoShop?
Old 06-25-2002, 07:38 AM
Banned

Re: No way on TLR CLR

Originally posted by scl23
Who ever heard of racing in a 3500 lb honker with springy suspension? The concept is luxury coupe and sporty sedan. But I'd definitely buy a TLR if they could do something about the interior room.
Last year at the Sebring Show room stock races I asked Peter Cunningham of Real Time racing why they didn't develop the CLS for racing. He told me they tried, but they could never overcome the weight and the lousy distribution. If I remember correctly the weight distribution is 62% front 38% rear. And then people wonder why the magazines prefer BMW's handling!!!
Old 06-25-2002, 01:43 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Here we go all the nay sayers If you dont think Honda/Acura is thinking about something along the lines of a ///M and AMG then you are just plain stupid.

Although the TypeR name may not carry over to whatever performance line that might come out, the crux of Scooter's question still holds. There were always rumors of an MDX-S. Already four out of the six cars in Acura's line-up have performance versions.

BMW handling is great but when a large portion of the population can't/won't buy it because of climate concerns then it doesn't do an automaker any good. RWD is great but for everyday driving for the large portion of the population who doesn't know RWD because they've never driven and/or who doesn't know how to handle a RWD in inclement weather then keeping car platfroms FWD is an EXCELLENT move. Look at TLS sales. Yah, it's not a 5 series but you know what? It's affordable luxury. There are many more people in the current economic layout that will/can afford a TL and TLS than will buy a 5 series. BMW is more of a status symbol than anything. There is a definite exclusivity in driving and owning a BMW. I will venture to say that large portion of BMW driver aren't buying the car because of RWD platform and the phenominal handling etc., They buy the car because the are rich and can afford to pay the high price tag of a status symbol. Only hardcore enthusiast such as ourselves pay attention to the nitty gritty.

I think Acura has a great plan. As volume goes up cost for goodies such as NAVI, heated seats, heated mirrors etc., are included in the price. Sure they fawked up hardcore the CLS but they rarely make the same mistake twice. Anybody remember the SLX???? POS. MDX is selling like bottles of cold water in a desert.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:58 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Zapata
I think Acura has a great plan. As volume goes up cost for goodies such as NAVI, heated seats, heated mirrors etc., are included in the price. Sure they fawked up hardcore the CLS but they rarely make the same mistake twice. Anybody remember the SLX???? POS. MDX is selling like bottles of cold water in a desert.
remember the CL?? they fuked it up...TWICE

if they wind up keeping the CL or redesigned it a second time, i would hope they don't fuk it up yet again...that means no tranny issues...that means manual and auto options...that means a more radical look...that means QUALITY parts, including paint...etc etc etc.

most of all, FIRE THE ENTIRE MARKETING TEAM!!! tho the RSX commercials were in promoting the sportiness to it, and the 1 TL-S commerical with the chowda was good
Old 06-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Scooter

remember the CL?? they fuked it up...TWICE

if they wind up keeping the CL or redesigned it a second time, i would hope they don't fuk it up yet again...that means no tranny issues...that means manual and auto options...that means a more radical look...that means QUALITY parts, including paint...etc etc etc.

most of all, FIRE THE ENTIRE MARKETING TEAM!!! tho the RSX commercials were in promoting the sportiness to it, and the 1 TL-S commerical with the chowda was good

Eh the first CL was a good introduction of luxo-sport coupe. Acura isn't that old of a company. Now with the 2nd gen CL. They only screwed up on one big thing and that was not offering the 6MT /LSD from one. Yeah, tranny issue is there for sure but it's not like the BMW radiator which would cause the car to catch fire. Don't get me wrong having a tranny fail in the middle of rush hour isn't a small thing but that isn't the reason why the CLS didn't get respect sooner. As far as the marketing team goes. I really don't know there. I'm not sure if Acura was prepared t have as many young people like ourselves go after a luxury car like the CLS. You can tell that they were aiming for the "empty nest" syndrome type of people. You can bet that the next sport coupe will be more appropriately marketed.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:01 AM
Advanced

Hmmmm

There is nothing wrong with the latest version of the CLS. I like my car. For day to day driving I don't care about having a 50/50 weight balance. I had that in my old BMW, big deal I wasn't a racer so it doesn't matter. If you hate or are miserable with your CLS sell it and get a "properly" balanced and lighter racer with the incredible and incredibly useless quarter mile times. I see no evidence that the majority or even near majority of total CLS' have the mechanical problems mentioned on this forum.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:12 AM
'Cooter

Re: Hmmmm

Originally posted by JimBob
There is nothing wrong with the latest version of the CLS. I like my car. For day to day driving I don't care about having a 50/50 weight balance. I had that in my old BMW, big deal I wasn't a racer so it doesn't matter. If you hate or are miserable with your CLS sell it and get a "properly" balanced and lighter racer with the incredible and incredibly useless quarter mile times. I see no evidence that the majority or even near majority of total CLS' have the mechanical problems mentioned on this forum.
this has nothing to do with liking/not liking the CLS...this has to do with Acura's ability to market/target/appeal to the right audience with the CLS, and they DIDN'T...clearly, u can tell by just looking at the numbers...Acura's intent was to appeal to older couples with their kids long since moved out...take a look at the demographics on this board...the majority of CL/CLS owners are between the ages of 20 and 24 (look at the age poll thread)...granted, u can't judge the entire US population on 6,500 members, but if u look at how the sales plumeted month after month, CL's just aren't sellin...the 6-speed came at an interesting time tho, but since there's a limited production between roughly 2,300 and 2,700, the 6-speed isn't really gonna revive the CL market...which is y many people here as well as car magazines are talking about the likelihood the CL is gonna b halted, which would suk royally

i personally have had very few problems and only 1 major problem that has seemed to go away, which is nice!! i've had no tranny issues thus far with almost 17K, so i'm VERY pleased...i was happy when i bought the car, and im even more happy now...so again, i'm not attacking this issue from the standpoint of me not liking my baby, cuz i love my baby bigtime...i take such pleasure when i mod/Zaino her
Old 06-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I think Scooter touches on a few good points here. I don't think Acura could've predicted that the CL would've been such a hit with the younger crowd. The combination of the new peformance craze and "new/old" economy really gave many younger people some money they wouldn't have normally had. The planning if a redesign must be atleast 1-2 years ahead of the actual production so the marketing staff would've really had to been mind readers to figure out what happened. Younger(us) crowd wants the performance but not necessarily the "teg" image. CLS is a VERY palatable compromise. I don't think Acura made a mistake i think what happened with the CL was a oddity.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Every facet of the TL/CL goes against what the R designation represents, namely all out performance. So don't expect to see a CL Type-R but a hotter Type-S is a definite possibility..

I have a feeling many of the same people crying for a CL-R will bitch and moan like kids if it ever would come out and owners of CL-P's and older CL's start slapping badges on their rides.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:30 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by tuRb0mikEy
Every facet of the TL/CL goes against what the R designation represents, namely all out performance. So don't expect to see a CL Type-R but a hotter Type-S is a definite possibility..

I have a feeling many of the same people crying for a CL-R will bitch and moan like kids if it ever would come out and owners of CL-P's and older CL's start slapping badges on their rides.
Good observation between the type-s and type-r

I don't think anybody is crying for an cl-r, it was just a question