What is the point of buying 17" aftermarket rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 03:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One other question blxmjx: Why the hell haven't you posted your pics in the gallery? Get them posted NOW!!!

------------------
'01 Pimp Daddy Gold CL-S - Comptech Springs - 17" BBS RX Wheels
Coming Soon: Bridgestone RE730 tires, maybe Comptech Sways
My PimpinTypeS More pics of my PDG
Old 01-11-2001, 04:27 AM
Cruisin'

In terms of vehicles these days, its all about customization. Regardless of the size of the rim, the important factor is they are different from everyone elses.

------------------
96 Maxima (Auto)
CL:S Purchase Date March, 2001
Old 01-11-2001, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have great wide tires on 17" wheels. I already had a Valet scratch one of the wheels when it had the stock tires on them.

They look nice *and* I'm happy with them.

1. Some people like the looks of various sizes/combos -- they are making a statement and they are having fun (why question that).

2. Some people find a particular tire/wheel combo that they really like for performance. Slightly worse ride, but great turn in.

I wouldn't mind getting some wheels like Astroboy's (but in 17"). They look very nice, they have the right offset, and they are lighter. I posted the link to that January '01 Sport Compact Car article *and* bigger wheels only slow down the car if the rotation inertia is greater (same type wheel in a bigger size). I haven't found a manufacturer yet that gives that spec.

However, if someone wanted to pick up some performance, it wouldn't hurt getting some really well built wheels in 17" that are the SAME SIZE and LIGHTER. Hmmm, better un-sprung weight, braking, and acceleration.

Finally, while I am very, very happy with my 235/45ZR17-W97 Toyo T1S Proxies, they might perform a bit better *and* I would get a beefier look with wider wheels.

My opinion only...

Old 01-11-2001, 09:54 AM
SatinCL

Live in the Northeast for 1 month and you'll understand.

Personally, 18's were just too much wheel for the car.

[This message has been edited by Satin01CL (edited 01-11-2001).]
Old 01-11-2001, 03:06 PM
Racer

My final comment on the subject...Blxmjx, your car looks dope!!!

See people, check out his ride at the link in the post above, what a difference an inch makes!

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
Old 01-11-2001, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin01CL:
Live in the Northeast for 1 month and you'll understand.

Personally, 18's were just too much wheel for the car.
</font>

Amen to that. There's no way I would ever go up to 18" up here either....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(
Old 01-11-2001, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJ Silver Type-S:
Ok AL and Jayru let me address your attacks:.....snip, snip.....

AL - I drive a type-s w/ the pro-kit, and I dont see any reason to go out and buy a new set of tires on my stock rims anyway since the michelins work great for me. However, I did own an Integra on which I had both 16" and 17" rims, both with 40 series tires. While I did pop a tire, I never once bent a rim.
The rest of your post is somewhat garbled so ill let you explain yourself before I respond. Import scene on the east coast, ha, that is where rice rockets got a bad name with all that crap they sell in the NOPI catalog; some people will buy anything (shopping-cart wing).
....snip,....snip

</font>
Attacks!! Au contraire! Only in so far as you saying,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">we have the best looking women, best looking cars...I guess I just need to be patient cuz you guys will know where I am coming from in like 2 years. Give it time.</font>
will I ever get into negative personal attacks on somebody. I'll leave that for others who don't want to mention names.

And yes SJ Silver Type-S I duly noted your " " after your comment so I'd hoped (in vain) you would have noted my twin grins.

As for being garbled, yessireee, maybe you might have better understood if I had quoted my main point another way. Perhaps the following is somewhat confusing, FOCKING STUPID STOCK RIMS will scratch on an automatic carwash.

Erm, I think you're being a trifle nonresponsive on this point because unlike those of us who live in colder climes, you may never have to take your car to an automatic carwash and face the reality of exiting that carwash with scratched rims. Your a lucky one indeed if so.

So you had larger rims on your teg. If mem serves my teg did not pretend to have a sport-tuned multi-link suspension with stiffer damping profiles as my S has. The S's stiffer profile might be one reason why after upgrading the suspension by adding Comptech springs/sways some of us might stay with the stock diameter rim so that we don't sacrafice more ride softness by going to a larger rim with the attendant necessity of then using lower profile rubber.

Its all in sharing info and ideas and not criticizing others for trying out the same.

Btw I'm still on the stock rollers but I also (as you've also claimed) would love Racing Hart C2's. I would like them for both weight and looks. I think its alright for those reasons, you?

Peace …
Al

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards