What makes a good driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes a good driver?

Looking at some of the posts in the "racing stories" forum, I notice posters designating some as bad drivers. Our cars are automatic, I mean how can you get it wrong? Just stomp it to the floor and go. Am I wrong? I know the SS can be used but how can that go wrong? I don't really race other cars on the road, I was just curious if there is a way I can go faster, better. I know what our cars have under the hood and can't believe that I sometimes have trouble pulling ahead of other cars, like 325's and such, maybe I just don't stay on it long enough to get to the sweet spot, I don't know. I know our cars arent that great right off the line. It sounds like most of the guys(and girls) in this forum are avid weekend racers, If I knew more about driving perhaps It would help.
Thanks.

------------------
01 CL TYPE S: BLK/BLK, CHARCOAL, NAVI, 18" MASITALY'S, EIBACH SPRINGS.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

There is some debate about whether or not good driving means anything when you're in an automatic. One thing is for sure... it means less than when you're driving a manual! In an automatic, you can do what's called "brake-torquing" which is holding down the brake and pushing on the gas til the rpms rise a little bit (to about 2000rpm in the CL-S. Then you simultaneously give it full throttle and let off the brake to get a harder launch like you were driving a manual. So, I guess that's one thing you can do in an auto to be a "better" driver. But I certainly wouldn't make a habit of doing that and it's actually a lot harder than it sounds. The few times I've tried it, I've ended up boggin down the engine by not releasing the brake fast enough and I think I launched even slower that way.

Now, as far as not being able to pull on other cars, I'd have to say I cannot put enough emphasis on the word timing. There are a lot of cars out there that, in manual tranny form, are only a few ticks off our CL-S. That's not a whole lot. Don't expect to be blowing past anything that isn't at least a full second slower to 60 than our car. Also, if someone gets a jump on you, it really can take awhile to pull them in - especially if it's a car that's just a little slower than our car. A Celica GT-S is a good example. The first time I raced one, he was behind me by a couple car lengths, I heard him get on it and I got cocky and waited til he got even with me before I hit it thinking I'd blow him away! Not so!! He had a lot of momentum and I never fully caught up to him (we went up to about 80mph from 20mph). Then at the next 2 lights, we went at it "fair & square" and I took him down by a few car lengths each time. That's with him launching his car really hard and me just stomping it. Since I couldn't take him down from a rolling start, I actually thoguht I was gonna lose from a light. But a fast reaction time means a lot out on the street.
Old 03-02-2001, 02:38 PM
Advanced

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
There is some debate about whether or not good driving means anything when you're in an automatic. One thing is for sure... it means less than when you're driving a manual! In an automatic, you can do what's called "brake-torquing" which is holding down the brake and pushing on the gas til the rpms rise a little bit (to about 2000rpm in the CL-S. Then you simultaneously give it full throttle and let off the brake to get a harder launch like you were driving a manual. So, I guess that's one thing you can do in an auto to be a "better" driver. But I certainly wouldn't make a habit of doing that and it's actually a lot harder than it sounds. The few times I've tried it, I've ended up boggin down the engine by not releasing the brake fast enough and I think I launched even slower that way.

Now, as far as not being able to pull on other cars, I'd have to say I cannot put enough emphasis on the word timing. There are a lot of cars out there that, in manual tranny form, are only a few ticks off our CL-S. That's not a whole lot. Don't expect to be blowing past anything that isn't at least a full second slower to 60 than our car. Also, if someone gets a jump on you, it really can take awhile to pull them in - especially if it's a car that's just a little slower than our car. A Celica GT-S is a good example. The first time I raced one, he was behind me by a couple car lengths, I heard him get on it and I got cocky and waited til he got even with me before I hit it thinking I'd blow him away! Not so!! He had a lot of momentum and I never fully caught up to him (we went up to about 80mph from 20mph). Then at the next 2 lights, we went at it "fair & square" and I took him down by a few car lengths each time. That's with him launching his car really hard and me just stomping it. Since I couldn't take him down from a rolling start, I actually thoguht I was gonna lose from a light. But a fast reaction time means a lot out on the street.
</font>
Thanks alot GoldTypeS, I was pretty sure there wasn't much I could do but wanted to know for sure just the same. I'm glad to know it's not just me. I'm pretty much over racing others on the street, it doesn't really make much sense but on a track I'm sure it's a different story. I love my car anyway and think it's probably better to not be so hard on it, it's my everyday car, I need it to last. Thanks again.

------------------
01 CL TYPE S: BLK/BLK, CHARCOAL, NAVI, 18" MASITALY'S, EIBACH SPRINGS.
Old 03-03-2001, 10:22 PM
Pro

(time tire are squeeling/tire tires are not)+(time VSA is off/Time VSA is on)+(Time in d4/time in D5)+((time in D3/time in D4 or D5)*2)-(number of wrecks)+(amount spent on mods/number of mods)+(time spent in shop installing mods/time spent in shop due to mod related damage)-(extra miles between regualrly scheduled matiance)+(amount of work done by self that worked/work done by self that resulted in trip to shop for repairs)=X

If X>10 then good driver
Else bad driver

I think I've spent too much time in computer progam but as you can see it is determined by many factors.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S "Claire" non-navi No spoiler. Bone stock, for now.
~Member of the Scratched Rim Club.~

[This message has been edited by [DWI] (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 05:13 AM
Pro

any body can learn to drag race, good driving is corners and whipping through traffic or other cars, but then again i learned to drive in ny, so cuting in and out of others cars was a necceity

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
"Tell me kid, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light"
Old 03-11-2001, 02:47 PM
Race Director

great story!