What platform might the next gen. CL be built on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What platform might the next gen. CL be built on?

If Acura decides to once again chase the competition and turn the next generation CL into more of a true sports coupe (by which time people will probably be sick of the Sports coupe market and the CL will flop again), which platform would it be built on?

Could a smaller CL be built on the same Accord sedan platform as teh TL or does the Accord coupe have its own platform that could potentially be used? Or do you think Acura would do the unthinkable and design its own platform for the CL (Highly, highly doubt it--we may not approve of Acura's conservative nature but I'm sure it makes them money and allows them to offer nice cars at a reasonable price).

I'm just curious because I'm hoping that in two years a new CL more along the lines of the G35 will come out and that would be a perfect time to get rid of my current car.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: What platform might the next gen. CL be built on?

Originally posted by JZ
If Acura decides to once again chase the competition and turn the next generation CL into more of a true sports coupe (by which time people will probably be sick of the Sports coupe market and the CL will flop again), which platform would it be built on?
The following is not based on facts, just complete bullshit.

The next generation CL will be named the XL and will be built on the Honda S2000 RWD platform. The new model will be offered in convertible form first (with optional removeable hardtop), with a coupe model to follow. Sorry guys, the XL will only be a 2 seater. Depending on sales, a 4 seat version may be offered at a later date.

The new XLS will be powered by a 320hp 3.5 V6 backed by a 6spd transmission only (the base XL will have a 285 hp engine,with the option of auto or manual transmission). Brembo brakes will be standard on the front and rear. 18 inch SSR GT1's will be standard on the XLS (the base will receive 17' SSR GT1's).

A TypeR Comptechusa version will be offered for $6500 over the XLS MSRP which will include an intercooled supercharger (estimated to boost hp to the 360-380hp range), stiffer sways, adjustable struts/springs, and a optional 19' set of wheels. Final details on this package are still being decided.

The XL will be marketed to a younger demographic then the current CL, and the new ad compaign will be aimed at attracting new owners to the Acura Family.

MSRP of the XL, XLS, and XLR are still to be determined

Edit:

If the CL does re-appear, I would think that it would be based on the 7th gen (2003) accord coupe.

There's a 6th gen accord coupe at work, and if I park next to it, it's really interesting how much the lines of the cars are similiar (the roof line is exactly the same). The current CL is based on the 6th gen Accord, with a bunch of TL parts thrown in